1988 .. an incredible year of change

I enjoyed 88 from a drum corps perspective, but I have never lived thru a summer that was so universally hot no matter where you were. I mean Tarzan hot, ALL SUMMER.

We were in Jonesboro Arkansas and the outside thermometer on the field read 127

88 was a great year overall. A very emotional year for Dutch Boy members - we worked so hard that year and had a great corps/ show, only to end up sitting and watching finals from the stands on Saturday night. It was very difficult to watch corps perform that you had beaten several times during the season. Oh well. Still a great year. Don't regret a minute.

We did win best colour guard at DCI semi finals. I don't know if DCI had ever presented that award before for corps 13 to 25 or if they ever gave it again following 1988 but we did win best guard at semis. That was cool.

I'll never forget the tears we all cried together in the stands on Friday night and in the parking lot in Kansas after the scores were announced after semis. I must say that many other corps were so classy that night consoling us and congratulating us a fine show and year and reminding us to be proud. 13th by 2 tenths was still something to be proud of.

Maybe it was no coincidence that we played " It was a very good year"!.

I enjoyed 88 from a drum corps perspective, but I have never lived thru a summer that was so universally hot no matter where you were. I mean Tarzan hot, ALL SUMMER.

We were in Jonesboro Arkansas and the outside thermometer on the field read 127

Hey Mark.

88 Phantom Regiment has what is certainly one of the most beautiful small ensembles ever to grace the field - right before your final push. Just beautiful.

Hey Mark.

88 Phantom Regiment has what is certainly one of the most beautiful small ensembles ever to grace the field - right before your final push. Just beautiful.

Hey Brad, whats shakin?

I had the great honor of being the guy who connected to the ensemble when they were done playing LOL

88 was not my favorite show to march, but I still think it is underrated and never got the props it deserves.

of the 5 years I marched, 89 was my fav obviously, but then 87, 90, 88 and 86

I have to second that thought about PR's small ensemble. And then the capes come out, horns turn into the stands and BAM!!. What a great finish! b**bs Crowd was on its feet at that turn. Kudos to the Guard as well. Asbsolutley beautiful show and such a classy look to them that year. If I remember correctly, they won Guard that night? Deserved it if they did. Really told the story well and just staged perfectly throughout the show.

Edited by jimwolf359

I have to second that thought about PR's small ensemble. And then the capes come out, horns turn into the stands and BAM!!. What a great finish! b**bs Crowd was on its feet at that turn. Kudos to the Guard as well. Asbsolutley beautiful show and such a classy look to them that year. If I remember correctly, they won Guard that night? Deserved it if they did. Really told the story well and just staged perfectly throughout the show.

yea, we won guard that year :)

I have to second that thought about PR's small ensemble. And then the capes come out, horns turn into the stands and BAM!!. What a great finish! b**bs Crowd was on its feet at that turn.

The times I saw that show from the front, when those red capes came out I swear you could feel the air pressure drop from the crowd's collective gasp at the sheer coolness of it. Such a great effect. And simple in design. (and didn't require a single rules change to make it possible either.)

The times I saw that show from the front, when those red capes came out I swear you could feel the air pressure drop from the crowd's collective gasp at the sheer coolness of it. Such a great effect. And simple in design. (and didn't require a single rules change to make it possible either.)

you have no idea the nightmare time we went thru making those things work in 87 LOL

seems simple, just a little pocket sewn into the back of the uniform, but if the cape was not packed JUST right either you couldn't grab the thumb ring, or it came out twisted.

Brazale would tell us pack it like a parachute, like your life depends on it LOL

First time I saw them do that was at DATR that year. Took my breath away. One of the best "goosebump" moments I ever had. Often times the best ideas are the simplest ones. that was definetly the case here. I took a friend to the show in Denver that year. First time for him. He had tears rolling down his cheeks when PR got done. Been hooked ever since.

First time I saw them do that was at DATR that year. Took my breath away. One of the best "goosebump" moments I ever had. Often times the best ideas are the simplest ones. that was definetly the case here. I took a friend to the show in Denver that year. First time for him. He had tears rolling down his cheeks when PR got done. Been hooked ever since.

If ever I've seen a good quote for DCI to use in their marketing... this is it!

May drum corps NEVER lose the ability to do that...

:)