DCJ Hachioji Open

Eddie

As drum corps fans around the world anticipate the arrival of their summer media and other memorabilia, drum corps in Japan are anticipating what is to become at the 2007 Drum Corps Japan (DCJ) Championships in January. Continuing on the season as January approaches, the Pride of Soka Drum & Bugle Corps (or better known as the Royal Kilties in the US of A) will be hosting their annual Hachioji Open at Soka University in Tokyo on Saturday, December 23rd. Six drum and bugle corps from around Japan's Kanto Region will be in competition, including the Yokohama Scouts (2006 DCJ Champions, 2006 Marching in Okayama Champions), the Yokohama Inspires (2006 Japan Cup Champions, 2006 Tokyo Open Champions), Tokyo Phoenix, The Pride of Soka, Tokyo Cherry Blossoms, and the Sonic Lancers, with a guest exhibition appearance by the Soka Renaissance Vanguard (2006 Kanto Regional Grand Prix Champions). This is the final DCJ competition before the 2007 Championships in Yokohama in January.

date & time:

Dec. 23, 2006 (Sat.), doors open at 1:30, step off at 2:00

Soka University Central Gymnasium

1-236 Tangimachi, Hachioji City, Tokyo

Access:

20 minutes by Bus #10 from JR Hachioji Station's North Exit

Sponsor:

Drum Corps Japan (DCJ)

Host:

DCJ Hachioji Open Executive Committee

Ticket:

Advance - 1500 yen, Door - 2000 yen

Edited by bari_benzo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As drum corps fans around the world anticipate the arrival of their summer media and other memorabilia, drum corps in Japan are anticipating what is to become at the 2007 Drum Corps Japan (DCJ) Championships in January. Continuing on the season as January approaches, the Pride of Soka Drum & Bugle Corps (or better known as the Royal Kilties in the US of A) will be hosting their annual Hachioji Open at Soka University in Tokyo on Saturday, December 23rd. Six drum and bugle corps from around Japan's Kanto Region will be in competition, including the Yokohama Scouts (2006 DCJ Champions, 2006 Marching in Okayama Champions), the Yokohama Inspires (2006 Japan Cup Champions, 2006 Tokyo Open Champions), Tokyo Phoenix, The Pride of Soka, Tokyo Cherry Blossoms, and the Sonic Lancers, with a guest exhibition appearance by the Soka Renaissance Vanguard (2006 Kanto Regional Grand Prix Champions). This is the final DCJ competition before the 2007 Championships in Yokohama in January.

date & time:

Dec. 23, 2006 (Sat.), doors open at 1:30, step off at 2:00

Soka University Central Gymnasium

1-236 Tangimachi, Hachioji City, Tokyo

Access:

20 minutes by Bus #10 from JR Hachioji Station's North Exit

Sponsor:

Drum Corps Japan (DCJ)

Host:

DCJ Hachioji Open Executive Committee

Ticket:

Advance - 1500 yen, Door - 2000 yen

Seriously, Eddie, if DCJ doesn't have a publicist, you should apply for the job. I wouldn't know a thing about what's happening in the Japanese drum corps activity if it wasn't for you.

Seriously, Eddie, if DCJ doesn't have a publicist, you should apply for the job. I wouldn't know a thing about what's happening in the Japanese drum corps activity if it wasn't for you.

Marching is a big a deal to great number of folks in Japan. And, I think there is a fair amount of publicity. Fluency in Japanese is necessary on that note... Thank god for my OTAKU friends. :blink:

Marching is a big a deal to great number of folks in Japan. And, I think there is a fair amount of publicity. Fluency in Japanese is necessary on that note... Thank god for my OTAKU friends. :blink:

Then Eddie should be the publicist for spreading the word outside of Japan. :D

I check the DCJ website daily for news to post on the DCP front page, but there is a question of translation. I use Yahoo's Babelfish website and figure out the English grammar and context based on the results. Maybe I should start bugging some of the posters here.

I think if anything, more people need to be aware of the growing DCJ scene.

If the Inspires decided to come over with "M", a lot of heads would have turned at DCA... ^0^

Not just turned, but blown completely off. ^0^

Marching is a big a deal to great number of folks in Japan. And, I think there is a fair amount of publicity. Fluency in Japanese is necessary on that note... Thank god for my OTAKU friends. :laugh:

Actually, there really isn't all that much publicity for DCJ outside the corps themselves and the website. Most of the time, I only know about an event a week before it happens because we have to be told where and when to meet on that day.

The marching activity here seems to be somewhat at a stale mate. There seems to be new groups popping up, but they aren't growing, and there seems to be a similar number going down. Many new groups are staying away from the competitive arena. The ones that have been successful competitively have been so for many many years.

DCJ itself hasn't grown much, and might have shrunk a little. Bob Lancy (DCW writer) was telling me that he was talking to Inspire's director, and he was saying that DCJ might have to allow Bb and F horns into the arena in the next couple years if DCJ wants to grow any. G horns here are becoming expensive and hard to find, and new groups are spending money on the Bb/F horns. DCJ still kicks ### however B)

heh... I'm actually enjoying the freelance arena. I so need to work on my writing skills before applying for any such jobs, however :laugh:

I think if anything, more people need to be aware of the growing DCJ scene.

If the Inspires decided to come over with "M", a lot of heads would have turned at DCA... ^0^

I don't think the Inspires are comeing to the states anytime soon, but the Scouts are planning a trip to DCI next year. After I confirm this with the director I will include more information.

DCJ might have to allow Bb and F horns into the arena in the next couple years if DCJ wants to grow any.

I never thought I would see DCJ consider multi-key brass. They were always hard-corps G bugle believers.