Bugles VS Trumpets

LSU GRAD 82

The reason the Marines play on only two-valve horns has nothing to do with tradition. It has to do with their TO&E (Table of Organization & Equipment). The TO&E dictates what kind of equipment they are allowed to buy and when, and theirs specifies 2-valve bugles. Amending their TO&E is a very difficult thing to do, so they haven't bothered.

What I heard was the only thing keeping the drum corps alive was the 2 valve bugles. They don't want to go to 3 valves because the similarities to the band's instruments are too close leading a decision to be made to merge the two and eliminate the drum corps, as Elphaba eluded to, which means I'm not the only one that heard that story :tongue:

• Like 1

What I heard was the only thing keeping the drum corps alive was the 2 valve bugles. They don't want to go to 3 valves because the similarities to the band's instruments are too close leading a decision to be made to merge the two and eliminate the drum corps, as Elphaba eluded to, which means I'm not the only one that heard that story :tongue:

That's probably a contributing factor as to why they haven't made an effort to change the TO&E. Anyone who's dealt with a military unit's supply chain know what I'm talking about.

That and the fact Truman Crawford put hit foot down about it. Ya, they will be on 2 valve bugles for a long time. Good for them.