Arnold, MD show July22nd

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. I can say that I was not even that impressed with our performance. OK, I did miss one corps because I was out back on the phone, but as far as what I did see, come on folks. I do not have a problem with small corps if they put out a decent product, and a lot of what I saw last night was not even close. If the rain causes fazing, bad horn angles, and extreme intonation problems, then I guess I am wrong. That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

<**> <**> <**>

This guy should just shut his trap. He just opened up pandora's box. Glad to see you don't know much. Shame as to how shallow and frankly, idiotic, some people are.

Edited by Percussion827

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. <snip>There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

I had the pleasure of talking with this gentleman during and after the USMC performance. Thank you SSgt. Warner for helping to defend our rights, our shrinking rights that do, at least, still allow us to state opinions...

...I'd rather talk about the wonderful chats I had with SSgt. Stanley, Sgt. Shawn Garber, and say thanks to the USMC members who kept following us to our remote horn arc warmup. Y'all seated in chairs watching us inspired us, even this ol' Navy guy. Seems we have a lot of Navy connections in this corps, including two who graduated or taught at the USNA.

I saw Sky from the side and enjoyed it. I see some terrific improvements from a good show in Dover.

Hurcs: Thanks for a great show and congratulations. I wish I could have seen everyone. The rain sucked x 3. How could we get hit 3 times in one day?

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. I can say that I was not even that impressed with our performance. OK, I did miss one corps because I was out back on the phone, but as far as what I did see, come on folks. I do not have a problem with small corps if they put out a decent product, and a lot of what I saw last night was not even close. If the rain causes fazing, bad horn angles, and extreme intonation problems, then I guess I am wrong. That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

Normally I would go off on you but I am on some groovy meds right now.

I am very proud of you for serving our country and for protecting the rights of americans to babble a bunch of crap on the internet.

I wonder how you would feel about it if we went over to the U.S.Marine Corps website and spelled your name US marine corp or said something like "I don't understand why we have a divison of the armed services that cant seem to get thier head out of a jar"

You sir are a embarresment.IF you are the person that I saw in the burgandy U.S. Marine Corps shirt walking around with a cell phone running your mouth while the corps were on the field,,,then you are not only ignorant of DCA,,,,you are also disrespectful.

Edited by camel lips

I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name.

Not a constructive or intelligent review.

Fortunately, there are people who appreciate the sacrifice and hard work it takes to perform in a senior corps, and, given the limited amount of practice time, the fact that many of us have just now finished putting the drill with the music.

I was proud to be there performing with MCL (our 3rd full run-through of the season), and enjoyed seeing and hearing our competitors from the NE as well as our DCAS partner CV.

Come to Rochester to see the finished product.

I would be extremely lucky if I had the opportunity and time to put in eight hours a day non-stop, with no other cares or concerns than to perfect a performance.

We "civilians" do not. We have families, jobs and only weekends (not every one) to do what we do. Most DCA corps, if not all of them display nowhere near the proficiency level to what your group has - and really if we somehow did, it would be a bad reflection on a group that is supposed to embody what the art form is on a national scale.

Its virtually impossible for groups who have no more than 20 or so days of ensemble practice over the past few months to live up to expectations and standards set for your ensemble. So chalk that up as a loss for most us, great. But at other shows with bigger crowds, most of these groups have lit them up. There is nothing quite like 1500 people all on their feet for your group. Yes, even we have experienced that.

Yes, in our own individual observations, to friends, family, whatever - sure, we do criticize our fellow corps. We do critique performances. We do expect more, as all fans should.

Last year, the Racine Kilties took to the field in DCA World prelims. We enjoyed performing at their show earlier that season and meeting some in their membership. They were warm, friendly fantastic hosts, and their show was one of the best we attended. By prelims, their show was not that difficult, there were some moments of errors in phasing (correct spelling) tone quality, balance and intonation. It wasn't perfect, but from what they were able to perform that night, it was enjoyable. It gave them and identity and personality that wasn't generic or bland. Still...it wasn't quite perfect.

All of those observations came to a screeching halt when the drum major unexpectedly cut off the corps.

As they cleared the field for reasons at the time not clear, a body lay near the center of the field, motionless. The player's mellophone laid there beside him. All concerns and cares about the progress of the show, and the competition evaporated for many minutes. After many attempts to recessitate him, Joel H. 'Lothar' Magnuson passed away at age 44 - dying to do what he loved.

The Kilties retook the field about 90 minutes later - and performed their perfect show. The criteria was different than that you would typically use. I don't care if they put three horns, a kazoo and firetruck on the field in the future - they will ALWAYS be champions in my book.

Brothers and sisters of this activity we love, and bust our old, tired butts for - have the integrity and ability to respect the efforts others give. We respect the very fact in their taking a field, they face criticism or accept praise, whichever it may be.

We do not need military training to have it, we have it because it is what we already are.

Corps loaned equipment to others, gave water when others had none, let other corps people on their busses to shelter from the rain. I could care less how Shenandoah Sound performed...they seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They offered us water when we were short and planned a show that your group had an opportunity to perform at. The weather and rain was not their fault, nor were the crowd issues afterward.

I respect your straightforward and blunt criticism solely focused on performance. Thank you officer, lack of proficiency duelly noted.

I do not respect your immature and childish demeanor toward your host corps, and your lack of appreciation for our activity.

You might want to attend DCA World Championships when these corps will peak and perform much better, in conditions that should certainly be more favorable, but still, not perfect.

What will not change is our common bond.

Edited by radiosteele

Considering the rain, the heat, humidity and all the BS that happened yesterday, every corps performed their hearts out and I think despite the low attendance and close to 1 hour rain delay, the show went on without a hitch. I am sorry if some of you feel the way you do about DCA and this show and small corps but let me tell you that small corps like the ones last night work as hard as Bush, Cabs, Reading and all the other big ones. Don't ever count out the small corps!

And THAT is why I'm glad I turned down the spot in the Commandant's Own and joined the Army Band when I did. His is not the first time I've heard such comments from members of the USMCD&BC, and I doubt it will be the last. You are a real credit to the Corps.

Edited by Kamarag

As mentioned, yes, that would be phasing, and not fazing. Other than that, I stand by what I said.

As far as the Cadets singers, thanks, but that's crap, too. Hoppy has gone mad. What we need to find is a happy medium where the envelope can be pushed within reason without repeating the same ideas over and over and over. Get rid of the #### amps and pray for no woodwinds.

I have, in fact, seen some senior corps shows that I have enjoyed. Jesus Christ Superstar was fun to listen to Saturday night, no matter how many times it's been put on the field already. Last year, I enjoyed listening to Blue Devils '90 rehashed, and let's not forget about The Planets yet again a few years ago.

Oh, and if you think that we spend 8 hours a day working on our drill show like junior corps do, you would be wrong. We probably work on it less than you do. Amongst 400-500 performances and 40,000-50,000 miles of travelling a year, the drill show is the smallest portion of what we do musically, not to mention the other military training that we go through.

Have at it. I am not only defending my rights to babble, but your's to read it and disagree.

Edited by usmcontra

They have a way of dealing with this sort of thing IN HOUSE! :blink:

That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

BTW that first group was YOUR HOST for the show.The same HOST that made it posible for "The Commadnant's OWN" to perform at the show.They were also the same HOST that made sure "The Commandnant's OWN" had the gatorade your group requested when they came off the field.

Show a little respect or didnt they teach you that in the Marines?

Edited by camel lips

I was there, and I'd say it was difficult to do a review. The third corps on had to stop because of lightning and the show was delayed about an hour and a half. They came back on and performed the entire show from the top. Most of the already small crowd left. I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name. The Marines performed in the pouring rain for the few people left to watch. The PA system went down during the Marines' half-way break. The announcer read the scores off to those who were standing around him at the bottom of the stands, the drum majors marched out for scores but were stopped and told to go home. The Hurricanes won. That's all I know.

After what we went through saturday, My group's tougher than yours :)