Profanity/Vulgarity/Word Filter/Circumvention Guideline

Just type the appropriate number of "#" for any word of choice instead of letting the filters do so. Point is clear, no rules have been broken, and we can all go on being happy people. B)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just type the appropriate number of "#" for any word of choice instead of letting the filters do so. Point is clear, no rules have been broken, and we can all go on being happy people. B)

but then isn't that circumvention?

ahhh that slippery slope argument . . .

<$1 to C.E. Forum> :P

Pound signs are pound signs. I would have entered them manually, not the filters.

as many times i'll say BLEEP just like you'd hear in a tv show . . .

but i had to get a C.E. joke in there somehow

I'm sorry, you've lost me there.

You don't have the answer to "2 + 2 = ..."? Clarifying my previous post should not be necessary

Speeding is dangerous...someone could possibly be severely injured or killed because of it...

I don't believe using #s in excess will cause the same result....do you?

I don't how to express this nicely other than to say "the analogy is offensive"..I've already seen one other person saying that it was terrible

and saying that the analogy is offensive....that's a very canned answer as to what my opinion of that analogy really is..

Edited by JMS0527

Except many people are offended by Hasselhoff (both the word and actor?). :P

Gotta' respect the 'hof ... Hasselhoff Hasselhoffit! ^0^

So why is that "ticket" no longer sufficient?

If you get enough tickets and you still keep breaking the law, eventually, you get sent to jail.

The "ticket" is intended as a deterrent. If it no longer deters the behavior, then its use should be ammended (and perhaps that's what they're getting ready to announce?). Stiffer penalties must follow.

Stef

You don't have the answer to "2 + 2 = ..."? Clarifying my previous post should not be necessary

Speeding is dangerous...someone could possibly be severely injured or killed because of it...

I don't believe using #s in excess will cause the same result....do you?

I don't how to express this nicely other than to say "the analogy is offensive"..I've already seen one other person saying that it was terrible

and saying that the analogy is offensive....that's a very canned answer as to what my opinion of that analogy really is..

The analogy may not fit well, but that does not affect the substance of what is being said. Very few real life things will relate to this forum, where you can do pretty much anything, and nobody will be physically hurt. We get that. The whole point is that the rule is and has been in place, and just because enforcement has been lenient in the past does not mean that the rule isn't being violated. What we are saying is that we are now stepping up the enforcement of this rule in an effort to keep this forum appropriate for all ages.

Because of how big and popular this place has become, it is becoming a very prominent public face for the drum corps activity as a whole, so we have the responsibility to behave in such a manner on this very public site as to represent the activity well. Prospective drum corps members, their parents, and potential fans of the activity will not have any trouble finding this site as part of their research, and we need to be conscious always of the way our actions cause the activity as a whole to be perceived. When I was marching, one of my corps directors at the very beginning of the season cautioned all the corps members to stay away from public forums (citing RAMD specifically), calling them "poison." I think that we have come a long way since then, both in substance and appearance, and it is crucial that we continue to make this place welcome by the powers-that-be in the activity itself. As I write this, more than 400 people are reading, and these numbers continue to grow exponentially year by year. We had nearly 1100 concurrent visitors during DCI finals this year, and I anticipate even more in the coming years.

This site can exist with or without the blessing of DCI, DCA and the corps themselves, but many things will be easier and our content will be better if we do have their blessing. Whether or not we get that blessing depends upon the outward face we present, which in turn depends heavily on the behavior of our members and staff alike. That this many people are getting upset over no longer being allowed to say (insert word most people wouldn't say to their grandmothers) on these forums, bleeped or not, is (to me anyway) pretty disheartening.