Breathing Exercises

I need help with the band I teach...what are some excellent breathing exercises?

Hand to mouth is a great one! having your left hand open and to the side. Let's say we'll breath in for four and out for four, hand goes up in four counts and goes down in four counts. Never stops moving. As that is going on you concentrate on filling the lungs to full capacity in those four counts and breathing out in four counts.... change tempos as you wish, and beat counts. make sure the kids don't pass out!!! more to come......

Another I learned from my proffessor. Have your kids/students lay down on the ground, and have them just breathe normally. Then ask them to breathe musically (from the diaphram). have both hands to the side, and have them vision their body is hollow. have them exhale then as they breathe in SLOWLY vision them filling their bodies from the feet to the head, noting when they get to their knees and chest and such. Once they get to the head, have them release the air with control. and repeat. Great excersise to build breathes.

Edit: Important to note, do NOT let them jump right up after doing this exercise. they may pass out.

Edited by triplefunk

I was going to post that same link but you posted as i was writing mine. oh well. I guess that I could say, mikietuba is right. I've been doing this and teaching this for the last 3 years and it works wonders. This is not only one of the best investments I've made as a player but also as a teacher.

Edited by tubaribonephone

did any of you guys do breathing through a big piece of pvc pipe or toilet paper roll?

did any of you guys do breathing through a big piece of pvc pipe or toilet paper roll?

Yup, that is a great investment too! cheap

For a somewhat more saddistic approach - mix the pvc pipe in with your breathing gym exercises - particularly fun with the 'horror'

Honestly though, if you want a radically improved sound from day 1 - you can't beat the breathing gym.

Also, you can use tension building exercises - such as half valving, or wind pattern, or playing a very low difficult note, and then have the students play normally. It's great to use these exercises with their normal music, because it really brings it home.

Stress how just being able to play should be fun, a celebration as Pat puts it - I've found that it really turns on lightbulbs in their heads.