The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

As both a BOA and DCI fan, I think we have to seriously consider allowing the inclusion of woodwinds into drum corps.

First of all, the most important benefit of allowing woodwinds is to expand the activity to more people. Drum corps requires a huge commitment as it is, but learning a new instrument is something that shuts out more kids. To become a brass player in a Division I corps, it takes a year of learning the instrument, plus another year of either a DCA or Div II group. Not that there’s anything bad about doing this, but not many are willing to put in two years of learning a new instrument, dishing out money for lessons, not to mention the money and experience they may lose when they decide to devote every summer until they’re 22 for just that one shot at a Div I.

For me, I’m a woodwind who wants to switch over for brass. I’m 19, so there isn’t much time left. There also isn’t much to find in the northeast. The only Div I corps I can attempt is The Cadets (since the Boston Crusaders are really a Florida corps). For an experienced brass player, the Cadets can be difficult to make, but I need to spend extra time, money, and energy to learn the instrument so I can just have that attempt for one summer. I’m sure most kids aren’t willing to go through that (heck, I don’t even know if I’m up to it yet).

We need more people involved in drum corps. Isn’t it really about “the kids”? If it is, why do you choose to limit the opportunity to only brass players? Imagine if the numbers doubled at audition camps. Wouldn’t this also create the need for more corps, something that I’ve seen a lot of disappointment about on these forums? We’re pushing kids away from the drum corps experience because people who have had the experience don’t want to see their precious art form “ruined”. In my opinion, the experience is greater than the show you are performing in.

More people involved = most support for DCI = :)

Secondly, look at the show design. I know that to us, the corps all have different styles and trademarks and ideas, but to the common viewer…don’t they seem the same? If we don’t allow woodwinds (or amps, etc.), how are we going to make shows different over the next five, ten, fifteen years and beyond? Sorry percussion players, but are there any drum solos that we haven’t heard over the past 30 years? Don’t all the initial brass impacts for the corps kinda sound the same? I really love it, but when every corps does it, I could see designs getting stale over the next ten years.

There seems to be a fear on these boards when it comes to adding woodwinds to drum corps. The typical response is sarcastic or shallow – “I’ll die when they add woodwinds to drum corps”. Don’t lie to yourself – you know you’ll all come back when they add woodwinds. Drum corps fans are extremely committed to the activity…for all the talk of giving it up forever, I doubt you’ll leave the stands empty when DCI comes to your area. Fans of sports always make these claims whenever their sport goes on a strike or when a star player is rumored to be traded, yet they always come back. We can’t get away from the activity.

“That’s band”. Honestly, who cares? Drum corps is marching band. It’s at an extremely high level of performance and is the best we have at this point, but it’s still just marching band. Most of you probably have negative views on band because for every great band, there are hundreds that display their stereotype of high school bands. If you’re in a high-level band, however, you’ll notice the benefits woodwinds can provide. YouTube “Ronald Reagan 2003” and you’ll see what amps and woodwinds can do for a marching show.

Not every show will be typical BOA. I think we should allow amps/voice/woodwinds, but this year BOA went over the edge with it. There were way too many woodwind solos and just…weird voiceovers. The shows made the Cadets 06 look traditional.

Yet I don’t think DCI has to turn out this way. It goes overlooked that BOA has an incredible 60% of the score go to General Effect, so most schools go straight to the gimmicky stuff that does well there. I don’t think that will happen in DCI because the performers play at a much higher level, reducing the need to take up 2 minutes of a show with a solo. Besides, as we’ve seen this summer, if fans really don’t like a show, it won’t do well. If we allow woodwinds, it doesn’t mean that the fans have no input as the shows spiral out of control. Corps aren’t going to willingly decide to produce boring shows. Also, the schedules for BOA and DCI are radically different, another reason why I don’t think DCI will turn into what BOA has become.

So this is why I believe we need to include woodwinds in drum corps. This should no longer be an idea for future decades, but is something that should be proposed and passed in the near future.

Why can't those drum corps that want woodwinds in drum corps, go join BOA !!

There have been a number of changes that I don't like in the past five years and I am only one person but if woodwinds enter the drum corps scene I will no longer support DRUM & TRUMPET CORPS. It's bad enough that trumpets were allowed but I stop supporting drum corps when they are called drum corps when all they are are glorified MARCHING BANDS. :music:

What about the unique sounds that you get by just using brass and percussion? Isn't it worth preserving something unique?

I think it is.

Adding woodwinds would change the "sound" of drum corps. Brass lines would have to play differently. It wouldn't be the same performance.

Why can't those drum corps that want woodwinds in drum corps, go join BOA !!

BOA is a HS band organization that runs it's shows in the fall. Nothing remotely like the summer drum corps activity in concept.

The wonderful original post is on the money...drum corps is high level marching band w/o WW. Adding them is not a big deal and will be a great addition in the long run.

Look... I'm about as "new school" as it comes. I am a product of newer drum corps, I am pro amp, and all and all, I generally favor rules that give show designers freedom.

That being said, I am not in favor of adding woodwinds (or electronics, for that matter) because to me that would essentially change the genre of what the corps were doing. Despite what you say, drum corps and marching bands ARE different genres, if for no other reason than they contain different instrumentation. To me, drum corps has always been about excellence in brass, percussion, and movement. Issues like valves, any key instruments, grounded pits, and amplification have always been superficial in my eyes when compared to my idea of drum corps.

Don't get me wrong- I've heard marching bands who have featured very lush woodwind sections effectively and created some beautiful music (same with electronic instruments, too)... but if I had the choice of watching the world's best marching bands or the world's best drum corps, I'll pick drum corps every day of the week. Is it a personal preference? For sure. But to me, seeming how there are already different genres that accomodate both sides of this preference, why not let marching bands be marching bands and drum corps be drum corps?

OK, so the days of just bugles and drums are shot to hell these days I guess.

So much for tradition and the uniqueness of TRUE Drum & BUGLE CORPS !! :doh::music:

Now I know how the guys from the fifties & sixties felt when two valve bugle came into vogue !!!

Edited by ODBC

Don't get me wrong- I've heard marching bands who have featured very lush woodwind sections effectively and created some beautiful music (same with electronic instruments, too)... but if I had the choice of watching the world's best marching bands or the world's best drum corps, I'll pick drum corps every day of the week. Is it a personal preference? For sure. But to me, seeming how there are already different genres that accomodate both sides of this preference, why not let marching bands be marching bands and drum corps be drum corps?

Why should they remain as-is? How about DCI starting a new division where any instrumentation is legal, a la MB? That way, if a few want to go that route...so be it.

• Like 1

For me, I’m a woodwind who wants to switch over for brass. I’m 19, so there isn’t much time left. There also isn’t much to find in the northeast. The only Div I corps I can attempt is The Cadets (since the Boston Crusaders are really a Florida corps). For an experienced brass player, the Cadets can be difficult to make, but I need to spend extra time, money, and energy to learn the instrument so I can just have that attempt for one summer. I’m sure most kids aren’t willing to go through that (heck, I don’t even know if I’m up to it yet).

You'll find that throughout the very LONG history of drum corps, literally thousands of woodwind players have adapted quickly to brass instruments and done quite well. Many corps are eager to teach woodwind players due to your ability to read music, breathe, understand articulations and dynamics, and march and play at the same time. As for your contention there are no drum corps in your area, I've provided a list of all corps in the NE US:

DCI Div. II

Jersey Surf

Mount Holly, NJ

Spartans

Nashua, NH

DCI Div. III

7th Regiment

New London, CT

Citations

Burlington, MA

Raiders

Wayne, NJ

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey

Linden, NJ

Targets

Springfield, MA

Vision Elite

Brooklyn, NY

DCA

Brigadiers

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

Empire Statesman

Hurricanes

Rochester Crusaders

Skyliners

Sunrisers

White Sabres

You'll find that most, if not all of these corps would be thrilled to have you in their lines and the instruction you would receive is first-rate. Check out the DCI website for links to Div II/III corps. The other option is to check out DCA. The membership includes many top professional musicians and many staff members teach BOTH DCI and DCA. Many students train in DCA before finishing their junior careers in DCI. Bottom line... if you really want to march, the resources are out there. GO FOR IT! The experience is amazing in both organizations and you don't want to be 50 and wish you'd done it. Good luck!

<<First of all, the most important benefit of allowing woodwinds is to expand the activity to more people.>>

I'm the biggest advocate there is of expanding the activity to more people...like the thousands of kids across the country auditioning on brass for their favorite Division I corps and who don't make it and don't go anywhere else. We need more corps for them...and we still won't have enough corps for just them.