Comparing King vs Yamaha

Marching Mallets

Hey there everyone!

Can anyone shed some light on the performance, durability and sound quality from KING euphoniums.

I know the Yamaha Euph puts out a nice balanced sound, but what about the King Euphs as well.

Also, from your own experience, if you were buying a new set of 50 horns, Who would you go with.

King or Yamaha? Please feel free to list any good or bad issues!

Thanks!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you would be upset with either set of horns. I think they're the top two available, as far as sound and feel go. That being said, I like the valve action and weight balance of the Yamahas better than that of the Kings.

ive played both , and like the king better. It has a better feel to it. and it think its a little more corps sounding than the yamaha.

I'm not sure what you mean by corps-sounding, given the fact that many of the top corps today play Yamaha - Cavaliers, Cadets, Bluecoats, Vanguard. To me, the difference in feel between the Kings and Yamahas is that the Kings feel VERY open (almost too much) while the Yamahas feel more centered, which I prefer most of the time. Both produce a great sound. Ergonomically, I also like the Yamahas. In my opinion, they allow for a more natural and comfortable hand position, and the weight distribution and balance are very good. This weighting is something that is fine with most of the Kings, but not (in my opinion) the baritones - they feel strange to me for some reason.

From my expeience, I have preferred Yamaha. I do have to say the only ultimate marching brass horn I have played has been the bari. I felt the horn was stuffy and not balanced very well (valve cluster is too close to the bell). The Yamaha bari (I own one) is free blowing, compact design, and well balanced. I purchased the horn (and tested the King) at Nazareth Music Center, Nazareth Pa. One big reason I went with the Yamaha was the price, a few hundred cheaper than the King. Also the Yamaha was more readily available. I wanted a silver plate horn, the King in stock was laquer, it would take 6-8 weeks to get a new sp model. The Yamaha horn in sp was in stock in Yamaha's US warehouse. They told my sale rep it would take a week, it arrived in the store in three days! I love the horn, A few months ago I got the new Yamaha mello, by far the best mello ever made. But don't take my word on it, check out the review on www.middlehornleader.com

Corps sounding? Why would (or why should) playing in a drum corps be any different than playing in any other ensemble?

Because a drum corps IS completley different from any other kind of ensemble. I'm not going to approach a brass qunitet the same way I'm going to approach a lead part in jazz band. Drum corps is the same.

Does the Yamaha euph have the same plastic valve guides as their baritone? has there been any improvement? i recall the valve stems are prone to breaking and replacement parts are weeks away. id be interested if there's been design improvement.

for my money though the Kanstul euph is the best in terms of balance, weight, response, intonation. price is a little high but i think worth it.

i recall the valve stems are prone to breaking and replacement parts are weeks away.

From my experience you'll be waiting for parts regardless who you buy them from. The only difference will be the Yamaha part will take a few weeks to arrive from Japan, while it will take King the same amount of time to make the replacement part.

Ive marched with both horn companies on baritone, and I believe Yamaha are superior to Kings. The baris are far more focused then the Kings. The Kings will provide a darker sound though, it all depends on what kind of timbre you prefer. I personally like the Xenos and mellos as well, although i thnk that the Xenos are a tad bit more expensive than the King ulitmate trumpet. Yamaha Corporation rocks!