Old WGI Photos

lnavis

Spartans, Vancouver Washington (I think, not sure) warm ups. They performed to the music of Maynard Ferguson’s “Chameleon”.

77-15-warmup-spartans.png

To be continued…due to video to still method, the files are large, takes time to upload to the bucket; I’m hoping for no technical difficulties but may need assistance down the road and I counted 51 stills, not 50, I labeled 2 with the number 14, oh my.

Marksmen, Seattle Washington performed with the music “The Show Must Go On”.

77-14-on-the-floor-marksmen.png

I remember this Marksmen show, the first part was done with no audio, much like old school military maneuvers. The only audio you heard was the slapping of the rifles, the wind of the flags and the Captain's commands, I remember the timing was quite impressive.

Then "The Show Must Go On" (music of Three Dog Night) During the "fun-house" music segment, the rifles aimed and fired at the flag members, much like the shooting gallery at a carnival.

Their Guard Captain, Jill Hudson later became Drum Major for the Imperials in 1980.

I remember this Marksmen show, the first part was done with no audio, much like old school military maneuvers. The only audio you heard was the slapping of the rifles, the wind of the flags and the Captain's commands, I remember the timing was quite impressive.

Then "The Show Must Go On" (music of Three Dog Night) During the "fun-house" music segment, the rifles aimed and fired at the flag members, much like the shooting gallery at a carnival.

Their Guard Captain, Jill Hudson later became Drum Major for the Imperials in 1980.

I didn't get to see Marksmen. Thanks for the info. Would have loved to see that program. I'm having photobucket issues since posting a Weekend Happening and not sure why. Most of my uploads are JPEGS but these are PNG image. I may have a still of Jill on PNG image number 23. Wish me luck or if someone from techical support can help me. I'd be grateful!

As an aside, we had a reunion July 2011. Nancy flew up from California. She marched AAG snare for about 7 years and winter guard too as a member and instructor. At the reunion she said "Stanley asked me to march my age out year with Seattle Imperials 1982 and I did". I said, "wow Nancy, I didn't know that". Did she march drums or guard? I'll ask next time I see her unless you know :smile:

As a recap, Brenda made DVDs and CDs for our reunion in 2006. She also made one DVD for our reunion in 2011 and added a digitized version of ‘A Weekend Happening’ documentary of a winter guard contest held in Seattle February 26 and 27 1977. I viewed the video August 2011 (first time ever) on a laptop, used a snipping tool to capture stills, posted the stills to my bucket and funky things happened. A lot of uploads disappeared! The next 8 posts are an experiment where I opened in Paint, selected Save As and it asked ‘…transparency may be lost. Do you want to continue?’ (I said yes) resized to 80% and Saved again. “The Show Must Go On”.

It felt good to do our first show ever and get the jitters out of the way. Shauna, full time guard, is on the left with a great smile and Brenda, on the right was happy too. Brenda was a serious lead sop player 1972-1977. As an instructor, I found that winter programs increased the musicians’ performance skills in summer.

77-16-happy-aag-shauna-brenda-80.png

Pam and I were traveling visual staff and co-dms during our 10 week drum corps tour of Europe summer of 77. We continued to work together for 4 years. We were a good team, worked well together, an extrovert and an introvert, we had a great time! Pam said “I’m pretty darn proud of what you did, really liked the show, everybody smiled, everybody turned on the way they were supposed to.”

77-17-pam-and-aag-80.png