I just spent 23 of the last 26 days on the road hauling gear for Frontier. I learned a few things on this trip:

1) The only thing worth seeing between Dallas, TX and St Paul, MN is the SPAM museum in Austin, MN.

2) The only thing worth seeing between Dallas, TX and Rochester, NY is nothing. And a vast expanse of it as well.

3) DCA really is bush league.

The day of prelims it was raining incredibly hard and non-stop. The temperature was 56 degrees and there was a tornado warning in place. Hardly anyone was in the stands. The corps "warmed-up" in these conditions for hours, then went out and played their shows.

Ahh, drum-corps machismo. Gotta play in the worst conditions. Have to put up with abusive, arrogant instructors. Must continue to play for short-sighted promoters that would be run out of any legitimate entertainment company. Hmm.

It was up to DCA to either postpone the show until conditions improved (the next morning) or move the competition inside for standstill. They did neither, even though there was at least one week advance notice of this storm.

Any other show or sporting event short of the NFL would have cancelled/postponed/adjusted the show or the venue. It's an issue of professionalism and common sense, the kind you get at the higher levels of show business. Of course I, always the professional, spent the show inside of my heated truck and played "Go Fish" with my kid. We had a swell time.

Do I seem bitter? Hope not. But it's really, really great to be back home.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent 23 of the last 26 days on the road hauling gear for Frontier. I learned a few things on this trip:

1) The only thing worth seeing between Dallas, TX and St Paul, MN is the SPAM museum in Austin, MN.

2) The only thing worth seeing between Dallas, TX and Rochester, NY is nothing. And a vast expanse of it as well.

3) DCA really is bush league.

The day of prelims it was raining incredibly hard and non-stop. The temperature was 56 degrees and there was a tornado warning in place. Hardly anyone was in the stands. The corps "warmed-up" in these conditions for hours, then went out and played their shows.

Ahh, drum-corps machismo. Gotta play in the worst conditions. Have to put up with abusive, arrogant instructors. Must continue to play for short-sighted promoters that would be run out of any legitimate entertainment company. Hmm.

It was up to DCA to either postpone the show until conditions improved (the next morning) or move the competition inside for standstill. They did neither, even though there was at least one week advance notice of this storm.

Any other show or sporting event short of the NFL would have cancelled/postponed/adjusted the show or the venue. It's an issue of professionalism and common sense, the kind you get at the higher levels of show business. Of course I, always the professional, spent the show inside of my heated truck and played "Go Fish" with my kid. We had a swell time.

Do I seem bitter? Hope not. But it's really, really great to be back home.

My daughter, who marched both DCI and DCA, was out at Rochester with some friends. She said the conditions were terrible as World Gone Mad as stated. She watched part of prelims in rain, then headed to the concourse to watch on the tv's then with 2 corps left, decided to bail and go back to the hotel. I hope the "powers that be" have enough $$%%* to to take this into consideration for next year. She watched a few corps practice in the rainy, wet conditions. To all DCA corps, but especially to those run DCA, get your #### together.

One thing to consider:

Forecasts Friday night had Ernesto fueled rain coming down in that area of NY until at least Monday AM. Rochester lucked out that the rain broke when it did. My area of PA also had sunny weather a good 12-24 hours earlier than expected. A postponement based on weather would have been more than a day which would have hit members work and school schedules. Same problem that hit Hershey and Allentown in the past.

Can't kick on an indoor backup plan but... any ideas????

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

1st point...you cant put DCA's all inone day anymore with the alumni show going on.. unless you start at 3am.

2nd point...you must be a bandparent since by you saying have a standstill is really stupid and idiotic.

as a marching member you have to deal with whatever situation is given to you as long as there isn't lightning. yes it was cold and misserable,but thats what brings you closer as a corps when there is situations you can't control.

DCA did the best job they could for what they were faced with. they made it the best expierience for all the corps as best that they could.

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud.... Class A prelims did not start until 2:00. How long was the Alumni performances total? Would it have not fit in the morning slot say from 9-1 (thinking of worst case scenario)? Yeah it is not the best idea but considering the torrential rain I would have voted for that option. Drum Corps ALL DAY LONG.. sounds great to me!!!!

As an instructor for SoCal Dream, I am really offended by this comment.

To make such a global statement is completely uncalled for.

If you/your kid had a bad experience where he/she marched that's a problem you need to address with your CORPS.

As an instructor for SoCal Dream, I am really offended by this comment.

To make such a global statement is completely uncalled for.

If you/your kid had a bad experience where he/she marched that's a problem you need to address with your CORPS.

Back in the day when I marched, I recall twice that tornadoes were headed our way. We waited it out. The show sponsors decided to have a standstill instead and the fans stayed. Our instructors were worried about the safety of the girls( I was in an all girl corps) and did not have our runthroughs before the show.Thank God, we were spared. So Thom, I am offended by your remark. Reply to me please, .

Annie

We all experienced DCA weekend the same. If weather was a problem and you wish it rectified I suggest.....www.god.com......but I wouldn't wait for an answer for to long....