Bugles VS Trumpets

LSU GRAD 82

Can some of you tell me why most of the top corps have switched to trumpets. What prompted the change? What was wrong with Bugles? ( I'm a drummer )

Can some of you tell me why most of the top corps have switched to trumpets. What prompted the change? What was wrong with Bugles? ( I'm a drummer )

the subject is a can of worms to some.

corps used to play bugles (assorted configurations) in the key of G. Then the rules changed so they could play "any key" instruments which means Bb and F. So then all the corps switched to marching band instruments and away from G bugles.

advantage: Trumpets are easy to come by, they are in Bb, and they have good intonation and the instruments tend to be better quality.

disadvantage: the sound is too directional and too bright. the quality of a good G bugle is still not as good as a lower-end professional trumpet.

the subject is a can of worms to some.

corps used to play bugles (assorted configurations) in the key of G. Then the rules changed so they could play "any key" instruments which means Bb and F. So then all the corps switched to marching band instruments and away from G bugles.

advantage: Trumpets are easy to come by, they are in Bb, and they have good intonation and the instruments tend to be better quality.

disadvantage: the sound is too directional and too bright. the quality of a good G bugle is still not as good as a lower-end professional trumpet.

I don't know. All those Drum and BUGLE Corps sounded pretty good to my ear. This is not marching Symphony/Wind Ensemble. Or, is it?

I don't know. All those Drum and BUGLE Corps sounded pretty good to my ear. This is not marching Symphony/Wind Ensemble. Or, is it?

Really, don't even go there.

For some odd reason, modern corps have sought to toss tradition aside and go with trumpets. Now, with that accomplished those same folk are trying to get aluminum bats in major league baseball. Nothing is sacred to them.

the upside: trumpets are better made, play better, and have higher resale value.

the downside: most trumpets are built for indoor use and don't have the same amplification and projection as the bugle.

the compromise: the standard trumpet could probably be modified so that it is more suitable for outdoor use. I imagine this would mostly involve changing the size and taper of the bell.

Really, don't even go there.

For some odd reason, modern corps have sought to toss tradition aside and go with trumpets. Now, with that accomplished those same folk are trying to get aluminum bats in major league baseball. Nothing is sacred to them.

Not trying to "stir the puddin'" as it were, but that's not really a good analogy, seeing that more and more baseball people are pushing for wood bats in the younger age groups (I'm not a "baseball person," but I'm all for it). You'll never, ever, see metal bats in the bigs. Wasn't economics one of the main reasons for the change? I'll stop there.

Not trying to "stir the puddin'" as it were, but that's not really a good analogy, seeing that more and more baseball people are pushing for wood bats in the younger age groups (I'm not a "baseball person," but I'm all for it). You'll never, ever, see metal bats in the bigs. Wasn't economics one of the main reasons for the change? I'll stop there.

I wasn't going for an analogy, just humor. I don't really know why metal bats aren't used in the major leagues other than the tradition of the wooden bat.

Using bugles was just a tradition also. It would be nice if it stayed that way to keep the activity unique, but I guess there's no reason why even sackbuts and cornettos aren't viable for corps these days or even the electronic Yamaha wind machines.

Edited by Martybucs

It all came down to free horns. <**>

It all came down to free horns. <**>

"Free Horns":

This actually is a really GOOD reason for the bailout by the "Biggies" from "G" to "Bb". We agree with the "Lack of projection" opinions offered. The "Trumpets & Tubas" were never designed for a "Stadium Environment".

You can mess with them all you want. The SOUND and the PERSONALITY of the "G" hornlones will never be equaled by the "Any Key" efforts.

Elphaba

• Like 1

"Free Horns":

This actually is a really GOOD reason for the bailout by the "Biggies" from "G" to "Bb". We agree with the "Lack of projection" opinions offered. The "Trumpets & Tubas" were never designed for a "Stadium Environment".

You can mess with them all you want. The SOUND and the PERSONALITY of the "G" hornlones will never be equaled by the "Any Key" efforts.

Elphaba

It was always about free horns. I didn't want to say so before because i tried to answer the drummer's question.

but its true. yamaha wanted to sell marching brass. the best way to market it was to give away entire sets of horns to corps in exchange for votes on rules changes, yamaha rewarded those corps with free horns. lots of bands look up to corps and they'll want to play what the big boys are playing on.

look at DCI now, barely any Kings or Kanstuls. theres corps playing dy-NASTY but i'm sure it wasnt their first choice but they got a great discount. its all about marketing and not about the quality.