Old WGI Photos

lnavis

It's so funny for me to see that Snyder High pic! When I was in high school, winterguard was dead in west Texas.....I had to beg for us to do WTAC and an exhibition show at NTCA!

Brian- Have you seen inside the Big Spring band hall? Rocky's got all these pics from the early 80's to early 90's from the old winterguard days in west Texas. It's really neat.

It's so funny for me to see that Snyder High pic! When I was in high school, winterguard was dead in west Texas.....I had to beg for us to do WTAC and an exhibition show at NTCA!

Brian- Have you seen inside the Big Spring band hall? Rocky's got all these pics from the early 80's to early 90's from the old winterguard days in west Texas. It's really neat.

There was a point a few years back when there were 20 active winterguards in the Panhandle/West Texas (not counting El Paso who do their own thing...). Then poof! Some say it was the 9/11 money crunch, others say it was the "Sosa" Effect. I blame the band directors. They didn't know how to develop those programs once the trend setting instructors either graduated from college, moved to the Metroplex, or retired. The last time I judged WTAC there were twelve finished indoor shows in prelims... And, this was in SEPTEMBER 1999! The entire spectacle started at seven in the morning and I sat in on the last critique around midnight.

No more. Shame. <**>

EDIT - If a school down there were serious about developing a competitive program I'd move back in a heart beat. I love NE Oklahoma, but I'm a Texas boy. *spit* *pa-ching*

Edited by mpsanchez

Lynne I tried fixing some of your state street pics. My good friend Lynn Wharton marched that year. Other people I instructed/marched with were Bob Newberry and Matt Catanzarro.

Dream1fixed.jpg

Dream1fixed2.jpg

Dream2fixed.jpg

Dream2fixed2.jpg

1974Regals.jpg

Regals of Racine, 1974 as seen on the the cover of the April 1974 edition of Drum Corps America Magazine.

I was disappointed when I saw this picture because the whole guard wasn't in it, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you for starting this thread!!

Edited by The Girl

Lynne I tried fixing some of your state street pics. My good friend Lynn Wharton marched that year. Other people I instructed/marched with were Bob Newberry and Matt Catanzarro.

Dream1fixed.jpg

Lynn is the front Dream Girl.

These are old old pictures...before digital cameras!!!

No, I haven't been to been to Big Spring since Mariah folded in 88. I went back to Snyder for homecoming and found out that one of the former band directors trashed all of the guard trophies that we won. We had a giant silver bowl trophy that we won a SWAC in 83 and that is the only one they kept. It really sucks.

This is one of my favorite threads on here!! Soon I'll have time (and the nerve) to scan some of my old pics on here!