Fracks worse than (or just as bad as) Blue Devils 1989

As many people have mentioned, that soloist gets too much crap, there have been many other fracked notes of that proportion...well, close at least. Chris Lewis in Garfield '85 during Make Our Garden Grow...best tone I've ever heard on a mellophone, ever, though (and plus she is/was hot), and supposedly she botched the opening solo the year later (though I haven't heard the finals recording...what really happened?) And I'm sure there's more...which ones can you think of?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say we pay too much attention to him yet you start a thread about fracks and stuff.

Have you had a solo in front of 30k people? Do you KNOW how much pressure that is every day? Eating away at you every day during practice if you frack a single note? Trying to be perfect every single time?

DO YOU?

If you have soloed in front of a DCI Finals crowd you are my hero and I applaud you. Even if you suck it up.

EDIT - Ok that came off a bit more harsh than I originally wanted, but still you get the idea.

Edited by Bari-Player

Well, then, sack up, y'all. Because if you frack, you frack.

North Star, 1982. Final fanfare, some soprano comes in a full count early. Oops. The next year they cease operations.

That's some harsh punishment.

Edited by tommytimp

The big dude from Cadets the past couple of years (01-04 or something) seemed to have problems at finals. Not necessarily fracking, just not as strong as it was earlier in the year.

Boston's trumpet and bari soloists in 04 seemed to have problems all year long; especially the opening trumpet solo.

Apparently one of the guys in the trio in Madison 03 fracked his last note pretty badly at either semis or quarters and took it down an octavebat finals.

Meh, fracks happen. No one's perfect. I feel bad for the soloist, but you've just got to move on with the performance and pretend it didn't happen. No big deal.

Edited by TSRTS13

As many people have mentioned, that soloist gets too much crap, there have been many other fracked notes of that proportion...well, close at least. Chris Lewis in Garfield '85 during Make Our Garden Grow...best tone I've ever heard on a mellophone, ever, though (and plus she is/was hot), and supposedly she botched the opening solo the year later (though I haven't heard the finals recording...what really happened?) And I'm sure there's more...which ones can you think of?

I just watched it on youtube, just to remind me... dang....

I think part of the reason that fracked solo is so legendary compared to just about any other finals night tick is because the whole corps was hanging in the balance. It was a fermata, the whole corps was waiting for him to get to a certain point, and then the DM gave a downbeat for the next phrase. It's not like he had the percussion playing some sort of groove with him.

I've never heard a recording of any other performance of this show, although I know they exist, and I'd like to hear it to know what it's "supposed" to sound like.

This may actually be the first time I've seen the video of this. I've heard the audio of it plenty of times before, though. You notice how the camera man is really not very far from him at all? Kneeling down just a few feet away from him? Maybe that freaked him out. He performed for 30,000 people just the night before (and 2 nights before also, I think this was after quarterfinals were invented).

I've never heard a recording of any other performance of this show, although I know they exist, and I'd like to hear it to know what it's "supposed" to sound like.

It's really great writing...he's supposed to hold the high A or whatever it was for four counts or so and then continue on...on the finals recording he tries to get the A out two more times after the first attempt, the short "fwee" and then the much longer "wayyayyah," the note you hear after that though is what's supposed to come directly after the fermata. Great player though...hopefully it didn't freak him out too much (although he looks ###### during the closeup at the end of the show).

Talking about this show reminds me...let's go, BD, get back to the no-titled, no-themed, melodic, arranged-as-true-to-the-original shows and play three or four classic jazz charts. Please?

Talking about this show reminds me...let's go, BD, get back to the no-titled, no-themed, melodic, arranged-as-true-to-the-original shows and play three or four classic jazz charts. Please?

THANK YOU for saying that I couldn't agree more 88,89,91,93...such GOOD MUSIC..Musically speaking '93 was the Last good show they had. And that 91 Hornbook..SMOKING!!! Just nothing like it sense unfortunately

I think part of the reason that fracked solo is so legendary compared to just about any other finals night tick is because the whole corps was hanging in the balance. It was a fermata, the whole corps was waiting for him to get to a certain point, and then the DM gave a downbeat for the next phrase. It's not like he had the percussion playing some sort of groove with him.

This may actually be the first time I've seen the video of this. I've heard the audio of it plenty of times before, though. You notice how the camera man is really not very far from him at all? Kneeling down just a few feet away from him? Maybe that freaked him out. He performed for 30,000 people just the night before (and 2 nights before also, I think this was after quarterfinals were invented).

Worst part about it is that the Devs were smoking hot until that solo, then the air just got let out of the bag.....what a great show to be ruined.

DW