.....I don't know.... Brigs had gone almost 5 complete years undefeated, before Cabs edged us out at the Hurc's show the week before Finals. It's not my place to 'second-guess' a full panel of DCA judges, but there were a lot of people who sided with the Brigs, and thought they should have won. But, like '72...it's in the history books now. The important focus is always on the FUTURE.

'72 WAS one heck of a year though!!! :lol:

I most certanly will not argue, "who should have" on this board :P , but my point that it was not like 72, we were never 4 pts back and finished 4th at shows that year. Early August we were less then .3 away from Brigs, then passed you in West Haven. The two corps didn't meet so much that year, but to say it was like 72 - IMO is not accurate.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. :)

After reading the GREAT posts in this thread, I feel compelled to chime in. 1972 was my second year of involvement in the activity and I had front row seats along the 3rd base line at Roosevelt Stadium. Didn't see a bit of drill all evening, but the audio was amazing! And I remember it like it was yesterday!

The Cabs / Sky / Cru debate may continue for another 35 years. That said, let me remember some other highlights! It was the first year of Sky's "Traffic Jam" drill, designed by a young Bobby Hoffman. Cabs did come (literally!) out of nowhere to win it all. (I'll deftly avoid any further discussion regarding Chief Judge Bill Kemmerer and Mr. Holton.) And Cru's presentation of Lt. Kije Suite and Jesus Christ Superstar was simply incredible.

Many people still believe The Bucs Russian Sailor's Dance and Something would have been in the winner's circle had it not been for the two weeks lost due the damage of Hurricane Agnes in late June. It was the first year of the post-Frank Ferraro era. The Hurcs color pre included themes reminiscent of the world powers wrapped with The Impossible Dream and the closer of Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Les Diplomates were amazing with their rotating horn block during Madame Butterfly and corps continue to use that move today. The Rebels slipped that year from the two previous 2nd place finishes, but still had "it" with an amazing staff, MacArthur Park Rock and Requiem for an Era.

John Arietano with the Sunrisers also had had a tough season, but were on the brink gaining momentum for the latter part of the decade. Remember the cream-colored cadet-style jackets? The Hamburg Kingsmen were still in the mix, trouping the stands with Shuffle Off to Buffalo.

Yes, it was the first finals performance for the Matadors with Eleanor Rigby and also for the Burlington Commanders with In-A-Ga-Da-Da-Vida and the last for the Pittsburgh Rockets with soloist Riggie Laus in Theme from "Patton", which was also the Cabs color-pre.

The T&P rule which dropped Sky to second place was changed the following winter to 1/10th point for each increment of 6 seconds or less. The legal action involving the judging took nearly three years to resolve and scarred both parties. Dynasties were the rule. Sky won 21 in a row over 1971-72 before the Schenectady show. Cabs were undefeated into the 1975 season before Bucs and Sky finally caught them again. Sky won the '75 championship but the Cabs were back in '76. It was 1979 until the Bucs regained the title. Sun was the winner in '77 and '78.

I'm drained...!

One correction, the Cabs lost 2 shows to Reading in 1974.

Must be these two...?

Hershey Show

June 29, 1974

Hershey, Pennsylvania

1 Reading Buccaneers 82.25

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 80.75

3 Yankee Rebels 77.90

4 Rhode Island Matadors 71.65

5 Erie Thunderbirds 58.95

Matador Invitational

July 20, 1974

Providence, Rhode Island

1 Reading Buccaneers 83.15

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 82.60

3 New York Skyliners 78.65

4 Connecticut Hurricanes 75.10

5 Yankeee Rebels 74.10

6 Sunrisers 59.75

Must be these two...?

Hershey Show

June 29, 1974

Hershey, Pennsylvania

1 Reading Buccaneers 82.25

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 80.75

3 Yankee Rebels 77.90

4 Rhode Island Matadors 71.65

5 Erie Thunderbirds 58.95

Matador Invitational

July 20, 1974

Providence, Rhode Island

1 Reading Buccaneers 83.15

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 82.60

3 New York Skyliners 78.65

4 Connecticut Hurricanes 75.10

5 Yankeee Rebels 74.10

6 Sunrisers 59.75

Ron: Bingo!

Mr. Williams, while I no longer have any hard feelings towards what occurred 34 years ago, I DO however take exception to the claim that Cabs won that show knowing all that took place. While it is listed that the Cabs had the best score that evening for those of us who REALLY know what took place it is a hollow claim. I deeply enjoyed my competitive years against you guys, and have voiced on many an occasion that there have been a number of times when I've felt your boot placed firmly up my arse, on at least as many occasions I have had the pleasure of placing my boot firmly up your's.

At 20 years old and my second year with the Cabs, I really was not aware nor did I care about the politics in the back rooms. All I know is the score that was announced for the Cabs was the top score.

Penalty, who cares? Do the 1986 Mets care about Bill Buckner's glaring error that led to Boston's demise in the 86 World Series? No, all they know is they were the Champions in 1986 and that is how I feel about the 1972 DCA Championship.

Edited by cabalumsw

Frank, I looked them up and you (and the posts following yours) are correct.

I sit corrected (because I am too tired to stand)! The scariest part is that I may have been the one to write one or both of the articles in Drum Corps News.

Edited by K2SMA

Mr. Williams, while I no longer have any hard feelings towards what occurred 34 years ago, I DO however take exception to the claim that Cabs won that show knowing all that took place. While it is listed that the Cabs had the best score that evening for those of us who REALLY know what took place it is a hollow claim. I deeply enjoyed my competitive years against you guys, and have voiced on many an occasion that there have been a number of times when I've felt your boot placed firmly up my arse, on at least as many occasions I have had the pleasure of placing my boot firmly up your's.

At 20 years old and my second year with the Cabs, I really was not aware nor did I care about the politics in the back rooms. All I know is the score that was announced for the Cabs was the top score.

Penalty, who cares? Do the 1986 Mets care about Bill Buckner's glaring error that led to Boston's demise in the 86 World Series? No, all they know is they were the Champions in 1986 and that is how I feel about the 1972 DCA Championship.

Not the same. If the Mets won the series on a very bad ump call, I would agree. Unfortunately, the corps mentioned had nothing to do with the out-come. It was a bad call by one or two judges, depending on what you read.

I thought I was over this..Maybe not.

And you STILL have the naivete of a 20 year old. Just like a kid who is caring a bag of dope and refuses to admit that he is carrying until he is strip searched and the dope is found and he sits there and exclaims, "Gee, how did that get there?". And as proven by Mr. Cornwell you analogy is faulty and irrelavent, but that seems to be in keeping with the naivete of a 20 year old.