Got any interesting, pitiful, sad stories...

...a couple of years ago, I got a pm on my AIM...he had claimed to be a corps member, and he told me that I was going to jail!

I wanted to know why...he was not sure, because 'they' were working out the details. The funny thing was that he did not even know what I do for the corps

Hum...jail would be easier than cooking on tour?....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have too much respect for the activity and its participants to EVER

think about telling people I marched, the activity is different from other

sports, symphonies, or any other groups.

There's always a situation at finals or any show where you may be talking to

a buddy that's marching that year or on staff or selling souvies or whatever and

someone else comes up and you feel it coming.......here it comes!!!!

"You march?"

And you know that person didn't mean anything but what

he or she said and you also know that person probably won't

harbor any preconceived notions about you when you say "umm, no."

It's still tough.

After attend several finals, regionals, small shows, camps, and being

aquainted with many members and volunteers......

When that question is asked, I STILL want to just crawl in a hole!

I feel like I've got a valid opinion on many aspects of the activity. But I don't

even discuss those in front of FMM or CMM.

It'd be like telling a Vietnam Vet what your thoughts are of the Vietnam

War while you ran to Canada.....I know, a little extreme, but just an example.

Anyway, yeah, NEVER say you marched when you haven't. Most corps members

don't care one way or another. And respecting the activity that those that took

part in it may cause you to squelch your ego a little, but it'll be OK

It saddens me that there are enough examples to populate this topic.

Back in 1978, a good friend and I tried but failed to march in a corp. He never let it go, and crafted an elaborate lie about our history together marching with _____ . Eventually he got married, and spent a lot of time regaling his wife with tales of our exploits. Long story short, I can no longer associate with this once dear friend, because I refuse to include myself in his lie to his wife.

It's now clear that he has deeper problems, of which this is just a symptom. Wish I could have helped.

For the record, I never marched, but I still love the activity, support it financially, and do my best to attend finals. It's only a yearly touch, but it gives me a huge boost to see people giving their all and making something great and beautiful happen. What a contrast to my friend carrying around this burdensome lie, and enjoying not much of anything anymore.

Guess I'll go read a happier topic.

While I have too much respect for the activity and its participants to EVER

think about telling people I marched, the activity is different from other

sports, symphonies, or any other groups.

There's always a situation at finals or any show where you may be talking to

a buddy that's marching that year or on staff or selling souvies or whatever and

someone else comes up and you feel it coming.......here it comes!!!!

"You march?"

And you know that person didn't mean anything but what

he or she said and you also know that person probably won't

harbor any preconceived notions about you when you say "umm, no."

It's still tough.

After attend several finals, regionals, small shows, camps, and being

aquainted with many members and volunteers......

When that question is asked, I STILL want to just crawl in a hole!

I feel like I've got a valid opinion on many aspects of the activity. But I don't

even discuss those in front of FMM or CMM.

It'd be like telling a Vietnam Vet what your thoughts are of the Vietnam

War while you ran to Canada.....I know, a little extreme, but just an example.

Anyway, yeah, NEVER say you marched when you haven't. Most corps members

don't care one way or another. And respecting the activity that those that took

part in it may cause you to squelch your ego a little, but it'll be OK

I used to feel the same way. As a life-long fan and supporter of drum corps, I always felt bad about saying, "no, I never marched" around corps members and alumni, particularly given the fact that I was always (and still am) on staff with FMMs at the various marching bands I've taught, and we frequently discussed corps. But one day, it just clicked for me: my opinion is just as valid on many aspects of the activity as theirs, and I will now readily voice it. I also have to credit part of that realization to the fact that the FMMs I'm on staff with are great guys and not at all judgmental. That said, I'll freely admit that, because I didn't march, there are aspects of my opinion that my be devalued by those that did (and perhaps rightfully so). And that's fine. But as far as making any kind of character judgment about me, I figure that if a FMM does that, it's their problem and not mine. So I'd tell you this: while you should always be respectful of corps alumni and their experience, realize that you can hold and express opinions about this great activity as well, even though you didn't march.

And I think it goes without saying that if you say you were in a corps when you weren't, you're a chump.

Had a chance one time to lie my face off but just couldn't do it for a few reasons. I was wearing my Keystone Kavaliers jacket at college and someone who had just discovered corps asked if I just got back from Chicago. :huh: Finally hit me the only "Cavaliers" they knew was that green DCI crew from the Midwest. :P

And for the record, my jacket was purple and Kavaliers was mis-spelled with a 'C'. But why in the Hades would Rosemont/Park Ridge/Chicago have a keystone on the jacket? :ph34r:

You know, I'm always kidding around... life is too short to be all serious all the time. BUT, I gotta say that the issue here is NOT

whether you did or did not march in corps... the issue here is when you meet someone who CLAIMS they did. That's a dis to the

people who did march in whichever corps is being falsified about...and it makes the person doing the BS'ing totally discredited.

As far as whether or not a person actually did march or not, well, that's different. I have learned many things from people who never

did march. They came along to it after age out, or didn't march due to financial reasons or whatever. But there are plenty of people

who never marched in a corps who know a heck of a lot more about it than I do ...

my college band had started band camp last fall and one of the new guys said, "yeah, i marched Cavaliers last year, I was one of the guys on the ladders".....my friend Mike actually DID march there last year (and on the ladder) and managed to quiet him for a bit.....then he retracted and said something of the sort he marched Bluecoats....of course we had someone in the band who marched at Bluecoats too.....needless to say, he tends to keep his mouth shut now........ lets just say if you come to Eastern Kentucky Univ., don't say you marched at Cavies, Cadets, Crossmen, Bluecoats, Scouts, SCV, Cap Reg, Star, Blast, Magic, Glassmen, or Southwind because you'd be a liar; we have people all over our campus who marched in those corps in the past few years (except Star/Blast..of course)

Hmmm, I know that guy, too. :)

I wonder what ever happened to him...last I heard he moved back to California.