Phantom of the Opera question

I have a question for all drum corps fans, because I don't know the answer to this and it is bugging me!

I went to see the newly revamped production of Phantom of the Opera that opened in Las Vegas last weekend. Andrew Lloyd Webber has reworked the entire show, cutting almost one hour from the original running time and adding new special effects (spectacular!) and even trimming some of the songs, most notably "Past the Point of No Return".

Here is the question: the show now ends with the Phantom sitting in a chair, drawing a cloth across himself, and then disappearing, after which a chorus line member runs to the chair, draws aside the cloth, revealing only the Phantom's mask, which she then picks up and poses with. Now, I have seen Phantom (probably 15 years ago) and I don't remember it ending like that before, but I do remember that the Santa Clara Vanguard ended their production of Phantom in 1989 exactly this way.

So, the question is: did Andrew Lloyd Webber get that idea from SCV? Or was this ending something that SCV staff had seen in some previous production of Phantom?

Anybody who has information about this, please let me know!

Thanks,

Randy Gardner

I doubt that ALW used SCV as inspiration. But...since he is the ultimate ripoff artist of other composers throughout history, it wouldn't surprise me.

It was in the original production of Phantom.

• Like 1

I wonder why he felt numbers needed to be "trimmed." "Past the Point of No Return" is one of my favorites from the show.

Yeah, this disappearing Phantom was in the original broadway production.

And "Past the Point of No Return" was our field warm-up piece in 1989. It was on the original DCI video, but they cut it out on the Legacy DVD collection. :(

And "Past the Point of No Return" was our field warm-up piece in 1989. It was on the original DCI video, but they cut it out on the Legacy DVD collection. :(

Hi Mike,

I remember hearing this warm-up at Finals in '89, and it was hauntingly beautiful, bouncing off the backfield stands. Too bad the Legacy DVDs chopped it off.

Randy

That was one of my two favorite warmups of all time.

SCV 89 and Madison 95. Both haunting and powerful!