Flag tosses

Malibu, I remember those telescoping poles, too. I never used one but I well remember the flag line struggling with them.

And while we're on the subject of such things, what about changing silks?? Today it's done by simply picking up a whole new flag -- pole and all, but once upon a time we actually took one flag off the pole and put a new one on or else, used a sleeve over one end of the pole which, when removed, revealed a new silk.

Bridgemen used those poles too and for some odd reason our staff thought it would be cool for us to use them as well. I kind of wished they had asked us first. :laugh:

Yes, I remember seeing Phantom in 1978 when they "popped" out all those yellow flags out of know where! The crowd went nuts! From what I understand, Zingali had an invention with a pulley inside the flag pole that you could pull out a different flag. His members told him he should have gotten a patten on that idea.

We used a black sleeve over our rainbow flag in our 1981 show. At one point slid the sleeve up and expose a double flag, then slid it down for a single flag effect.

I know I used that concept working for a high school that was on a low budget. Instead of going to the sideline to switch poles, I would have the members simply take off the flag to reveal another under neath it.

You would be surprised how many guards today do not know about that simple trick from way back when. :P

I saw a guard do it and all the kids were like it was the best thing since slice bread!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, Zingali had an invention with a pulley inside the flag pole that you could pull out a different flag. His members told him he should have gotten a patten on that idea.

The pulleys were first used in 1975 to convert from single to double silks (identical silks).

The two silks were always "exposed" at the top of the flag (watch the DCI videos carefully to see this). The pulley system brought the second silk from one end of the pole to the other, creating the "Double Silk".

Edited by A27Lancer

Now I have to get the 1980 DVD to see Crossmen and those telescopic poles. (my collection starts with the 1982 DVD)

I was lucky as we pretty much had standard poles and flags throughout my DCI days - with the exception of those long flexible poles with humongous flags on them that we all seemed to be using to end our shows with in the '80's. You just couldn't control them at all.

I also heard a rumor that Guardsmen were the first to do a 360 - anyone know if that one is true?

Malibu - it is funny to see the kids I teach today who are amazed at double time or rifle or 360's under a parallel toss!!!!

Later,

Mike

I also heard a rumor that Guardsmen were the first to do a 360 - anyone know if that one is true?

Malibu - it is funny to see the kids I teach today who are amazed at double time or rifle or 360's under a parallel toss!!!!

Later,

Mike

Not sure about the 360, but I have PMed LancerFi so she can chime in here and give her 27¢. :P

I know, today it seems most of the fundamentals we all took for granted back then like double time or double fast are far and few. However, I did judge an independent guard a few years ago that did just that. The kids in the audience went wild! They thought they were witnessing something new on rifle! :P

The pulleys were first used in 1975 to convert from single to double silks (identical silks).

The two silks were always "exposed" at the top of the flag (watch the DCI videos carefully to see this). The pulley system brought the second silk from one end of the pole to the other, creating the "Double Silk".

Yep, the invention of the double silk! :laugh:

I know for a fact (I was there) that the Racine Scouts did flag tosses and head choppers in 1966 with six foot aluminum pike and pointed ends.

Top that

PS no injuries.

When you say flag toss, was it a full rotation or half of one? I would love to see the video or a picture.....not that I don't believe you, but I like having visual proof to back me up when the conversation comes up again.

Tossing a pole with a spike- man we were really playing with our life back in those days.

Remember when instructors used to say "Hey try tossing it, do a triple turn under it and catch it under your leg with your eyes closed in a wind tunnel" and we'd actually say "OK" :P

Later,

Mike

Tossing a pole with a spike- man we were really playing with our life back in those days.

Remember when instructors used to say "Hey try tossing it, do a triple turn under it and catch it under your leg with your eyes closed in a wind tunnel" and we'd actually say "OK" :P

Later,

Mike

Head choppers and "leg" choppers - wow. I remember those. 27th's maces did a fake hop over the mace in 78. The illusion was that they did like a jump rope once over the mace, but they actually let go for a split second (again, see video). Almost definitely not the first guard to do this. I remember numerous winter guards (St. Anthony's Everett, among them) doing this.

Later,

Mike

Ya know we did have a move similar to that but it was taken out. Where you tossed the flag (out of your right hand) and caught it with your right leg. We used the left hand to support the pole end on the catch. It was kind of cool, but one of those 50/50 moves where many members couldn't do it consistently. :laugh: