Cadets Guard Clip from the Ballad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they simpy have to get the mix levels vocally and instrumentally.....

but MOST importantly, to pull off two minutes of chord progressions, every student has

to understand the nuances or ebb and flow of the entire piece. They are close as they really

climax at the end of the clip. BUT, slow music is harder than fast music. slow NOTES are easier than fast NOTES, but the opposite is true when making MUSIC. This type of ballad is hard to communicate to the audience because of it's pure simplicity. They will make this more effective with phrasing, not drill. And it takes EVERY performer having a complete understanding of what needs to be communicated emotionally and how that relates to AIR. They will get it, they're too

good not to. Once they completely "get it", I think you'll find that the audience will too.

Congrats to all corps on a wonderful season!

I just watched it again. And no George, I don't see any babies being thrown out on the field. At least not yet...

:worthy: b**bs

they simpy have to get the mix levels vocally and instrumentally.....

but MOST importantly, to pull off two minutes of chord progressions, every student has

to understand the nuances or ebb and flow of the entire piece. They are close as they really

climax at the end of the clip. BUT, slow music is harder than fast music. slow NOTES are easier than fast NOTES, but the opposite is true when making MUSIC. This type of ballad is hard to communicate to the audience because of it's pure simplicity. They will make this more effective with phrasing, not drill. And it takes EVERY performer having a complete understanding of what needs to be communicated emotionally and how that relates to AIR. They will get it, they're too

good not to. Once they completely "get it", I think you'll find that the audience will too.

Congrats to all corps on a wonderful season!

So true, that's why, imo, the moving parts are so important. Someone said it was nothing but a chord progression; I guess they didn't hear the mello and bari stuff which was really cool.

I like the guard stuff, but the fact that the guard is making that line has the brass all boxed in. The brass can't cover much of the field, which, imo, is making the drill a little boring. Of course ballad drill doesn't usually fly, but it needs something with the music being pretty simple.

I think the singing is distracting, but at least it isn't as out of tune as it was earlier in the season (this is all based off recordings though). It may just be the recording but it sounds like the hornline is holding back in the volume dept. Could this be due to balance issues with the singer? If so I really just wish they'd let the brass loose and blow some faces off because the music is really good. Also, I think the last note that the singer holds out after the brass stop playing (not in video) would sound better done by a mello.

I look foward to seeing it in Dallas, but I doubt I'll have anything other than mixed feelings afterwards.

Edited by lbjazz

Yeah. What an abomination of our wonderful activity. I'm willing to look past the perfect marching technique and excellant brass and guard performances because I disagree with musical choices. these kids are absolutely horrible at what they do and should be shot.

Sarcasm aside, I don't see what the big deal is. It sounds fine.

I seriously felt like I was watching a marching band <**> <**>

Yeah. What an abomination of our wonderful activity. I'm willing to look past the perfect marching technique and excellant brass and guard performances because I disagree with musical choices. these kids are absolutely horrible at what they do and should be shot.

Sarcasm aside, I don't see what the big deal is. It sounds fine.

I don't see anyone in this thread saying the kids aren't performing well.