Alan Winslow - Prayers Needed

Alan's pictures were always among the finest... I also used them often in DCA because of their quality CONTENT. He is not a professional photographer but rather an amateur photographer, old drum corps performer and judge who has an "eye" for the flow of the show and catching a good shot...

speaking of OLD drum corps performer... lol

Alan also gets the nod along with Ron Allard and a host of others as part of St. Joe's (Batavia) "over the hill gang"... was there anyone UNDER 21 in Joe's? :)

I still treasure the studio style pictures he did of my 3 babies in 1973...

thanks old friend

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up Brent.Alan is an Associate member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

We were not aware of his diagnosis, nor his condition. The HOF will keep him in our prayers.

Please send me his email addy privately.

Thanks,

Sent!

I first met Alan around 1992 or 1993 when he recruited me to judge marching band contests for the Texas Educational Judges Association. He was the first person to really introduce me to senior corps and spoke often about his time with Empire Statesmen and how highly he regarded Vince Bruni and the Statesmen family. He almost convinced me to join the Statesmen in 1995 but time, money and distance just wouldnt allow it.

speaking of OLD drum corps performer... lol

Alan also gets the nod along with Ron Allard and a host of others as part of St. Joe's (Batavia) "over the hill gang"... was there anyone UNDER 21 in Joe's? :)

Tom, you reminded me of one of my favorite drum corps stories. I took four years off from marching when I was younger (1968 thru 1971 seasons) because I was attending college in a year-round co-op program. I went to DCA in 1971 in Rochester and ran into Alan and a bunch of other guys I had played with in 1967. Alan was about 25 years old at the time, and I know of one other guy who was two or three years older. They asked me what I was going to do next year (1972), meaning of course about drum corps. I was living in Buffalo and I told them I was going to march Hamburg Kingsmen. Alan told me I should come to Batavia and march St. Joe's, and I replied that I was going to be 22 in a few weeks and would therefore be too old. Alan replied, "So what - we're all still marching!" The rest, as they say, is the history of the 1972 season.

Roger,

Drum Corps World lists Alan publicly as:

Alan Winslow

7750 Culebra # 3116

San Antonio. Texas 78251

Thanks, Fred. I had a different address in San Antonio.

And I do believe that is correct.

That is the correct address Brent and thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Alan passed away about an hour ago in San Antonio.

Our prayers are with the family, including two adopted sons.

No news right now regarding services.

So Sorry to hear! Our thoughts are with his family.

Josh and Valeri Katz

Edited by JKatzmellophone

Alan passed away about an hour ago in San Antonio.

Our prayers are with the family, including two adopted sons.

No news right now regarding services.

So sorry to hear that.

my condolances go out to all of his freinds and family.

UPDATE!!!

The services are Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, 9/26 & 27, at Porter Loring Funeral Home, which is located at 1101 McCullough Avenue, San Antonio, Texas, 78212. Their phone number is 210-227-8221.

Regards,