Incredibly Long Atlanta Review...

Alright...much like the last time I wrote a lengthy review, I'm going to preface it with a warning for the faint of heart:

All those about to read this review of mine should assume from the outset that there is going to be some criticism of your favourite corps, along with the praise. I say that, not because I criticize every corps, but because I want people to be prepared for the possibility of reading something unflattering about the corps to whom they are emotionally attached. Please know that these are only my opinions, but that I am standing by them. If you are likely to get offended by me saying something negative about your favourite corps, then do yourself a favour and avoid reading the review. Otherwise, do ME a favour and respect my opinions, however much you may disagree with them...and I will respect yours. You are welcome to disagree with my opinions, but...don't try to make me see "the error of my ways." You are not going to change my mind.

First things first...my background, and why I believe I can back up most of my opinions:

I marched for four years with the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps. From 1991 to 1993 I was lead baritone with the corps (even though I played Euphonium) and placed in the top 3 at 5 different Individual & Ensemble Competitions (DCM and DCI), winning 2 of them. In 1994 I was one of two field conductors (a phancy name for Drum Major) for Regiment. I studied John Brazale's drill writing, speaking with him about it whenever I could get a chance, and did the same with Tony Hall, though not to the same degree as with John.

I have a Master's degree in Music Education, and am finishing my Ph.D. Degree at Florida State University this year. That's right...after this year, I will be "Dr. Nikk" (HELLO EBERYBOTY! <--- Simpsons reference). My dissertation is all that is left for me, and I am beginning that in the next few weeks. It will likely be a study of Joseph Scwhantner's works for winds, including (possibly) a work that I will transcribe myself into the wind band idiom. Wish me luck.

My program at J.P. Taravella High School in Florida was considered one of the best overall programs in Florida, and our Wind Orchestra was a Midwest Clinic-caliber group, having been invited to the BOA National Concert Band Festival during my final year and then receiving a verbal invitation to the event by John Whitwell and Richard Floyd. While I shared the band duties with another director, I was solely in charge of the Orchestra. My Orchestra grew from one ensemble of 32 strings my first year to 3 ensembles of over 150 my final year, including a Symphony Orchestra -which I began from scratch- that got to such a level that during my final year we were able to perform Tchaik's "Romeo and Juliet," Copland's "Quiet City," and Berlioz's "Hungarian March from Damnation of Faust" and get superior ratings. All in all, I feel that I was a pretty darn good band & orchestra director, and my ensembles played very musically.

I am also a drill writer, writing for several schools over the years, including Greendale High School from Wisconsin, which won its class at the State Marching Band Championships. I feel that when reviewing these drum corps, I am able to talk intelligenly about them from a musical perspective, and from a visual perspective. I do not have an extensive color guard background, though I can handle the equipment (heh heh...sounds dirty), and although I am well versed in the percussive rudiments, I do not consider myself an authority on percussion, although I can certainly tell when a line is clean or dirty, challenged or not challenged.

I tell you all this not to brag, since most of you:

a. Already know this, and

b. Don't give a rat's tuckus.

I tell you this so that you can know exactly where I am coming from when I say the things I say...

I will review the corps based on their first viewing, so the four corps that made it to the evening show are still only being reviewed once. I will also be outraging you with ludicrous and inane commentary throughout. This is going to be a very, very long read. You were warned!

Nikk's Atlanta Adventure

First things first...I don't really like Atlanta. The traffic is horrendous, as it can be expected to be in any large city, but...the city is not laid out in a grid, and it is quite easy to get lost, as my girlfriend (Sarah Jane) and I discovered quickly. However, we did eventually manage to find our hotel, dislodge our bags, and head to the Aquarium. If you live anywhere near Atlanta, or if DCI has an even here again next year...do yourself a favour and get to the Aquarium. It is AWESOME. Lots of fun. Though, like much of Atlanta, it's difficult to find your way around because the signs around places in the area don't seem to bear any relation to where they actually are. I digress.

On Friday night we met up with fellow DCP'er and band director Evan Rogovin, he of Santaluces HS acclaim, and we had a few drinks, along with his new assistant who is a friend of mine, and the guy who now has my former position at Taravella, both FSU grads. It was good to see everyone again.

On Saturday morning, we awoke, had breakfast, and headed out to the Dome. Again, we got slightly lost because signs pointing toward the dome were actually not very clear from where we were coming....but eventually, we did manage to find it, and settled into pretty darned good seats (pretty much on the fifty yard line), high up in the upper deck where I like it.

Unfortunately, I ended up sitting next to a female band director from the state of Florida who has a certain reputation as a...well, I can't use that word due to the filters here and not wanting to get banned again, but trust me...she is not a pleasant person. Thank goodness she did not recognise me, because I was able to hear her talk crap about everyone: Corps, students, fellow band directors, parents, administration. This woman is filled with hate, and it made me wonder what kinds of lessons she teaches her students. However, this question was answered for me when a bunch of her students showed up to visit her...and they ALL promptly began to talk badly about other schools who compete against them. My goodness. It was truly disgusting, and she was actively encouraging the bad behaviour. There's a reason she is considered a bit of a joke by the more "serious" minded directors in the state who have dealt with her. At one point I heard her calling Crown "Carolina Crap." This is the mindset of the woman I am talking about. I came close to saying something to her, but...SJ was with me, and I know how I get when I get going. The last thing I wanted was a full out row with this idiot, and the possibility of getting kicked out. While she has no drum corps background and could probably care less, I really wanted to see the evening show, so I said nothing.

There really is no arguing with this kind of stupidity anyhow. By the way, this is the same woman director that I got into it back in late 1999 on RAMD. She is still the same twit.

The first corps on was Esperanza. Their hornline was small (I think I counted 55?), yet they seemed to have a full drumline, which I feel was overbalancing the brass at times. The hornline didn't really cut through, and was kind of muddy at times....hard to tell if it was them or if it was the Dome. The acoustics were not all that great where I was at, and I have to say...if DCI has Finals in a Dome, it would be a huge mistake. I certainly hope there is some sort of contingency plan on how to assign the championship if the Finals were ever rained out...but Finals in a Dome? No thanks. Unless it is a retractable roof dome, and the acoustics of it are tested beforehand. Anyhow, Esperanza's sound got lost in the Dome, all I could hear was percussion, but to be honest, what I did hear from the brass was not terribly exciting. The music wasn't all that memorable, though the drill was good, I think it was JUST the right level for their stage of development right now.

Next up were the Seattle Cascades. I had heard a lot of things about how their guard was not integrated well, and I can see what was meant by this. For the most part, the flags spent their show in an arc or an L-shaped form along the back of the corps. The rifles and sabres were integrated better, but...the flags really should have been involved more. It makes me feel like all those times I have written drill where I get absolutely no input from a guard person beforehand. I feel that perhaps the drill writer didn't have much interaction with the guard designer...or perhaps the guard designer wanted the flags out of the way? I dunnno...but that needs to be fixed. The hornline was nearly full from what I could tell, and the balance of drums-to-horns was much better than the previous corps. It's been a number of years since Seattle made it into Finals, and I feel like they need to really focus on solidifying an identity for themselves and crafting a show that their members can get into...even from way up in section 321, I felt like there were times they were merely going through the motions. The hornline, in particular, needs some help...there were a lot of intonation and balance issues high-to-low, and I feel like midway through the show, some steam was lost. They could be doing a lot better, but....hey, they could be doing a lot worse too. Drill was ok, but more guard integration is needed.

Magic of Orlando was up next. That's right, I called them Magic of Orlando. I refuse to call them The Magic. It's stupid. Magic of Orlando was just fine...this is getting ridiculous, these "official names" like THE Cadets, THE Cavaliers. Why in God's name is "The" so important? My biggest annoyance is when the announcer says something like "The Cavaliers/Cadets/Magic...is your corps ready? The Cavaliers/Cadets/Magic, you may take the field..." It's annoying, and grammatically awkward.

Anyhow, the show...this corps is a long way from the corps that won Division II with a record score and made Finals. Even though I live fairly close, I haven't really heard a lot about what has been happening with this corps lately, but I have heard that they've had several staff issues...that would explain a lot. The show didn't really connect with me, though they played and marched fairly well. It seems to be an issue of General Effect: I don't feel like they have much of it.

Up next was Southwind...I didn't recognize them at first because I was expecting some yellow in their uniforms. Those shakos/helmets/whatever-they-are are sort of goofy looking. They almost look like a half-a55ed dunce cap. Weird. Interesting concept with duality...however, the music just didn't do it for me. I did not care at all for the arrangements, and I hate adding the downbeat to the beginning of Katschei's Dance. Some of you know what I mean. While I "get" what they were trying to do, with the whole duality theme and all, I didn't really like the music. The drill, however, is another story. I feel like the drill writer did a very good job of integrating the two halves of the corps (white and black), and had some very interesting transitions as well as picture moments. Overall, a decent program that could have benefitted from a better musical presentation, I feel.

Following Southwind came Mandarins. There really isn't much I can say about Mandarins...they didn't really grab me at all, though they performed well enough. Rhythm nation wasn't all that rocking, to be honest. I liked the colour of the corps jacket. SJ thought they were a tad on the boring side...I had to agree. Music seems to be their weak point right now, as the hornline just wasn't "on" today. I would be willing to be that they ranked near the bottom of the music captions. Don't really know if it's the book, or the hornline though...just can't put my finger on it.

Next up was Capital Regiment. Cap strikes me as the next new finalist corps, I enjoyed their show, but it didn't really strike me other than that. I am sorry for those that wanted a more comprehensive review of them, but...I don't really remember much about it. :(

Along came the Blue Stars. It's nice to see this corps re-emerge in Division I. I'd say this would be the new finalist corps eventually, except that Blue Stars have already been in Finals. :P I didn't care for the narration, though I did like the show, the drill and the music worked well together. It seems to have a low demand factor, however, and that might be what is keeping them from climbing any higher.

Intermission, time for overpriced cokes and snacks.

The first corps back from intermission was the Crossmen. (How come it's not THE Crossmen? ;-) The show concept is "Changing Lanes" and this was easily understood by the crowd, thanks to various images presented to us by the corps' visual deparment. The radio section, I am sorry to say, is a tad silly. SJ finally piped up with a comment, her comment was: "This is weird." And you know...it was. It was a tad weird, though I completely understood what they were trying to do and why they would put it into the show. The radio announcers were not easily understood in the dome, however...I am sure they will sound just fine in Madison. The Crossmen play and march well...they just don't play and march as well as the other corps in front of them right now.

Up next were the Colts. It's been several years since this corps made Finals, and I have always liked them. I am not sure this year's program is the vehicle to get them back, but it is indeed an entertaining show, and I feel like the Colts are on the right track. Although they performed one of my least favourite wind ensemble pieces (Ride), I think that if they continue on this track, Colts could be back in Finals soon.

There seemed to be a big leap up from Colts to the next corps, Spirit of Atlanta. Spirit was the first corps to really reach the upper deck with their sound...what a hornline. A tad dirty and some intonation problems were evident, but this is a great hornline. The drill was interesting for me to watch...knowing as I do how good Mike Gaines is when dealing with a corps that can handle almost anything he throws at them, I wondered how he "scales back" when writing for others, like Spirit and the numerous high school groups he writes for. I did recognize some signature Gaines transitions/pictures in Spririt's show, but for the most part the writing was very different than what he does with Cavaliers, and very appropriate for the level Spirit is at right now.

I was a little disappointed by Glassmen's show. I just feel like they could have done so much more with the music of Beethoven. First off, the opening fanfare is simply not effective to me, delivered as it is from that set of three arcs. I feel like the opening of the fifth symphony is fine with those arcs, but the moment that it goes into the fortissimo fanfare, I feel like there HAS to be some movement, some quickly developing drill forms. Perhaps there is a change in the works coming up soon, but...it tends to set the wrong mood for the show to have this exciting fanfare, but having the corps standing still. From there, the music goes steadily downhill for me. Maybe I'm just not as big a Beethoven fan as I thought I was, but the music they've arranged did very little for me, except for the "ballad." This show reminds me a tad of their Beethoven/Bach show from years ago, and their re-imagining of the Dvorak "New World Symphony." I personally don't care for things that are "re-imagined" in such a way that it is hard to recognize the originals. The brass seemed a little subdued, I had trouble hearing soloists and entire sections from time to time. Drumline seemed solid, as did the color guard, though I didn't really like their unis. The drill was ok, nothing incredibly fancy, and nothing as solid as when Jamey Thompson was writing for them.

I was also let down by the Blue Knights show a tad. I LOVE Barber's Piano Concerto, and was really looking forward to this show, but the music came across a bit muddy and unbalanced. The drill is pretty darn good, I enjoyed the ideas being presented by Rob Billings (I assume he is still writing the drill). I also like what they say about the show in the program: This is music for music's sake, no "program" to be found. I respect that. Wish more corps would do the same.

Last corps of the afternoon show was the Boston Crusaders. I was looking forward to this show, as I have several former students of mine marching with the corps. I am also a fan of Higdon's music. However...while they march extremely well, the show was not all that exciting to me. There were quite a bunch of intonation problems, and a few phasing issues. One of my former students has a solo (in fact, it was none other than Einstein on the Beach, a DCP poster.) The arrangements had very little in the way of melody, and everything sounded so muddy...I'd like to think it was the dome, but some other corps sounded ok, so I just don't know. I really liked the visual design, however...well executed.

Madison Scouts have a very, very, very tough visual book. I would have recognized a Rosander drill no matter who the corps was. He tends to love follow-the-leader formations and all sorts of triangles. I have heard that Myron only sketches the forms, and has someone else actually plot out all the coordinates...is this true? If so...what a difficult way of writing drill, and no wonder things are so hard for Rosander drills. As for the music itself...didn't care for it. It's not that it's performed well, but rather that I don't care for the arrangements, the style of them. Some intonation problems too...a lot of corps had these. I found myself actually missing the old uniforms, which in fact I didn't care for at all...but I guess it's too late to go back to the style of Madison uni I am used to (the green jacket, white pants look). This uni just doesn't look very "primal" to me.

Pet Peeve Alert: I wish DCI would rope off a section for staff members from the corps who want to see the performances. IT IS NOT SAFE FOR THEM TO SIT IN THE AISLES! Not only is it not safe, it is annoying because they don't seem to care about talking loudly while we are trying to enjoy shows. And for crying out loud, April Gilligan....DON'T ANSWER YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE MIDDLE OF A RIVAL CORPS PERFORMANCE!!!! I mean, REALLY! Come on! Of all people who should know better!

Santa Clara Vanguard was pretty dang cool...I enjoyed the drill package, as well as the show in general. I thought the hornline was missing something, I can't put my finger on it, but all the extra visual easter eggs were kinda cool. However, this is still not your grandfather's Santa Clara...and is still missing some "mystique" or something...it's just not the same...but perhaps they are on the right track with this kind of show. Only the future will tell.

Carolina Crown hasn't had much luck regarding rain...if I recall correctly, in 2003 they had to wait a few hours during a rain delay for Quarterfinals. Last night, they were taken off the field while the thunder raged outside. Meanwhile, the sky began to fall as Crown left the field. Actually, a water pipe burst under the pressure of so much rain, and a huge gash opened up and spilled water on Section 324. It was quite interesting...no one knew what was going on, we thought the Dome might be compromised and the show cancelled...thank goodness it was only limited to one section.

Crown has come such a long way...it's just too bad that this particular year was so strong, because they could have easily been top 5 some other year. One thing however: The leg visual got to be annoying after the 4th or 5th time it was used...if you've seen the show, then you know what I am talking about. Musically speaking, it was pretty good, great energy, but as Evan pointed out in another thread, they start to lose something when moving at a fast pace, and near the end of the show. Still, this was a enjoyable show...I liked it more than the Cadets' show, and this staff is doing something right...keep it up Crown.

The Cadets

The former owner of DCP, George Dixon, has convinced himself that I have a bias against the Cadets because -according to a post of his from a couple of years ago- they beat me while I marched. This is, of course, not true, and overlooks the fact that LOTS of corps beat Regiment while I was marching with them, and yet I have been a fan of those corps: Cavaliers, Santa Clara Vanguard, Madison Scouts, Crossmen, Star of Indiana, Blue Devils, and yes...even the Cadets. Unlike previous years, I did not get involved in any discussions about the Cadets this year that I can remember, except for a post made by George in which he criticised Rich Kemp's adjudication of the Cadets' color guard, subtly inferring that the numbers were bogus and that Kemp was a biased and/or incompetent judge because he didn't award them first place over Regiment in guard at the show. Of course, there was ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of the fact that Rich Kemp, at the previous show, had put the Cadets in first place in guard over the Regiment by .2 tenths. When I pointed this out, George did what a lot of people who have been caught being somewhat Janusian do: He ignored it.

So, for the better part of the season, I have avoided engaging in discussions regarding the narration, concept, amplification, or design of this year's Cadets show. I figured I was not able to get a clear read on the show over streaming video, and would withhold my commentary on them until after I saw them live. Well, now that I have seen them live, I can tell you this much: The Cadets will NOT be winning the 2006 DCI title, and it isn't because they are being screwed in a "conspiracy" against them, it's because they are not performing their vehicle as well as the four corps ahead of them are. The hornline is a great hornline, and plays well, but there are numerous balance and intonation issues (granted, it's hard to get an accurate read because of the acoustics of the Dome, but there were some missed entrances and releases that I could hear clearly). The percussion, to my non-percussionist ears, sound a tad on the dirty side.

The guard seems to be their usual fantastic unit...it's just that there are other fantastic units on the field competing against them this year. And the drill....well, it's certianly good drill, and they do march it really well, but is it really anything earth-shattering? I keep hearing how Regiment's drill is not on par with Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cadets, etc...can someone please explain to me why they feel this way from an unbiased point of view? There really isn't anything special about the Cadets' drill...it is great drill, and it is performed well. But it is not anything "above and beyond." It moves a lot, and there are some "wow" pictures alongside some good transitions...but it isn't untouchable drill, as some have made it seem to be.

A lot of people have complained here and elsewhere that there is simply too much stuff to focus on, and I have to admit that I sat there wondering what they could mean by that. And it wasn't until near the end of the show that it really hit me how much truth there is to that: I found myself paying attention to "Alice's" acting with the "mirror" that reflected the school girl...completely missing the ending drill. So engrossed was I with what two members of the corps were doing that I completely missed what the other 133 members (minus the pit) were doing drill-wise at the end. It was then that I realised that I had missed a good chunk of the show's "easter eggs" because my focus was on something else. Now, I know a lot of people are going to say "well, it's a show that you have to see many times to get." Fair enough...but there were and are literally thousands of one-timers, people who will only get to see this show once (like myself). There isn't enough time to focus on everyting they are trying to present to us.

I did notice that there were massive changes to the opening...gone is "History Repeating" in favour of a reprise of music from last year. To be honest with you...and I know some of you will scream bloody murder...the introduction with the singing was more effective. I may not like amplified vocals in drum corps, but I liked the old beginning better than this one...

They perform what they are given very well...however, I am simply not convinced (like some here are) that they are doing it "so much better" than the corps above them. It is my opinion that the Cadets are where they belong, in fifth place. Some Cadets superfans/Borg act as if this is completely unacceptable and unfathomable: GET OVER YOURSELVES (and you know who you are...in fact, if you feel compelled to respond to this, then likely you are one of them). LOTS of corps would kill to be where you are, in fifth place. When you complain about it, it seems as if you believe that the Cadets have a God-given RIGHT to be in the top 3 every year. This could be just a bad year, an anomaly, and is not indicative of a trend for the Cadets...they do, after all, have a great history and tradition. But when you get all whiny and defensive about a show that is simply not as good as it has been made out to be, you guys look like unrealistic, fantasy land-dwellings gits of the highest order. Especially when you say arrogant and smug things like "this is the best drum corps show ever" and "what will you do WHEN the Cadets win the title in 2006." A little dose of humility is not going to kill you, and is probably the best thing to happen to the corps in the long run. For now, Cadets' fans will have to subscribe to the mantra used by the University of Michigan Wolverine football team: Wait until next year!

One other thing that has been bothering me concerning this show. The similarity between the Bocook "original" piece in the show and the John Williams piece "Jim's New Life" from "Empire of the Sun." If this piece is intended to be inspired by "Jim's New Life," then it should not be called an original, especially when there are so many similarities in structure and even melody between the two works. Am I the only one who has noticed this? I know that in the past the Cadets have performed "Cadillac of the Skies" from the Empire of the Sun soundtrack, so I am sure the designers are familiar with the particular track...

Bluecoats

What a show! The Bluecoats have come a long, long way since the days I marched. Last year's show was great, and they've gone out and topped it. Very clean visually, I enjoy the design. The soloist needs a little more confidence in the early part of the solo...it isn't convincing yet. The ending left me a little flat...is this the new ending or the old one? Whichever it is, I don't feel it is the most effective way to finish this show. I really enjoy the arranging in the Cirque du Soleil tune, thought it was well done. Are they still missing a contra? Seemed to me that I saw a hole in the line, and it got a tad distracting. The guard is really, really good...athletic, aggressive, and added a lot of effect to the show. I believe that if they continue to clean and refine the ending, they have a good shot at keeping the Cadets in fifth, and what the heck...they're still within striking distance of Regiment. They could certainly move up with a lot of hard work and a slip by Regiment or even Devils.

Phantom Regiment

Ah, the Phantom Regiment. I thought about simply not reviewing this show, because as an alumnus, I do believe that people just can't believe that I can be unbiased. Of course, many people don't recall how hard I was on the Regiment in 1998 while on RAMD, or how venomous I was toward the show design in 1999 after seeing the show in Madison. Lots of people seem to forget how disappointed I was in the 2000 production, which I criticized very harshly. Of course,

that all happened on RAMD, before the days of DCP, so I can understand that....but I bet people will also conveniently forget that I was critical of their 2004 Piazzolla production. In other words...yes, I am an alumnus of the Regiment, however...I've never been one to "drink the kool-aid" and simply accept what is coming out of Rockford blindly. When I have disliked their shows, I have said so. And when I have liked their shows, I have given them unconditional love.

So, as I said...I considered not reviewing the show. But then, I thought about all the goobers who review shows with their biases clearly and consciously showing, berating rival corps and pumping up their beloved corps with ridiculous claims, and I thought to myself: What the heck. My reviews certainly won't pull punches, but it won't be a love fest either.

This is the best Regiment show in many years, from a brass standpoint, from a percussion standpoint, from a guard standpoint, and yes...from a visual standpoint. The brass is powerful, and gets your attention from the get-go. The percussion is simply amazing...lots of notes, cleanly executed. The pit has one of the beefyiest books I've ever heard, and the guard -maligned through much of the season- seems to have found their form.

That isn't to say that they don't have a lot of work to do. Visually, there is still quite a bit of dirt, although they are much cleaner than they were in San Antonio. I noticed that they have changed the ending a little bit, and I'm not sure how effective this new change was, but...it could just be still not 100% because of its relative newness. I also noticed that they watered down the double-tongued sixteenth notes in the soprano section during "Enemy/Alien God," which is disappointing to me. I always hate watering down a book.

For those people who have said that this is not a technically proficient hornline, or those that have said that this is not a difficult horn book: I can only pray you are not music educators. I say that with the bias of being a music educator myself, but frankly, the person who claimed that the Cavaliers' horn book is harder than Regiment's horn book needs to either leave bias behind, or consider another line of work. Yes, this hornline is LOUD. But that is not it's only volume level, and I cannot for the life of me see where people come off saying so. There are plenty of piano and mezzo- dynamics throughout the show...but certainly, when they turn up the volume, it does certainly go to eleven. ($1 to Christopher Guest) Perhaps that is what is "blinding" (deafening?) some people to the other aspects of the show...certainly, they were the loudest corps there in my opinion, and in the opinion of SJ. She also thought they had the best hornline (she is a flute performance master's student, so take that for what it is worth).

Now, on to the visual. Honestly, people...what is that you want from this corps??? They are moving quite nicely out there, and their visual design is simply not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, and perhaps this IS the bias coming out in me, but I don't think so...it ISN'T that far away from the Devils' visual design. What exactly is so bad about this design, according to some people? Because Jamey doesn't use geometric shapes out the wazoo? Because there are relatively few "pictures" (I can only think of the "star" in the opener and the "wedge" in Ave Maria)? Is that what troubles people? The lack of "pretty pictures?" Honestly, I can completely understand that mentality...I really can. But pretty pictures isn't the end-all be-all of visual design. Are they in the same league as Cavaliers in visual design? Absolutely not. Not yet, but I hope they are going down that path. However, I have a feeling that people just have a pre-conceived notion about Regiment's drill due to the fact that we've had something like nine different drill writers since John Brazale died.

And honestly, I think there is a certain amount of truth to Chris Atkinson's assertion that people like the Regiment a lot more when they aren't making noise and threatening to beat certain corps. When Regiment is way out of the picture, and less threatening, there don't seem to be this many criticisms of their designs. In any case, this show is not "there" yet. Right now, Blue Devils and Cavaliers are both performing their shows better, and the Bluecoats and Cadets are not far behind. Regiment must continue to clean their show from an ensemble visual perspective. Bob Smith must continue to beat up on the members to improve their individual marching, which we were known for for a good many years. And there needs to be some extra "oomph" to the ending, in my opinion, which I have a feeling is coming for Allentown or Madison. Can this show win? Yes, it could. Will it? Not likely, though it is certainly a dark horse candidate. Is it a great show that I will listen to and watch often, regardless of placement? Absolutely. The guys and gals in Rockford, as well as the staff, have given us a great show, and I want to thank them.

Cavaliers

I'm not sure I like the format they use to determine order of appearance at these events, considering that the Cavaliers had beaten the Devils at the San Antonio regional, and the scores used for the average were from shows hundreds of miles apart with varying levels of competition. However, the Cavaliers rose to the occasion and performed a nearly flawless visual program. This is a funny, enjoyable show, with lots of visual "gags" to emphasize the Machine concept. It's a good thing too, that the show is about machines, because while I like this show, the music is a bit soulless. SJ is fantastic with remembering tunes, so I was interested to see if she could whistle something from the show as we walked back to the hotel...she could not. She could whistle something from Regiment, Devils (other than the main theme), Cadets, Crown, Coats, etc. But not from Cavaliers. To be honest with you...neither can I. None of their music stuck with me...I was too engrossed with what they were doing visually, which is always a treat. Michael Gaines is simply a genius. However...visual does not count as 100% of the score.

Can the Cavaliers be caught? Yes, I think they can be...but not in the visual deparment. Phantom Regiment certainly did not deserve GE Visual in my opinion last night...but then again, I must not know what is the criteria, because Cavaliers 2000 did not win visual GE, and to me that show is the definition of GE Visual. Shows you what I know. Oh, I really dug their guard work...the guard added a lot to the show concept overall. Anytime you can engage the audience as the Cavaliers did, you're going in the right direction. I laughed out loud in certain spots. It's a great show...I just wish (as I do most years) that there was more music. In 2000 and 2004, the Cavaliers married a good musical show with great visuals...I wish they did it every year...they would truly be unstoppable.

Blue Devils

This is the first Blue Devils show that I have truly liked since...I don't know....1988. Well, maybe 1990's "Tommy" and 1997 are up there in my top five also. I really dig this show, and the first time I saw it on Season Pass, I said it was going to win the title. It still has a great shot to win it, but...there are a few things that bothered me seeing it live:

1. The cross is overused. The first time it's awesome. The second time it was great, because of the different tempi in movement within the cross. The third time...it's almost lost it's effectiveness.

2. The show hasn't really changed much since I first saw it, and I now realize that there are big chunks of repetitive material here.

3. The horsehead and fish flags are, in my opinion, high school bandish. They are cheesy.

That being said [tm], this is a well-performed show that just seems to be a little stagnant right now. They can certainly spice some things up, clean the heck out of it, and contend for the title. However...this is just my feeling: They will be caught by Regiment. The stripe running down their uni tops makes it look like they're wearing a track suit, and I was reminded of Bill Murray's character in "Broken Flowers." If only they would transfer that stripe to their pants instead! :) However, the effect may have actually worked, since they did remind me of overweight Italian New Yorkers who wear tracksuits often. :P

Random Awards

Best Visual Package: Cavaliers, with honorable mention to SCV.

Best Music Package: Phantom Regiment, with honorable mention to Bluecoats.

Best Hornline: Phantom Regiment, with honorable mention to Bluecoats.

Best Drumline: Phantom Regiment, with honorable mention to Bluecoats.

Best Guard: Blue Devils, with honorable mention to Bluecoats.

Best GE: Cavaliers, with honorable mention to Blue Devils.

My prediction for DCI Finals:

12. Toledo Glassmen

11. Denver Blue Knights

10. Spirit of Atlanta

9. Boston Crusaders

8. Madison Scouts

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

6. Carolina Crown

5. Garfield Cadets

4. Canton Bluecoats

3. Concord Blue Devils

2. Phantom Regiment

1. Rosemont Cavaliers

I predict that the top three will be separated by 5 tenths.

There, now that I have completely riled you up, go ahead and flame away.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this rivals and eclipses my review from Allentown last year (lengthwise anyway). A good read though :)

I agree with your honorable mention to SCV on the visual. Pete Webber is a visual genius and I thoroughly enjoy watching/marching his drill.

Edited by dciguy01

Nikk

Thanks for an excellent review. Any attempts of mine to do a review of Allentown this coming weekend will certainly fall short.

gil

Regarding your question about the Bluecoat contra hole. I noticed that for the first few minutes of the show he stood by the backfield drum major stand and then entered the show and stayed till the end. Not sure why he wasn't in at the beginning.

I noticed several corps from the top 12 to the afternoon corps all has holes. Hopefully these can be filled.

I posted a review over in the review forum...its interesting how opinions differ on shows. Its what make Drum Corps so great...different things appeal to different fans in different ways. I personally can't wait for my second viewing at Finals in Madison. Maybe the shows that let me down a little will surprise me after seeing it again.

Thanks for the review. I agreed with a lot of your comments, especially the paragraph regarding too much going on in the Cadets show, and the comments on Bloo's ending. The biggest disagreement I had would be with the Cavaliers: I constantly find myself humming and whistling their music at work. :)

Very detailed and well-thought-out review, thanks for taking the time.

Just a point regarding this:

Bluecoats

The soloist needs a little more confidence in the early part of the solo...it isn't convincing yet.

From watching the live stream, it appeared that the soloist was had problems with a sticky valve which compromised the clarity of the solo...and thus may have come across as unconvincing.