AJMBA Kanto Regional Competition

yama

The Kanto Regional of the All Japan Marching Band Association held their regional competition on November 8-10, 2002. This 3-day event took place in Yokohama City, Japan near Tokyo. 44 Junior HS, Senoir HS and Independent marching bands, brass and drum corps, and drum and bugle corps competed to earn their way to the All Japan Grand National Championships on January 18-19, 2003 at the world famous Budohkan Hall. Here is a partial list of those units who advanced to Nationals. You will recognize some of the units who've been to America in the past.

Independent Units

1st Soka Renassaince Vanguard

2nd Yokohama Robins

3rd Yokohama Inspires D&BC (2002 DCA Finalist)

4th Tokyo Phoenix D&BC

5th Yokohama Scouts D&BC (1996 DCI 2/3 Participant & 1999 DCI 2/3 Finalist)

High School (Under 60 members)

Gold Tokyo Vocational HS "Phoniex Regiment" (1995 DCI 2/3 Finalist)

Drum Corps Japan

DCJ remains true to their mission statement where they only allow units who use G-bugles to join their organization and compete. DCJ will be hosting the Hachioji Open on November 23rd and the DCJ Championships in December 8, 2002. The Yokohama Scouts will be defending their championship title against the Yokohama Inspires, Royal Kilties (aka Pride of Soka), Tokyo Phoenix, Cherry Blossoms, Imperial Sound, Phoenix Regiment, Sonic Lancers, and Bay Max.

DCJ 2001 Recaps

Sounds very interesting. Looks like Japan has a large number of performing groups. What are they like. What kind of music do the perform etc etc...

I have had very little exposure to drum corps in Asia so anything you can add would be great reading! ^0^

A little something I have found....

09kirutes35.jpg

The Royal Kilties

10runeban41.jpg

Soka Renaissance

07tokyo_feni27.jpg

Tokyo Phoenix

06yokohama23.jpg

Yokohama Scouts

The thing that strikes me here is the look of quality from these groups and also the relatively large size of the groups. These are just a small sample of pics that I have found by doing a google search, but I find them very impressive. Also, I really like the uniforms oaf all the groups but especially those of Soka Renaissance. Think they would look much better with black shakos instead of white though!

Can cd's or dvd's of any of these groups be found and if so where? I would buy!

I accually got to watch a marching band contest over here in Osaka just a few weeks ago.

Some of the Elementary school "Yes, I said elementary" schools are just amazing. The High school groups can do a heck of a lot for the amount of space they use as a marching field.

I saw a few drum corps also. Basically, with everyone talking about indoor corps, that is waht Japan is.

Many of the shows are the same shows that would see from any high school marching band or drum corps in the U.S.

You can purchase videos and what not at the show sites.

A little something I have found....

{pics of several Japanese drum corps}

I really like the uniforms of all the groups but especially those of Soka Renaissance. Think they would look much better with black shakos instead of white though!

What, no picture of the Inspires?

The Soka Vanguard got new uniforms shortly after that picture was taken. They went from a decent, recognizable uniform with plenty of color, to almost all-black.

2002111004.jpg

Like Phantom's all-black uni, their new ones are kinda blah. However I do like the gold inside bell. Reminds me of mid-80 Crossmen.