WAL MART

You know, being someone who marches, one thing always brightens my day when it comes into view either on tour, or during spring training. That thing, is Wal-Mart. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Wal-Mart. What makes this shopping supercenter so great? It has everything necessary for drum corps. Bungee cords? check. Gatorade/Powerade/Propel? check. Cheap sunglasses you dont have to worry about losing somewhere on the bus or at a housing site? check. Wal-Mart is pretty much a giant mecca for kids who march (myself included obviously)

I guess the point is... why doesn't Wal-Mart sponsor DCI/a drum corps? has any idea such as this been stated previously, and I just need to use the search tool?

any input is appreciated.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go Shopping...

at the Wal-Mart...

(Sorry, If any Canton kids read this, they'll understand;))

~Jon Cordell

They SHOULD! Do you realize how much money Wally World gets from Drum corps, both from the cook trucks and the members/staff themselves?!

Every town we stop at we look for a walmart. When we need to do a 'stop' for personal stuff, where do we go? Walmart. I can count 20 times we went to walmart....and that was just the staff (eventhough we all love Target more)! The cooks went atleast 3x a week. You think to :

feed a corps one meal x 3 Meals a day x 7 days in a week x 10-12 weeks = A LOT OF SHOPPING AT WALMART.

I go Shopping...

at the Wal-Mart...

(Sorry, If any Canton kids read this, they'll understand;))

~Jon Cordell

Oh Cordell...BCCG sang

Let's go Shopping....at the wall mart...

Leave it to the BCCG to make songs to go with the music.

The song we had in 2004 for a certain part of the show wasnt so nice towards certain individuals....

Actually, I worked at a Walmart here in Florida a couple of years ago in Accounting. And when I was there I found out they have certain programs that non profit organizations can profit from if they took the time to investigate it.

Like, for instance, I went to my store manager and asked if they could donate some money to Magic when their food truck was down and they did, they donated alot of money, now whether they got a new food truck with that, I don't know. Plus a few years ago at a Kennesaw show when they did their food drive, I got them to donate some food to it.

So the problem isn't that Walmart won't, it's that the drum corps community needs to learn how to go and ask for it. You'd be surprised what you'd get if you would ask.

I went looking around other stores too, like Lowes and Home Depot. They also have similiar programs although they were more willing to donate equipment to build scaffolds, etc..but I was going to go to Sam's club,and see if they would donate food in bulk but I quit volunteering for Magic.

There are other ways corps can profit. Walmart has a "match" program. Say like if you have car wash in their parking lot and raise money there, the store will much the profit.

Just go to a local Walmart and ask to speak to the Store manager. If I was a kid looking for donations to sponsor, I certainly would present myself in a professional manner presenting to them all the facts of how the activity is good for the community and what it does for the community. Walmart and other stores like Target are always looking to get involved in these type of non profit organizations.

I even talked to DCI about this once and tried to pitch the idea to get Walmart to be a sponsor, but it fell on deaf ears..You could possibly pitch that it'd be an advertising tax write off for them if they donate corporate sponorship...so before you start branding Walmart as Evil..hold the phone..

Edited by Lancerlady

While I've shopped at Wal-Mart (especially when getting ready for tour) as much as the next person, to support Wal-Mart through the acceptance of some type of financial sponsorship would indirectly condone their appauling sense of business ethics. Never before has any other corporation bullied manufacturers in the way that Wal-Mart does, not to mention the argument concerning small local businesses. Take a moment and research the demise of Rubbermaid (once a highly respectable American business) , you'll find that the devastating pressure placed on the manufacturer by Wal-Mart was the primary cause. And let's not even bring up the subversive psychology at work in their "every day low prices." This company's malfeasance is well documented and presents a strong case against ever seeking them out as a corps sponsor.

Obviously I recognize the hypocrisy in making such a statement and continuing to shop at Wal-Mart on occassion, but while I can stomach the repeated visits while packing for tour and the acquisition of large quantities of food during a laundry day, the thought of Wal-Mart sponsoring any part of Drum Corps International makes me cringe. Besides, a multitude of other, more appropriate corporate sponsorship options have already been mentioned above.

Edited by horn_star

Well what about asking "Sams club", wouldn't that be more appropriate anyway since they are for "small business" and they do everything in bulk?