Phantom of the Opera question

That was one of my two favorite warmups of all time.

SCV 89 and Madison 95. Both haunting and powerful!

Thanks! Being compared to Madison '95 is quite an honor.

I really enjoyed our warm-up the most when we sang it...with words and all...during rehearsals! I mean, how many corps these days can sing their music to actual lyrics? That was just too cool B)

"Past the point of no return...the final threshold...the bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn...we've past the point of no return."

The Phantom sits in the chair and pulls the cloth over him. He slips out the back of the chair (trapped door). Meg slips through the bars of the grid that had flown in (and down which other chorus members are climbing as they "track down this murderer") sees no one there, and goes to the chair. She pulls the cloth off the chair and finds the mask. As the cloth is pulled off, the spotlight hits the mask. Meg picks the mask up and holds it high, as the last five chords are played. Curtain falls.

The Vegas production is cut due to the (supposedly) short attention span of the Vegas audience and the need to be able to do three shows a night (at $100+ a ticket). Other shortened shows have not made it - see the demise of Avenue Q and Hairspray. Althought the full-blown Mama Mia is a hit.

They hope the Vegas audience will love the special effects, a la FX a few years back and help to fill in the void left by Sigfried and Roy.

Do you really, really think Andy Lloyd Weber would have gotten any idea from a drum corps???

I wonder why he felt numbers needed to be "trimmed." "Past the Point of No Return" is one of my favorites from the show.

i like that one too

I wonder why he felt numbers needed to be "trimmed." "Past the Point of No Return" is one of my favorites from the show.

It's a neccessity for shows here in Vegas. It's beenshown that people who come to Vegas tend to go to shows that last around 75 minutes to 90 minutes. Anything longer than that, and the audience just isn't interested. Avenue Q originally had both full acts with intermission, and within the first month, got trimmed to a 90 minute show. Same with Hairspray. Blue Man Group is considered a "long" show for Vegas, clocking in at about an hour and 45 minutes.

It also allows for productions to have two shows in one day, maximizing revenue.

The Phantom show is not even called Phantom of the Opera here. It's called Phantom:The Las Vegas Spectatular. Apparently, it's awesome, though.

Edit: I didn't see Yeldar's similar response above.

I remember hearing this warm-up at Finals in '89, and it was hauntingly beautiful, bouncing off the backfield stands. Too bad the Legacy DVDs chopped it off.

Randy

Thank GOD the Hi Cam VHS that I have of our 89 Finals performance has the whole show - including the on-field warmup of "Past The Point of No Return". It did a fantastic job of setting the stage for the show.

Watching the Legacy DVDs, the show just seemed incomplete without it.

(I have never posted any audio or video to the web before but I'd be willing to try to figure out how if anybody wants to tutor me. Feel free to PM me if you have a suggestion for how I could post it to some free website somewhere. And also tell me what software (preferably FREE software?) I could use to convert it to the right media format. I'd be willing to look into it if it'd make my fellow DCP'ers happy... :blink: )

Thank GOD the Hi Cam VHS that I have of our 89 Finals performance has the whole show - including the on-field warmup of "Past The Point of No Return". It did a fantastic job of setting the stage for the show.

Watching the Legacy DVDs, the show just seemed incomplete without it.

(I have never posted any audio or video to the web before but I'd be willing to try to figure out how if anybody wants to tutor me. Feel free to PM me if you have a suggestion for how I could post it to some free website somewhere. And also tell me what software (preferably FREE software?) I could use to convert it to the right media format. I'd be willing to look into it if it'd make my fellow DCP'ers happy... :blink: )

I would _LOVE_ to hear that on-field warm-up! I've heard a bootleg recording of it, probably almost ten years ago now, and I'd love to hear it again. I used to have the old VHS tapes, but they got so worn down.

I know there are a couple of things you can do, depending on how tech savy you are. If you have a digital video camera, you can record the tape onto the digital camera (by plugging the camera into the TV video/audio in), and then put that on your computer through various programs (depending on what type of computer you have).

If you have a computer with audio in and audio out, you can find a program to record the audio from the tape (plug the TV audio into the computer 'in' and then record). I know that there are some programs out there that can be...ahem..."found" if you have the means/time, know where to look, and don't mind downloading something for free.

Good luck; I'm sure MANY people would love to hear the missing piece of the puzzle of one of the most loved drum corps shows of all time!!

--

doug

• 10 years later...
On 7/3/2006 at 1:00 PM, perc2100 said:

If you have a computer with audio in and audio out, you can find a program to record the audio from the tape (plug the TV audio into the computer 'in' and then record). I know that there are some programs out there that can be...ahem..."found" if you have the means/time, know where to look, and don't mind downloading something for free.

Good luck; I'm sure MANY people would love to hear the missing piece of the puzzle of one of the most loved drum corps shows of all time!!

Eleven years later...does anyone currently own the original VHS recording, or a recording of their encore that year when they played it for the audience? I hope that piece isn't lost to time. Surely there must be someone!