Stephan, I have put together an initial article about ICA on DrumCorpsWIki based on your post. Let me know if you think it requires any more or any corrections.

Hmmm... I think I have edited out the known inaccuracies in my initial post. Please add the info shared by others in subsequent posts. But I believe Empire did not drop out of ICA until its demise sometime post-1990. Drum Corps New York had a senior corps division in 1991-93 but I cannot recall corps other than Crusaders and Capital Brass participating in those. A lot of those years run together...

Someone commented on the 1985 ICA Championship in Erie. Yes, it was monsoon season, but one of the top three best drum corps parties I ever attended (or was alleged to have attended). I could write another four paragraphs just on the party and the subsequent "Great Marigold War of 1985". Details can still be found (I'm afraid) elsewhere here on Drum Corps Planet...

Perhaps if I attend next year's G.A.S. Reunion, I might be able to spend some time researching scores and champions from old issues of Drum Corps World. And if I ever finish unpacking the garage (after three years here in the Midwest), I might find some of the DCW articles I wrote from that era, though I think most will apply to DCNY.

Please feel free to contact me at k2sma@earthlink.net if you have any further questions.

P.S. - Doing a quick read of your Wiki post, I see a few minor corrections that need to be made. Looks like simply a case of your mind getting ahead of your fingers, which happens to me all the time. Will review and get these to you later.

Edited by K2SMA

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should also be noted that there was another senior circuit between the end of RCA and the beginning of ICA... That senior circuit was the AIDC... I don't remember what the AIDC stool for, but the audience participated in the voting for the winner.... The program book had a page listing the participating drumcorps, you listed your placement, passed the votes into the aisle , they were collected, tallied, and a winner was chosen.... I remember Westernport Blue Angel, Sharpsburg Cadets, Tyrone Gaurd, new re-assurangence of the Yankee Rebels, Pittsburgh Rockets.... I attended a show outside of Cumberland, Md in the late 1970s... I don't think the orginization lasted more than a year or two, but this is also an addition to the info you are seeking....

Pgh Guy

Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

I participated in the early years of ICA... The Steel City website lists the following:

1981 Championships - Erie Thunderbirds

1982 Championships - Steel City Ambassadors - Alliance, Oh

1983 Championships - Steel City Ambassadors - Townson, Md

1984 Championships - Steel City/Empire Statesmen(tie) - Townson, Md

I know that Empire Statesmen were involved in the management of the circuit from the mid 1980s until the end...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

A correction from the AIDC posting above... The circuit was only one year 1980... Here are results of a show held in Huntington, Pa

AIDC show

Yankee Rebels 87.25

Tyrone Guard 76.70

Blue Angels 74.65

Cambria Cadets 74.15

Exhibition Pgh Rockets

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ICA show Penn Argyl, Pa June 28, 1980

Hanover Lancers 68.65

Yankee Rebels 66.60

Renaissance 58.00

Ohio Brass Factory 40.40

---------------------------------------

ICA show Erie, Pa July 24, 1982

Steel City 67.90

Erie Thunderbirds 61.55

Regionaires 58.00

Ohio Brass Factory 57.40

Rochester Crusaders 47.40

----------------------------------------

ICA show Towsen, Md July 31, 1982

Steel City 64.65

Bushwackers 63.90

Archie-Epler 63.80

Ohio Brass Factory 52.85

Hanover Lancers 51.30

Troy Defenders 41.25

------------------------------------------

ICA Championships Alliance, Oh August 28, 1982

Steel City 72.40

Erie Thunderbirds 66.30

Bushwackers 65.35

Ohio Brass Factory 64.60

Hanover Lancers 54.55

Troy Defenders 37.20

---------------------------------------------

ICA show Pgh, Pa July 9, 1983

Steel City 74.15

Guelph Royalaires 66.35

Ohio Brass Factory 59.60

Rochester Crusaders 52.40

Troy Defenders 41.75

---------------------------------------------

ICA Championships Towson, Md August 27, 1983

Steel City 71.40

Empire Statesmen 65.75

Rochester Crusaders 62.35

Ohio Brass Factory 61.90

Minnesota Brass 51.30

Troy Defenders 37.85

----------------------------------------------

I do NOT have any 1984 scores

ICA Championships Erie, Pa August 24, 1985

Rochester Crusaders 94.00

Empire Statesmen 87.90

Excalibur Sr. 84.20

Guelph Royalaires 81.00

Westshoremen 74.90

Gen Butler Vagabond Sr. 74.60

Milton Keystoners 52.90

Knights Noble Callahan 47.00

I think RCA was from 1969 thru 1978..... AIDC in 1980..... and ICA from 1980 thru 1989....

Just my $.02 worth.....I hope this info helps... Good luck

Most of the information was provided from the website Corpsrep, thanks Ron...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Edited by Pgh Guy2

ICA Championships Erie, Pa August 24, 1985

Rochester Crusaders 94.00

Empire Statesmen 87.90

Excalibur Sr. 84.20

Guelph Royalaires 81.00

Westshoremen 74.90

Gen Butler Vagabond Sr. 74.60

Milton Keystoners 52.90

Knights Noble Callahan 47.00

Interesting as Westshore came in 12th at DCA the next(?) weekend. Raining bad during our show IIRC so wonder how much that affected the score. Honestly can't remember any of the regular season shows except for Uncle Sam on his stilts and bass guitar player (both Empire).

ICA show Penn Argyl, Pa June 28, 1980

Hanover Lancers 68.65

Yankee Rebels 66.60

Renaissance 58.00

Ohio Brass Factory 40.40

John G

Note from Lancers history say this was the first ICA show ever and exhibitions by Garfield Cadets and Emerald Grenadiers all-Girls

Only other notes on ICA is that 1983 championship site was Towson State Univ.

Not really anything else other that "do not have results"..... :sad:

Hmmm... I think I have edited out the known inaccuracies in my initial post. Please add the info shared by others in subsequent posts. But I believe Empire did not drop out of ICA until its demise sometime post-1990. Drum Corps New York had a senior corps division in 1991-93 but I cannot recall corps other than Crusaders and Capital Brass participating in those. A lot of those years run together...

Someone commented on the 1985 ICA Championship in Erie. Yes, it was monsoon season, but one of the top three best drum corps parties I ever attended (or was alleged to have attended). I could write another four paragraphs just on the party and the subsequent "Great Marigold War of 1985". Details can still be found (I'm afraid) elsewhere here on Drum Corps Planet...

Perhaps if I attend next year's G.A.S. Reunion, I might be able to spend some time researching scores and champions from old issues of Drum Corps World. And if I ever finish unpacking the garage (after three years here in the Midwest), I might find some of the DCW articles I wrote from that era, though I think most will apply to DCNY.

Please feel free to contact me at k2sma@earthlink.net if you have any further questions.

P.S. - Doing a quick read of your Wiki post, I see a few minor corrections that need to be made. Looks like simply a case of your mind getting ahead of your fingers, which happens to me all the time. Will review and get these to you later.

Steve,

the mind is the first to go I guess... I was involved with DCNY with Patriots on the Junior end for MANY years... and vaguely remember some talk of a senior class during the 80's, but I was corps director of Cru for 4 seasons from 1990 till 1993... I remember nothing about being involved in DCNY during that period...

I participated in the early years of ICA... The Steel City website lists the following:

1981 Championships - Erie Thunderbirds

1982 Championships - Steel City Ambassadors - Alliance, Oh

1983 Championships - Steel City Ambassadors - Townson, Md

1984 Championships - Steel City/Empire Statesmen(tie) - Townson, Md

I know that Empire Statesmen were involved in the management of the circuit from the mid 1980s until the end...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

87 winner was Empire (I remember Vince Bruni telling me I finally won a championship)

• 2 months later...