4th Parades and Concerts - what did your corps do?

Caught the Scouts' concert after the Cedarburg, WI parade today. Very cool. Good staff announcer explained to the crowd that the Cedarburg parade and concert is the only thing they do on the 4th each year now. Crowd loved them. They ran though the show and did two encores including their new "patriotic medley" which includes a little "Simple Gifts", and they did "Ice Castles." which the crowd went ape over. Clearly a drum corps-savy crowd. Then the corps went to the Legion hall where the local Piggly Wiggly store owner hosted a huge spread of chow for the guys, staff and volunteers. They sang "Walk Alone" for the Piggly Wiggly owner. Very cool. Sorry. No pictures as the wife has the camera and is cooking this week.

What did your corps do today? HOW MANY parades or concerts? Good pay day?

Edited by dannyboy

they marched in parades, like 99.9999% of all other corps

Edited by dciguy01

Carolina Crown marched the 7 mile parade route in Bristol, Rhode Island. This has become an annual tradition. The parade is the oldest ongoing July 4th parade in the United States. It bgan in the late 1700s. It is always an enjoyable parade.

Carolina Crown marched the 7 mile parade route in Bristol, Rhode Island. This has become an annual tradition. The parade is the oldest ongoing July 4th parade in the United States. It bgan in the late 1700s. It is always an enjoyable parade.

Enjoyable for whom? :P

Though it may seem like 7 miles, the parade is actually less than 2.5 miles, which is still a very long parade.

G

Cavaliers did the usual Chicago area parades (3 this year), with Classic Cavaliers handling one more for a total of 4 Chicagoland appearances of Cavaliers, young and less-young :P .

In 2001, we had a free day on July 3rd at the Navy Pier and then the next day we did a few Chicago area parades. We stayed at a youth center in (I think) Skokie and there was a water park next it. After the parades, the corps got to go to the water park. ^OO^

In 2001, we had a free day on July 3rd at the Navy Pier and then the next day we did a few Chicago area parades. We stayed at a youth center in (I think) Skokie and there was a water park next it. After the parades, the corps got to go to the water park. ^OO^

We stayed in Skokie in 04 I believe as well and did the whole Navy Pier thing, that night at Navy Pier is actually one of my fondest bluecoats memories.

But in all honesty, parade day was probably one of my least favorite days of tour.

Though it may seem like 7 miles, the parade is actually less than 2.5 miles, which is still a very long parade.

G

The length of the Bristol parade is definitely one of those drum corps urban legends. I've heard everywhere from 5 to 10 miles, however I believe you are correct and it's only about 2.5...

In 2002 however 2.5 miles seemed like 309832409 miles in the 115 degree heat next to the ocean. I attribute my hate of parades to thath day.

I think part of the reason the length is reported as being longer is the fact that most corps do more than one parade that day. I personally remember hearing that we may have marched 7 miles total, not one 7 mile parade. But I can see where the line would be blurred.