DCI going to support DCE

Smudge

From DCI.org and drumcorps.nl

After a period of decline in the 1990s, drum corps is reviving on the European continent again. Many corps in The Netherlands, Belgium and France are switching to the drum corps style or have plans to do so in the near future.

The new European drum corps organization Drum Corps Europe (founded in 2000) wants to help these corps in their attempt to become a part of the drum corps family.

2003 will be the year of the first outdoor drum corps competition on a

European scale. After two years of indoor competition in Europe (with more than 20 participating corps), Drum Corps Europe has decided to move outdoor in 2003. The Drum Corps Europe staff is looking forward to a great drum corps season, concluded by a great European Finals event on September 27. DCE also offers other drum corps events such as the DCE/Dynasty Mega Clinic on April 19 and 20, lead by top clinicians.

With the support from our partner organizations Drum Corps International, Dynasty USA, Percussion Projects, CBSD (Dutch band association) and NJF (the biggest youth music festival in The Netherlands), we are convinced that the European drum corps activity is facing a promising future of growth and prosperity. The DCE staff can't hardly wait for the summer season!

More information on Drum Corps Europe can be found on www.drumcorps.org.uk.

So what do you think about this?

Edited by ThA_dRum

I think it's great that DCI is gonna support DCE.

The drumcorps acivity is growing and becoming very big, not only in America but also in Europe, Japan, ...

Joining an American corps is hard if you come from Europe:

- much camps (plain tickets are very expensive)

- hard audition rules (you must do ALL the camps, especially in division 1)

- you must be one of the best...

Being one of the best isn't easy, now there are more and more bands who switch to corps-style,

but in the past they didn't.

So you had to learn allmost everything on your own,

many bands (still, here in Beligium) play everytime the same and learn only what THEY need en their music.

For the percussion (and brass to, but I know #### about brass cause I play percussion) it's hard to join a big corps cause

in these bands the percussion scores are to easy!

Now, with support of DCI, DCE can grow to a bigger activity and drumcorps will become more known in Europe.

THANK YOU DCI !

-Thomas

Am I missing something here?

I don't see anything about "DCI supporting DCE" anywhere in that press release. Posting this one DCE news item on the DCI website seems to be the full extent of the "support". I'm not criticizing here - just being realistic. How much "support" could DCI realistically provide to a European drum corps circuit, anyway? Besides, DCE seems to be making good progress from their own efforts. Here's hoping for more of the same!

Am I missing something here?

I don't see anything about "DCI supporting DCE" anywhere in that press release.

Don't know what substantive help DCI can be either, but the release DOES say "With the support from our partner organizations Drum Corps International..."

Mike

I've got an answer from Marco of DCE:

Het is wat lastig om daar nu al een gedetailleerd antwoord op te geven, aangezien er nog gesprekken met DCI volgen. Ik wil daar niet op vooruitlopen. Maar in z'n algemeenheid zou je kunnen denken aan ondersteuning door middel van bijvoorbeeld instructie, zoals workshops voor jury- en staffleden van bij DCE deelnemende verenigingen, dat soort zaken.

Marco

In "English":

It's hard to give an answer already, cause negotiations are still running. I'd say in general they will support by f.e. instruction, workshops for jury and staff members and the corps of DCE. Stuff like that.

Edited by ThA_dRum