Rochester is not known for its balmy weather!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather was out of anyones control for DCA Prelims. However, the fact that certain corps were not notified by DCA to remain at their hotels until the schedule could be determined (I.E. Tornado warning in effect) while other corps were notified does bring up a question of consistency and fairness by DCA itself.

Additionally, the Paetec stadium was and still is a work in progess (I.E. An unfinished luxury box/viewing area for appropriate judging personnel) that begs the question of what DCA was thinking when they selected the site for the 2006 DCA Championships. Discussions have occurred on Drum Corps Planet as to the suitability of the DCI Championshipd in Madison in 2006. Paetec nor DCA were ready for the realities of the 2006 championships (I.E. An unfinished Paetec facility, and lack of forsight on DCA's part to properly plan for all contingencies including weather related issues). If the Alumni spectactular was more highly valued than the DCA Championship prelims then DCA needs to revisit the underlying philisophical reasons for holding the competitively scored portion of the DCA weekend. By being flexible enough to modify the schedule and move the Alumni spectactular indoors DCA would have allowed all participating groups to perform without comprimising the scored Drum Corps component.

All performing Drum Corps, competitive and alumni, would prefer to perform on the traditional open field venue, but leadership would demand that modifications be made where appropriate and necessary.

I believe that DCA will greatly improve the overall experience at the upcoming 2007 Paetec championships given proper reflection and discussion with all of the involved parties. If the phtographic and videographic professionals pull the plug on an event as they did at the DCA Prelims, then it might be a good indication that the weather has become unsuitable for competing Drum Corps to perform in.

Hopefully, this thread can piggy-back on the previous DCA thread asking for feedback and discussion of the DCA Championships. I am very supportive of the overall DCA experience and hope to see the activity flourish and continue to grow in both performer's and fans.

Can't wait to see what 2007 brings for DCA !!!

Ok, So am I the only one that doesn't remember it raining too hard near the end? In fact, I was hoping it would rain harder around the time we went on to the end. I'm not in the guard, so I have nooo clue how the wind was, but I know there were some people I was marching along side with that wished it would rain harder. Getting off our bus to go to our warmup area, people were freaking out like it was their job. Granted, a good percentage of them were guard people. All I remember is walking to that site like the end of the world is coming and we're going out in a bang.

Rain...your going to get wet. There were at least 2 or 3 shows this season that had rain during them. Your going to get wet. As I told my campers that I once taught, your not going to melt. Get sick....maybe. It happens. Had their been lightning going on then I would see cause for concern, but there wasn't. The turf wasn't slippery, so there was no immeniate danger to the performers (remember, technique will save you.)

For all the "if they had only waited until Sunday" ideas here's a bit of info you might not have known. Mid afternoon Saturday the forecast for western NY and good bit of PA was rain almost all (or all) day Sunday. IOW at the time Prelims started Sunday looked to be just as bad as Saturday, so waiting a day wasn't going to help matters.

Caught this on the Weather Channel at home as I was checking for home and Rochesters forecast.

Back in the day when I marched, I recall twice that tornadoes were headed our way. We waited it out. The show sponsors decided to have a standstill instead and the fans stayed. Our instructors were worried about the safety of the girls( I was in an all girl corps) and did not have our runthroughs before the show.Thank God, we were spared. So Thom, I am offended by your remark. Reply to me please, .

Annie

And when I marched we left town when tornadoes were coming.

My comments were directed at the comments of abusive, arogant instructors.

This does have anything to do with the weather!!!

The Staff at SoCal Dream is always concerned about the safety of our membership. I was unable to make it to finals(due to the birth of my daughter), so I cannot say if the weather was so bad that the show should have been cancelled.

It is not the decision of the Corps Management to cancel or postpone a show, that can only be done by the show sponsor. While we can decide not to perform, that was a decision that we did not make.

For the record, no part of western New York, or anywhere within 60-90 miles of Rochester on that Saturday, was under either a tornado warning or severe thunderstorm warning at any time on Saturday. I heard a rumor of a tornado warning before leaving the hotel and immediately called my friend Tim, a certified meteorologist. There were no warnings of any kind of that nature.

Be that as it may, wow, the weather sure did stink. But it was rain and wind gusts, no lightning, no tornadoes.

i love how the people that are #####ing about the rain and the whole weekend ISN'T the people who actually MARCHED!

if you dont want to be there in the rain or muck STAY HOME!..easy as that.

and im sure the person that said they waited out tornados and had a standstill i am guessing that it wasn't CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND! please people get real with your comments...we all dealt with the weather and made it work...enough said.

Obviously everyone - including DCA Mgmt I'm sure - agrees that the conditions were deplorable. You can't plan for Hurricanes certainly. WorldGoneMad was certainly bitter, but the undertones obviously were that he did not enjoy the roadtrip at all, is not a long time drum corp person, was bitter Frontier did not have a better season, hates the Gene Kelly classic movie 'Singing in the Rain' and does not like anything outside the confines of the State of Texas. Unfortunately, he also does not have a clue as to what it takes to run a show as large as the DCA-Championships. I certainly am not part of that organization, but I believe that DCA did the best they could under the conditions. The stadium was contracted for specific dates - to extend that would have cost considerable extra $$$ - where was that money going to come from ? I would guess a large contingent of the corp members had plane tickets purchased for the return - members had to get back for work and school etc. The out of pocket expenses for an extra day would have been considerable and most likely not an option. The option to cancel the show was there, but I doubt many marching members would have voted for that. Chalk this one off as a less than perfect weekend for some. To blame DCA for everything that went wrong is absurd - not saying things were perfect as obviously there were many holes in the planning and facilities. Unclear what they could have done given day delays were most likely not an option. An indoor standstill option was also absurd given this is a 'marching' activity. Hopefully DCA will really focus on the issues and strive to improve - waht more can you expect.

i love how the people that are #####ing about the rain and the whole weekend ISN'T the people who actually MARCHED!

if you dont want to be there in the rain or muck STAY HOME!..easy as that.

and im sure the person that said they waited out tornados and had a standstill i am guessing that it wasn't CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND! please people get real with your comments...we all dealt with the weather and made it work...enough said.

Yes it was a CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND for us back in the day. It was important to me. I have marched in heavy rainfall and the like so I have dealt with it Enough said