I have an idea...

I'm with a new program that's taking our time (on purpose) getting started. I have some grant writing experience/fundraising experience. I am looking at funding options pretty frequently. Lots of times I see foundations that don't support programs in our geographical area (PA). I'd love to have a place on DCP where we can post funding options we have found. My feeling is that if I can't get the money, I want another drum corps to get it. I'm not offering to write it for you, but to show you where to look.

If you find something of interest... PLEASE post! It can only help all of us!

Maybe you can share success stories of things that went well and others that you stay away from.

We all want to do something to help the corps we all love. There is so much money out there that doesn't get handed out because people don't even know it's there.

Thanks for reading!

Chalet

Brilliant!

Ok, here's something I learned that was really helpful...

Out here in PA, they are becoming really particular on healthy food in schools, etc. to avoid having overweight kids. For example, the kids can't buy soda or junk food at vending machines during the school day - they are on timers.

Anyway, when you write your grant, USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

Drum corps is exercise. I challenge you to find an obese person in junior corps. Watch DCI from 93 when they hook the tenor player up to the equipment that says his body is similar to that of a marathon runner. Also talk about the healthy food that you feed them (don't lie....you need to be doing this.....lol).

Play it up that your kids will go home with better eating/exercise habits. It's also easy to use as a measurable objective and easy to evaluate (just weigh the members at the beginning and various times during the season. You can also record resting heart rates, etc). You could also check on your members while they are home to see if they've maintained their healthy lifestyle.

If you don't know, grants generally require that you evaluate your program at the beginning and the end, and sometimes during your program. You will need to report your findings to the funder. Sometimes they give you a questionnaire, sometimes you file a report with them. Sure it's more work, but if you get a check for $10,000 - I'd say that's worth it.... I'll take paperwork over tons of fundraisers/carwashes/spaghetti dinners, etc...

Anyone else have any success stories, questions, ideas they'd like to share? I know there are some corps administrators/volunteers that are on here. Any input?

Thanks!

CHalet

Great topic Chalet and thanks for the input. Being a new corps we definately will be researching grant wrting and such. I hope we can find one because I know that it's a lot of work, but anyone out there with the time to do the writing, we'll do the research to find out where the grant money is.

As we research some things Chalet, I'd be happy to post anything worthwhile.

Happy New Year and Have a great season!!!

Thanks Holly!

Best of luck to you and your venture. Hopefully all of the dust settles and everyone can thrive.

If you go to the foundationcenter.org, click on locations(up top), click on cooperating collections and then you can search your state for libraries that have the software for grant research. The library in Poughkepsie (sp) has it. From there you can see who the funders are, what they like to fund, how much they've given others, when to write to them, how to write to them, etc.... Most people don't know that this even exists. There is so much money out there, you just have to take the time to look into it. For example, in our little town of York (which is really philanthropic), there are 11 foundations that fund arts programs. I've written to one successfully and got $850. It only took about 2 hours worth of work once I had all of my info gathered. Granted, once you get grant money, you have to spend it the way they tell you to. You can't just take your money and go buy uniforms, horns, etc if they tell you it's for general operating expenses. You guys are new, so you can go for seed money programs. Foundations like to get involved with brand new progams. They also like it if you are collaborating with another organization. You will want to search for funders in the area where the corps is located. If you get a large pool of people from a specific area, I would try searching funders in that area as well. You never know, there might be a local foundation that may help with transportation costs to get the local folks there...

Hope all goes well! I have a sample grant that I wrote for my class. I can send it to you if you want. A full grant proposal is long. Sometimes it has to be shortened per the funders request. My proposal was based on a fully functioning dii/iii corps. Let me know and I can send it to you. I got an A in the class, so the quality is good... lol :)

What are some good internet search engines to look for available grants??

www.foundationcenter.org is the best place I've found. Now, it costs money to search through their website (to get the best info). But if you go to locations (on the top), then cooperating collections, then choose your state, you can find a library that has the software. You can then go and search on your own at the library. In my town, it's free. Your library, if listed, will also have books that list all of the grant info. There is a search available for free on this site, but all it gives you is the name of the funder and their contact info. If you go to the library, you will get info like who they fund (whether they fund arts, or medical, etc), how much they give on average (so you know how much to ask for), when they give (they will tell you if you should send a full proposal or just a beginning letter, and when they are due by), if they are accepting applications (some funders only fund specific programs, like a scholarship fund or a school they graduated from....don't waste your time applying to them).

You can also go to grants.gov for government grants, but beware... Anything you buy with a grant from the US Govt becomes their property and they can take it back whenever they want to. If you write a gvt grant, do so specifically for expendible items (like food, gas, drum heads, etc.) It would suck if just before tour the gvt decides it wants your horns back....you would have to give them back.

Hope this helps...

Chalet