Stockton, CA scores

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! River City must be awesome to best Renegades so early in the season! :wall:

Will make a very competitive DCA season! Is River City coming East to the champiopnship?

DCA Championship is going to be a real hot ticket this season! B)

William Aldrich-Thorpe

Unfortunately, RCR is not traveling to the DCA Championships this year. :( It takes big buck$, and we're just not where we need to be to get back there.

However, we're looking forward to meeting up with So Cal Dream next weekend, with the first meeting of all three CA seniors.

Oh man what a show... It felt so good on the field today. I love playing in Stockton, CA. at University Of Pacific. It is a great venue and the crowd is huge for an early season show. We (RCR) were on second right after the Renegades. It was in full sun, and we were getting amped up watching them from the sidelines just waiting to get on the field. It came together pretty good tonight, but there is so much work to be done still. (temp. was around 96) The other junior corps in attendence were on fire too. It was an all around great drum corps experience tonight. Oh, didn't even mention the after show yet. I know this is Senior/all age discussion, but man the Vanguard and BD played in a mass horn ensemble tonight. It was awesome... 21 contra salute! Nice! This has been yet another year of trials and tribulations for RCR. We have come a long way, as I am sure you will hear from The Renegades. All in all we have three really good senior corps in CA. RCR is the smallest in numbers, but tonight we just came together and had one heck of a good time on the field. Thanks for all the kind words. It's going to be one heck of a good time in L.A. in well just over a week now, when all three corps come together for the first time. Can't wait to see Dream's complete show. Hang on to your hats out East. It's going to be a fun one! The California championships for us Seniors is at Elk Grove High School this year. At least that is what it has been dubbed by some of us; also goes by the name of The West Coast Showdown. It usually marks the last time that the three senior corps compete against each other before DCA Championships.

Edited by suitebari

Way to go RCR!!!! b**bs

Congrats you guys!!! I am so proud of you.

Well, here's my impressions of the seniors at Stockton. It was the first I has seen them since Hayward. Don't take any offense or anything - this is just what I was thinking as I watched from the stands (row 42, right at the 50)

Renegades - Nice to see the guard unis, a mostly red number with some oranges in it. I'm not a guard person, so I tend to watch the horn and drum block more, but I will say that it would be nice to see more integration with the guard and horns and drums drill wise. I didn't pay much attention to it admittedly, but it would seem that with such a contrast between the horns/drum in black and the guard in red that you could really have more effect there. I liked the double flag things, whatever you call them, in the ballad. Nice effect. For the show overall, it seemed like there were more horns than what as at Hayward? though the corps is still smaller than in previous years. But there just isn't enough "oomph" in the show. We've been used to Renegades blowing our faces off, and it's just not there. I don't find the music particularly effective, though I liked some of the solo work going on, especially the quartet at the top of Stairway and Chris' French solo at the end of it. Mellos seemed like they had a pretty interesting book overall. Drill wise it looks like there quite a bit of holes to still close up; I noticed this more towards the second half of the show, and it seemed to make the forms a lot less intelligilbe and thus less effective. Overall, I'd say the show just seems a bit sloppy visually right now, has no power to it sound wise, and needs more GE, both musically and visually. I'm concerned that, design wise, this just isn't a top 6 DCA show, but there's lots of time left.

RCR - I'll try not to sound too biased...Quite frankly, the show is more powerful and more entertaining musically than Renegades show, and that is making up for the fact that they are just a little more than half as big as Renegades. I did notice that RCR had a bigger (though barely) battery than Reneagades (4, 2, 5 versus 4, 2, 4). When has that ever happened before?? RCR has improved a lot musically and visually since Hayward, more of the musical book is clean. There's still a couple people having trouble staying in step and in phase, which when you're smaller tends to stand out more. The end of A Mis Abuelos is still musically a mess; the running lines are just all muddy. Emphasize the accents more, that should help. The runs in Tank seemed better, though there's still some disconnect between the sops and mellos in the part at letter H. Just not quite lining up together. The end of the closer, Malaga, was performed quite a bit better than Hayward, but still hasn't reached its fullest potential. I was kind of disappointed that the front half of Malaga was cut before the season started, though I'll admit coming out of the drum solo it does work better effectually this way. Unfortunately now the show is a bit short, under 9 minutes. Again, I don't tend to watch guard much, but I noticed the rifle line is vastly improved this year. The maneuvers the hornline makes during the drum solo are nice, btw. Overall more marching from the corps this year than in previous years. The drumline plays with more intensity than Renegades, IMO, and it seems they have a harder book and are throwing down a lot more.

Historically, last night at Stockton was the first time ever that Renegades have been beaten by anyone in California. Bring on the competition!

HEY RCR!!! That's grrrrrrrrrrreat. Good job you guys. I'm just so...yeah...I mean, thrilled...and...uh...yeah...no no no...ME NERVOUS...hahahaha...come on...we're allllllllllllll in this...yeah I know it's trite...but we are in this toget...well yeah yeah I know...I mean you guys must be great...I mean, it's awesome and...what?.....oh me...pale???...must have been something I ate...really...I'm fine...no no no...no need for medics right now...I'll be fine...It's just great you guys are sooooooooooo awesome this year....what was that?....I'm even more pale now??....well....jeezo pete...I'll be going now...yeah...uhhh...see you in a week or so...hahahaha..yeah...great job really....no no no...I didn't almost faint right then, I just stumbled...it's ok...I'm just going to go talk...talk to those guys over there...you know....the guys in yellow and purple....bye bye...see you at Showdown...byyyyyyyye!!

:wall::worthy::worthy:

"Hello, I'd like to make a collect call to the offices of So Cal Dream please...." :wall:

In all seriousness RCR...congrats. I can only imagine the elation you all had. Face it--a victory is a victory in this competitive activity. Very proud of you guys and how you keep on pluggin' along. CONGRATS!! And congrats to the Renegades, who in spite of a jaw dropping confluence of factors that not anyone on this planet could have forseen that would have destroyed a lesser corps, have BATTLED ON, and in typical "7" form, have pulled a rabbit out of hat so to speak--considering they figuratively didn't even have a hat in the first place. THAT is something special too!! To my northern Cal buddies and buddettes, you guys are only making our job that much...I mean, providing a GREAT opportunity for us at Dream to rise to the occasion too.

Thanks! Rock on West Coast!!

Has anyone ever known Ryan to be speechless? :wall:

Edited by ravedodger