Incredibly Long Atlanta Review...

This is what we need more reviews like. Competent, well-worded, and no criticism left unjustified. Thank you, Nikk, this is a review for me (as a review writer) to look up to.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review!

Of course, I always laugh when people say they can't hum melodies from Cavaliers' shows... I'm just sayin...

Well, laugh away...

I can't hum a single melody from this year's show. Or last year's show. I can hum a few things from the 2002 show, but not from 2003.

And I watch their DVDs often when I am looking for inspiration on drill...not to steal Gaines' ideas, but just to get inspiration...every time I watch his ideas flow, it makes me more receptive to new drill ideas. So you can count me among the Cavaliers fans...big time fans over the past half-dozen years. But I just don't like much of their music.

It's all good. What they do works for them.

Pet Peeve Alert: I wish DCI would rope off a section for staff members from the corps who want to see the performances. IT IS NOT SAFE FOR THEM TO SIT IN THE AISLES! Not only is it not safe, it is annoying because they don't seem to care about talking loudly while we are trying to enjoy shows. And for crying out loud, April Gilligan....DON'T ANSWER YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE MIDDLE OF A RIVAL CORPS PERFORMANCE!!!! I mean, REALLY! Come on! Of all people who should know better!

I don't think she cares. I remember a few years ago, when the Normal, IL show was rained out, all of the corps did a standstill inside a fieldhouse (or something like that). Off to the side of the bleachers, she ran a sectional with her guard. No problem, right?

....Except that she kept time for them with a drumstick and block, even when other corps were playing for the crowd. I understand making the most of your time, but I didn't think that was what I'd call classy.

Great review Nikk as always. but one little criticism. In your predictions

for finals, you put the name of the cities that the corps are from

but leave out Rockford/Loves Park for Phantom. Is it because it

would take up too much space or what? :P

Nikk-

1. You could shorten your reviews by leaving out all those unnecessary "U's"

2. Why did you have to pick my alma mater to make fun of? We won a national championship in 1997 (yeah, shared with Nebraska)

3. If we can't beat Notre Dame or Ohio State this year, there's always next year. Go Blue

I don't think she cares. I remember a few years ago, when the Normal, IL show was rained out, all of the corps did a standstill inside a fieldhouse (or something like that). Off to the side of the bleachers, she ran a sectional with her guard. No problem, right?

....Except that she kept time for them with a drumstick and block, even when other corps were playing for the crowd. I understand making the most of your time, but I didn't think that was what I'd call classy.

Speaking of the Devil, I just received an email from her. I won't repost the email, of course, but...she did leave me with these little nuggets:

"What a big man you are.....If you had a problem with something I said or I did then tell me face to face........But on a computer???????? Your kidding me!!!!!!!!! How old are you???????"

and

"Yes my phone rang and yes I will answer it any dam time I please"

She said that there was an emergency on the other line (she went into detail, but I won't...she deserves her privacy). If what she mentioned is true, then I hope everything is resolved, but...still....having a phone go off and then answering it in the middle of a corps show is going to draw you criticism and complaints...deal with it. That does not mean I have any animosity toward her...I don't even know her, and wouldn't have known it was her had people around me not complained about it when it happened and talked about who she was.

Still...funny that those Cadets staffers that are supposedly never on DCP apparently are...let's not kid ourselves...they read almost everything we have to say.

I don't care who someone is or what emergency it is, you put your cell phone on vibrate if you have to and if it rings (and you feel it buzz), leave to answer it.

I agree with your statement that there needs to be an area roped off for staff to watch. Crowding in the aisles and standing at the rails is dangerous and gets in the way of those of us who paid money (good money in the upper level) to see the show. They need to watch and need a place to be able to do that.

I hum the ballad to the Cavaliers all the time! BD is obvious since it was a movie sound track. Seen Regiment 4 times this summer, and their music is familiar because of my many music history courses (music minor, art major long time ago) and I like it too.

I enjoy reading your reviews and comments. Thanks

Nice review. Blue Knights arn't finishing 11th come Finals. No way they finish this low. I don't see their brass line as muddied at all. I'm not a particular fan of this dark show, but this Corps has a difficult musical book, performed very well. Terrific brass balance in my view.

Edited by X DM

Great review Nikk as always. but one little criticism. In your predictions

for finals, you put the name of the cities that the corps are from

but leave out Rockford/Loves Park for Phantom. Is it because it

would take up too much space or what? :P

Point of interest: This year it is just the "Rockford Phantom Regiment" apparently due to Loves Park's dropping the ball on its financial backing of the corps. But that doesn't shock me half as much as finding out that nobody from Rockford (or Loves Park) is a corps member this year. :(

"Yes my phone rang and yes I will answer it any dam time I please"

What a classy lady (sarcasm off)! Ughhhh, I can't stand that kind of attitude. Reminds me of an experience with a director of a WGI independent line at finals a few years ago...sat in a momentarily vacant seat behind me in my primo front row $75.00 VIP seats, instead of in the section WGI had set aside specifically for staff members, and totally ruined my enjoyment of his own line's performance. I have no respect for him (he said some things that were pretty inappropriate, especially considering the fact that there were a couple of young teenagers sitting beside him), and I've found it difficult not to let that attitude rub off on my feelings for his group. I won't name him, but the whole thing was not a good way to represent your unit as a director.

Bottom line: staff members should have their phones off just like the rest of the audience; they should be respectful of the people sitting around them who have PAID for their seats; and they should shut up during performances other than to cheer like the rest of the crowd. If the phone is on vibrate and you see a number come up that would lead you to believe it's a call you have to take right that very minute, take you and your phone to the concession area just like a regular fan would. Being a staffer doesn't make you above showing respect for the audience or the performing corps, whether it's your own or a rival corps that's on the field!!!