Jester - Settling Rumors with fact

First let me say that I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I restate anything that has already been said.

Allow me to thank all of you who posted kind reviews and words of encouragement about the corps. I sent those kind words to our members.

Many of you noticed that we were announced as exhibition in our Mesa, AZ show, some of you stated this was because we didn't have the numbers to field. DCI in turn scored and medaled us despite our obvious deficiency. The obvious problem with this conjecture is their were 30 members on the field, but the announcement was mistake.

I believe this was rumor was given some weight because the next show we weren't actually scored. Everyone has noticed that we are very close to the 30 mark, in fact in this last tour we were at exactly 30. Two of the members had to attend a weding which should have allowed them enough time to make the performance. It didn't, however, so we had 28 and received tapes and no score.

I hope this helps clear some of the confusion.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this 30-member rule is being taken a bit too far?

I recall when it was passed, corps directors explained that the spirit of the rule was not to exclude viable corps. Exemptions were to be expected for corps that typically field over 30 members, but were having one atypical season. (That philosophy was forgotten within a year.)

Now, we're excluding viable corps by counting heads at every appearance. A corps passes all the evaluation criteria, works hard to prepare a show in time for those June appearances, and makes the costly trip to out-of-state contests, all to be relegated to exhibition status? They were judged anyway. What purpose does it serve to exclude them from the contest at that point?

Let me start by saying I've seen Shenadoah Sound put on an enjoyable field show with about 12-15 members (counting CG and DM).

Having said that, any rule excluding corps based on number of warm bodies on the field is idiotic beyond belief.

First of all! If a corps only has only 15 members or even 30 they should not be allowed to compete at the DCI level! This has nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with Managment most of the time these corps including Jester have made no real effort to recruit! You don't see any visible sign of Jester or alot of these others corps at BOA shows or even local marching band circuit shows! So you all have to stop making excuses for these corps. No reason why Jester along with many other Division 3 corps can not go out with more then 30 members.

Let me start by saying I've seen Shenadoah Sound put on an enjoyable field show with about 12-15 members (counting CG and DM).

Having said that, any rule excluding corps based on number of warm bodies on the field is idiotic beyond belief.

First of all! If a corps only has only 15 members or even 30 they should not be allowed to compete at the DCI level! This has nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with Managment most of the time these corps including Jester have made no real effort to recruit! You don't see any visible sign of Jester or alot of these others corps at BOA shows or even local marching band circuit shows! So you all have to stop making excuses for these corps. No reason why Jester along with many other Division 3 corps can not go out with more then 30 members.

That is one of the dumbest and coldest things I've ever seen posted on DCP.

On a lighter note...

...GO JESTER!!!!

Wow - nice...... <**>

I would hope reason would prevail. Telling 28 kids they can't do DCI on the basis of strict adherence to the rules would be cruel and stupid.

Now, we're excluding viable corps by counting heads at every appearance. A corps passes all the evaluation criteria, works hard to prepare a show in time for those June appearances, and makes the costly trip to out-of-state contests, all to be relegated to exhibition status? They were judged anyway. What purpose does it serve to exclude them from the contest at that point?

Well, to me anyway, "excluding" would mean "not allowing to perform". And that's not the case. They went on in exhibition. What's wrong with that? For where they are at, isn't the most important the judging and comments anyway? What good does a publicly posted score do them anyway?

Here's a question though - are they still allowed to go to critique if they're exhibition? If so, then I'd say it's all still worth it, score or not.

Translation - If you don't have the $$$$ to recruit like bigger corps, just fold up your tent and stay home.

And we wonder why Div II/III has corps going inactive almost every year.

As for "at the DCI level", there is no other place for Junior corps to go.

First of all! If a corps only has only 15 members or even 30 they should not be allowed to compete at the DCI level!

Surely, you jest. First of all, what the heck is "the DCI level?" Cavaliers? Where do you draw the line? Seems like the 30 member limit is a farce anyway because nothing says those 30 people have to do anything. You could have one trumpet soloist and 29 other people standing there doing nothing and still meet the DCI requirement. This year's edition of Jester puts out more sound than some other corps twice their size and is a good example of why that rule is bogus. Those kids are good performers and, at least in my opinion, have earned the right to be there.

In addition... Most of those kids could handle a spot in a div 1 corps, yet for whatever reason they choose to belong to a small local organization. I think that's great. We need 100 more corps like that. (but please, change the name! seriously.)

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

DCI Level doesn't mean Division one! It is not mean just reality of our activity. Money has very little to do with recruiting people. I recruited for many corps Division One down to Division 3 corps and it doesn't take money to get a table and chairs and a banner with the corps name and logo on it and bodies to sit there. Keep those excuses up people! As long as these excuses are being spread around and no solutions are offered and these corps managements don't get there act together and DCI getting it's act together too and comes down harder on these corps not just to be hard but to help these corps build in the proper way then Division 3 in particular will always be down and not very good.

The Division One corps also own responsibility in this also. The Division One corps should be doing more to assist these corps not necessarily money wise but recruting wise and with corps business management assistance. Each Division One corps should take on at least one Division 3 corps as a sister org. I'm not advocating the Big Corps giving the smaller corps money because that would be wrong but to assist with recruitment, overall management of the corps as a consultant and even could assist with fundraising and logisitics.

Surely, you jest. First of all, what the heck is "the DCI level?" Cavaliers? Where do you draw the line? Seems like the 30 member limit is a farce anyway because nothing says those 30 people have to do anything. You could have one trumpet soloist and 29 other people standing there doing nothing and still meet the DCI requirement. This year's edition of Jester puts out more sound than some other corps twice their size and is a good example of why that rule is bogus. Those kids are good performers and, at least in my opinion, have earned the right to be there.

In addition... Most of those kids could handle a spot in a div 1 corps, yet for whatever reason they choose to belong to a small local organization. I think that's great. We need 100 more corps like that. (but please, change the name! seriously.)