DCI Bonus Year

nezneau

24 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Bonus Year

• -yes
    • -no

Would the intent of this be to build bigger corps "in Europe", or create a Yamato-like unit, assembling a European half and a North American half to compete exclusively on the DCI tour?

The intent is to eventually build corps in Europe that are on the same competitive level as DCI's Div I. They would be based in Europe. They would rehearse and perform in Europe but pick up part of the North American tour and finish the season at DCI championships.

The other part of this if for North American players to get the experience of living, touring, performing in Europe as well as for the European kids to have a similar in North America.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the point is to build better corps in Europe, shouldn't we be spending more time in teaching them how to raise funds, recruit more members, and design more competitive shows? Some of those corps are incredible and would fair well in DCI II/III or the lower tier of Division I... But I can't see how sending members to Europe would make a bigger impact than helping the organizations grow stronger based on local talent.

Well if the point is to build better corps in Europe, shouldn't we be spending more time in teaching them how to raise funds, recruit more members, and design more competitive shows?  Some of those corps are incredible and would fair well in DCI II/III or the lower tier of Division I...  But I can't see how sending members to Europe would make a bigger impact than helping the organizations grow stronger based on local talent.

I agree with that, but it's just that in Europe DC is not so popular as it is in the states. So I think European won't develop that well. But it would be very cool that US supports European AND other international DC. I think that's is a "task" of DCI, if they really are international.

Edited by ThA_dRum

But it would be very cool that US supports European AND other international DC. I think that's is a "task" of DCI, if they really are international.

Precisely..

Look, if a man wants to eat.. you can either give him fish .. or teach him to fish for himself.

Allowing DCI ageouts to go for ONE YEAR (and not build a history with a corps) creates a revolving door of fish.. and there's no guarantee that one fish is as good as the last.. or the next..

Helping them develop their circuits.. train them how to recruit.. design shows.. etc.. that's teaching them to fish.

• 1 month later...
Well if the point is to build better corps in Europe, shouldn't we be spending more time in teaching them how to raise funds, recruit more members, and design more competitive shows? Some of those corps are incredible and would fair well in DCI II/III or the lower tier of Division I... But I can't see how sending members to Europe would make a bigger impact than helping the organizations grow stronger based on local talent.

You are right!

In Germany the szene is very difficult. There are ~5 reall corps and several corps style bands.

The corps will NEVER reach 135 members. Most corps struggle to get 20 - 25 brass players on the field.

So average size is 45- 55 members on the field.

Starriders is since several years the leading corps. Some corps catch up, but still there is a different.

One big issue it that most of our arranger and designer are from the US and Canada. And work for several years with the corps. The relationship between the arranger/designer becomes more than a friendship than a contract. They love the corps and they support us the very very best. They come over 2,3,4 times a year and bring us the DCI spirit, technology and motivation. Every camp with them is a kick and pushs the corps further.

Also Starriders push people to march DCI or DCA, even if they are 1 or 2 members less for that season, but they know they get it 5 times back. This year it seems that 2 members will march with the Syracuse Brigadiers (yehhh, tomorrow is the flight b**bs ).

We were the host of the Madison Scouts in 1988 and the host of the Blue Devils in 2000. And if Cadets and/or BD come in 2004 to germany, there is one place to stay, when they want to stay with a corps - that's Starriders from Bad Münder.

Starriders dream is to tour for 2-3 weeks within the DCI/DCA ciruit, but the financial possibilities are tuff to manage such a tour.

To finish it: Starriders are always open to people of any age, who want to march in Germany. You are in army in Germany. Fine give us a call. You move from somewhere in the world to Germany. Fine, give us a call/ email.

You are in Germany and want to spend some days with corps people, fine. Come to us, having a good soda (beer) and let's talk some Drum Corps.

As well,

IMO -- I love drum corps.

But #### -- that's a long way to go for another year of junior corps.

At what point do you get a life? I mean -- one year isn't really going to make that much difference to someone, especially if they have to go march in europe to use it. One year in their North American corps is another story.

To me there just isn't much point in it. I mean, I suspect that very few people would actually go to Europe to march one more year of corps, after they have already gone through the joys and sorrow's of ageing out in North America.

• 5 months later...

Any North American ageouts reading this and considering marching in Europe...2 words,,DO IT!

Whether its Holland, the UK or Germany....take it from a drum corps guy that has lived in Europe a number of times...

-you will meet GREAT people

-you will see sights and things you never thought possible

-it will change your life

I would LOVE to see our 22 year olds taking a year in Europe!

Mike Dempsey

This is an very interesting threat and here are some of my thoughts about this.

Yes, Drum Corps isn't very pupular in Europe. The szene in the US is bigger but it's still a minority. Ask "Peter", "Paul" and "Marie" on the streets of New York, Bosten, Houston or Miami if they know Drum Corps. Are you shure you will get big numbers?

The szene in Europe is growing slowly but continually. In Germany we had a break of 10 years with no circuit. Last year we had our first DCG season. This year the number of corps marching show increased and for next season we plan a season with 4 contests, semis and finals. Also the numbers of corps increase year by year.

Also the quality level increase. Most corps have already support from DCI/ DCA staff or former staff. Starriders show is written by Garreth Skipp drill designer of the Patriots. Brass book is written by Dave Hill and Percussion is written by Robb Muller (Brigdemen, Brass Theatre, MBI, etc.). We have several members who has marched DCI or DCA.

For a german member it's very difficult to march a DCI season. We just have a 6 week summer break in school. So there will be a conflict with move-in/ tour schedule. Also it's a question of money. Flying in from Europe for the camp is a really big amount of money. But several kids do this and have the time of their live.

US/ Canada Drum Corps people marching in Europe. Well dream on. In the 20 year history of the Starriders we had 1 girl marching in 1988 (1989 she marched Cadets - here name was Shannon and she was an exchange student from Canada) and one guy from Madison Scouts who fall in love with a Starriders sopran and during their tour in 1988 and came back to live in Germany since 89. That's it!

So it seems to be unintesting to march here for someone who had the big expierience of DCI. Seems so!

I would love to have more exchange between DCI/ DCA, their organisation and corps and european orgas and corps.

If someone is interested in more. Just contact me. Kids moving with their parents to Germany and want march. They are welcome. Adults want to grap a horn/ drum/ flag - they are welcome.

Even if they are just on vacation. Drop a line, show up, have a cold beer and let's talk some Drum Corps.

Ok that's it!