I wish there was a SPTDBCA

Martybucs - I understand completely what you're saying here and feel your pain.

Unfortunately, the world has changed, drum corps has changed, and despite its "evolution" the activity HAS lost its roots, its traditions and HAS become more "bandlike" - though bands are also more "corpslike" so there you have it!

Drum corps IS different now and will never go back, so with far fewer corps today and a much more "elitist" DCI seeming to "prefer" the fewer corps who always make finals each year, I guess this is what DCI's "vision" of drum corps was and is.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it won't happen, but let us reminisce, will ya? and I don't want to reenact with 1 valve bugles either. I liked the aspect of coming onto the field without tractors and people milling around dropping bundles of equipment and a straight military salute, not some convoluted gyration and 20 percussionists in my face. Thats all I'm sayin.

Jim, I have heard old recordings of everything from the original bugles (no valves) up through single-valve and p/r horns. The sound was, shall we say, interesting. Raw, one might even say. But the accomplishments of corps of the '30s, '40s, '50s, and so on are amazing given the equipment they had to work with.

Oldest I have heard is late 1940s (pre-slide usage) and total agreement on "amazing given the equipment". Must be because our initials are the same... :P

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

of course it won't happen, but let us reminisce, will ya? and I don't want to reenact with 1 valve bugles either. I liked the aspect of coming onto the field without tractors and people milling around dropping bundles of equipment and a straight military salute, not some convoluted gyration and 20 percussionists in my face. Thats all I'm sayin.

That's cool.

I kinda liked my valve and rotor Olds Ultratone, though. Never cared for two valves, but like my 3 valve DEG.

Piston/slide - forget it.

I couldn't go on the field again either, but I'd be willing to help a traditional style corps do it.

"Torn to shreads" Why? You have a valid point.

:doh:

sorry i hang around a lot in the Current Events (a/k/a Politics) forum here. i'm used to being torn to shreads for having an opinion that may waiver from the status quo. :P

thanks for being more open to listening to other opinions. REALLY :)

:doh:

sorry i hang around a lot in the Current Events (a/k/a Politics) forum here. i'm used to being torn to shreads for having an opinion that may waiver from the status quo. :P

thanks for being more open to listening to other opinions. REALLY :)

That's because he played a piston/rotor Olds, it does things to people. :doh:

I played the P/R Olds Duratone (frosted/flat finish). My favorite horn :)

Not sure this is ON TOPIC but I find it kind of amazing, if not unusual or strange, that age out's (as they are refered to) don't migrate to AA Corps'. Not saying that they all don't but it appears to me that the majority don't. Are they burned out? What?

Not sure this is ON TOPIC but I find it kind of amazing, if not unusual or strange, that age out's (as they are refered to) don't migrate to AA Corps'. Not saying that they all don't but it appears to me that the majority don't. Are they burned out? What?

I think a lot are music majors and are partly marching for CV reasons, (it looks good on their resume).

Then they age out and have the common gall to get a life! :)

For us Drum Corps is life or was a big part of our lives and we can't let it go. Which is good, because my point is that I think the traditional drum corps is gone and it wasn't so much about the show and the audience. This may also pertain to DCA and DCI, but for them I think it is a little different. I don't think they spend the time together that we all spent together.

We were all neighborhood friends, or at least from the same area and we were together almost all the spare time we had, all year round.

Traditional corps had such a long honored tradition with so few changes for so many years. The instruments changed a little, but the show was the same and it had the feel of history about it, proud history.

Sometimes burnout is the case. Heck, it took me 4 years before I decided to march again. I knew about all-age corps because of DCM, as well as Toledo appearances by the Empire Statesmen, but I wasn't ready to march again after aging out.

Kevin - great point re the "burn out" thing!

There are also many people who marched drum corps for whatever reasons, then their lives, goals, dreams changed and like me, jobs/work/profession made it impossible to march or even follow drum corps ever again!

And I think many at DCP are in my boat - we did drum corps, we worked hard, we loved it, we sweated and paid the price, then we moved on with our lives and did other things - but I also think that those of us who "did other things" still have something to contribute to DCP and the drum corps activity in general!

.......must be why knuckleheads like me still post here!!!