Alan Winslow, DCW Photographer, Passed Away Today

Bill_VA

All;

The word just came in that Alan Winslow, long time DCW photographer, died this evening after a long battle with cancer. He was at the 2006 DCA World Championship but went into the hospital when he returned to San Antonio. No other information is yet available but will be posted as soon as services are arranged.

After a long relationship that goes back to the mid 60's, I'm so glad that we were able to sit for some time together at DCA in what I suspected at the time was a "goodbye" from Alan... rather than our usual conversations about drum corps, he talked of his family and dwelled on how much he enjoyed playing with my babies back in the 70's...

I will always treasure the great pictures he took of the 3 of them - he was our "family" photographer back then...

A very strong baritone player, he was an alumnus of Brigadiers, Crusaders, Empire, Mighty St. Joe's (yes, part of the "over the hill" gang with Allard) - and several smaller corps in his native Corning. NY Area, I believe including the Seneca Chiefs - he has been a visual judge for many years in Texas.

I used his photos often in PR for DCA. While not a professional photographer, his drum corps and visual savvy often allowed him to catch more than his share of "great" moments on the field.

eternal rest old friend... say hello to Vince you "porkchop"

Very sad news. Originally not planning to attend, Alan called a few days before and was excited his doctor had suggested he make the trip. It was so important for him to be back in Rochester for another championship, and to share in the continuing legacy built by his friend and mentor, Vince Bruni.

On behalf of Drum Corps Associates, I thank Alan for his many contributions to our activity over the years and send our sympathy to his family and friends.

Guess that " big drum corps in the sky " is about to receive some excellent images.

My wife and I had the privilege to meet Mr. Winslow while waiting for our return flight in the Buffalo airport. He spoke about his involvement in DCA and mentioned that he had done photographic work for DCA in the past. I would like to wish Mr. Winslow's family and friends my condolences for their loss. Mr. Winslow was a very sincere and caring person from our short meeting.

I'll always remember Allen from '71 St. Joes, early-mid '70s CRU years and late '70s Lockport years. RIP old buddy!

I don't know what to say except that I am very sad and yet I am glad that Alan is no longer suffering.

I first met Alan back in 1993 at the Battle of Bands during San Antonio's Fiesta. He was on the sidelines at Alamo Stadium taking pictures. Somehow I was introduced to him and we started talking about drum corps. Since he knew I had a drum corps background he asked if I would be interested in judging some marching band contests for him in San Antonio and Austin. He also introduced me to senior corps for the first time and gave me a recording of '94 DCA Championships. He almost conviced me to march with the Empire Statesmen in '96.

He will be truly missed.

And yes, as soon as anyone knows the details about the funeral please email me at TheAustinStars@gmail.com

The services are Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, 9/26 & 27, at

Porter Loring Funeral Home, which is located at 1101 McCullough

Avenue, San Antonio, Texas, 78212. Their phone number is 210-227-8221.

Per Steve Vickers

Thank you for this sad news Bill. We knew that Alan had been ill, but were unaware of the seriousness of his condition.

Speaking for the Hall of Fame, our condolences are extended to all of Alan's family and friends.

All;

The word just came in that Alan Winslow, long time DCW photographer, died this evening after a long battle with cancer. He was at the 2006 DCA World Championship but went into the hospital when he returned to San Antonio. No other information is yet available but will be posted as soon as services are arranged.