Drums on the Ohio 6/27

Careful Jim -- you're sounding like I agree with you on Blue Devil's show being confusing and distracting :) It is my experience the more I find out about a corps' show (from the corp members); the more I understand it or understand what they are attempting to do. There may be two corps in the top six this year that the audience may not agree with; does that make them bad shows?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Technically the performance might be good, certainly the members are very talented.

But how well did the designers really do if they have failed to reach and cummunicate effectively with the audience?

Lots of artist and musicians have created a lot of very creative and intelectual art, much of which is not remembered, performed, or CD's bought. It's still art, but yet they have failed to relate to people.

Just because you can write or do something, doesn't always mean you should.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an easy one Jim :) I was at the Toledo show last year and even without a closer the Cadets were only tenths behind Cavaliers -- they both scored 74s. They were never down to Cavaliers by 5 points at any time during the year. I can even tell you the day (a Sunday) the Cadets finally past the Cavaliers (it was the Indianapolis show and they both scored 94s). The rest....well, we know what happened. Oh, btw; have I told you I'm a Cadet fan?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I have nothing against the Cadets ... I am really a fan of drum corps in general. But early last year, the Cadets were down by about 4-5 points. As they worked with the show, added the closer (sure, leave the early fans out to dry) they they caught the Cavies -- and you are right, it was either Murfeesboro or Indy when they crossed over.

Fan or not of a certain corps -- do you not think they have a responsibility to the fans in general (unless they don't like the gate money)? If the Cadets win with this show mostly unchanged I think it could, I emphasize could, have a negative impact on the much larger fan base. The Cadets will become the masters of the weird. This will make what Star did look like peanuts. I know it is a competition -- but it is also an art form. Money comes when the corps balance both.

Irving, as a Cadets fan, does it bother you at all that they corps had background props, a bunch of risers, the door (again) and characters that take away from the corps' presentation? You didn't like BD's show last year which had lots of props, shouting narration (Yowser!), etc. Are you a fan of the Cadets to the point that no matter what they do, you will like it?

I have a lot of respect for the Cadets. Drums on the Ohio is often an early first season show. Why? Because the fans will come and love it and are very good fans. The Cadets, bless their hearts, come to the show as the headliner (in 2006, for every Div I show they tried to get a top 6 corps at each show). The Cavies and PR are much closer to Evansville -- but the Cadets always make the trip (I put a few dollars in their fuel fund -- the best I could do). I have a lot of respect for the organization for their support of Drums on the Ohio and just in general. You could also mention how they came to the rescue of the Crossmen (but that is another topic). The organization is worthy of lots of respect. In fact, I have been thinking I should send an email to Mr. Hopkins thanking him for his support of DOTO.

While I have this HUGE respect for the Cadets. This year's show left me cold. But since the only corps you could say I am a fan of, The Troopers, will not score above ZERO this year -- I have no allegiances. I am a HUGE fan of activity.

Note to the Bluecoats and their fans: After listening to the APD, I found the balance to be much better with the bass drum. My criticism of the loud bass drum may have just been at this one show. While it seemed overbearing and didn't allow for the great contrast from the ballad to the drum break -- the APD seems to be an improvement over what I experienced at this show. My criticism for this show was valid, but it seems to be related to this one show.

Jim

My take, at least what I saw in rehearsal, was that the effect they are trying to pull off with the microphone on the bass is not just a heartbeat, but the sound of a heartbeat through an EKG machine (all mechanical and whatnot, as it kinda fits in the drill at places)--although the difference is subtle, I think I understand it. Of course, you werent there when they were adding a breathing sound to it as well, so, thats where I gathered my impression of it. I am personally glad that the breathing thing didnt stick...I was waiting for somebody to say, "No Luke, I am your father."

Talk about your connections there...

Elmo Blatch

My take, at least what I saw in rehearsal, was that the effect they are trying to pull off with the microphone on the bass is not just a heartbeat, but the sound of a heartbeat through an EKG machine (all mechanical and whatnot, as it kinda fits in the drill at places)--although the difference is subtle, I think I understand it. Of course, you werent there when they were adding a breathing sound to it as well, so, thats where I gathered my impression of it. I am personally glad that the breathing thing didnt stick...I was waiting for somebody to say, "No Luke, I am your father."

Talk about your connections there...

Elmo Blatch

I think what they are trying to achieve is cool. At the DOTO though, it was so loud is was distracting. This is part of the problem with amplification -- even with soundboards. I think a heartbeat, not necessarily "through a mechanical monitor" would have had a dramatic affect, and then the drum break coming out of the Ballad would have been a wonderful contrast.

I still would not amp the bass drums. They carry without an amp, and they will not sound like a machine simply because they went through amps. Just play the bass drums and it would be dramatic and wonderful.

At DOTO, they were way too loud, and hence the affect was lost and it sounded like a thumping sub-woofer driving by.

But I am glad "Luke, I am your Father Luke, search your soul -- you know it to be true" was taken out :)

Jim