Horns for sale

njthundrrd

It's true, in the upper and mid voices bugles are cheaper. However, in the low brass the bugles are much more expensive. Phantom Regiment is not the only corps selling used horns for ridiculous prices.

Just pointing out a fact. I'm still against Bb in Drum and Bugle Corps.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys... DCI corps generally replace their instruments every two years or so. That's not just DCI either. The big-time senior corps that have contracts with the horn companies generally replace their stuff regularly as well.

But I will agree, that even in the best kept condition, that's expensive for used Bb stuff.

I know the big DCA corps are CHANGING OVER to Bbs but I never heard of them changing their horns every year or two like in the juniors. In fact, I haven't heard of any seniors buying a whole new set to replace the ones they have now. Maybe they'll do a horn or two to replace ones damaged or faulty. If anyone can point to the post of corps A buying a new set of Bbs to replace the ones they have now I'll take back what I said.

Remember, the seniors don't have all that free flowing money that the juniors have.

I know the big DCA corps are CHANGING OVER to Bbs but I never heard of them changing their horns every year or two like in the juniors. In fact, I haven't heard of any seniors buying a whole new set to replace the ones they have now. Maybe they'll do a horn or two to replace ones damaged or faulty. If anyone can point to the post of corps A buying a new set of Bbs to replace the ones they have now I'll take back what I said.

Remember, the seniors don't have all that free flowing money that the juniors have.

If I'm not mistaken, a while back

Minnesota brass was selling their first set of Bbs after only having them a short time.

Edited by JCSeymour

In addition to previous comments, you can't help wonder why next to new Bb instruments need to be dumped so soon! Should buyers beware?

They have to sell the horns off so they can pay the bill and get a new set of horns. It's really that simple. :bleah:

Well, the prices aren't that bad. A new powerbore will cost around $800 these days. (used to be $700 five years ago, and the new ones are half the weight). But that is in G which are generally cheaper horns. For Bb, you're looking at a bit more. And quite a bit more if you're buying a Tuba new without a discount. Although I will admit spending more on an instrument than you spent on your previous car is a bit steep. But based on the MSRP, it's sort of a deal.

I've bought a used Deg G Euph for $500, and a used Deg Bb Euph for $650. I recently bought a used Bach 37 trumpet for $900, kind of pricey, but the MSRP is nearly twice that and it was fairly mint. And I am looking at buying one of the King Tubas, since lugging a Conn 20J around is a bit of a chore, especially if it's a standing only gig.

I did read on the Dynasty webpage about MBI replacing all their instruments. I'm assuming they were in G back in '05.

I'm pretty sure they were advertising, last Spring, that their whole set of Bb's was for sale, once the season ended. Don't know if they ever sold them or not.

Also, seems like they were buying a whole new set of the same thing. Dynasty Bb's , I think?

Edited by brassomaniac

Selling off Bbs and then buying a new set regularly is part of the contract many corps sign with the manufacturer. As far as the price, if Regiment can get people to pay that price, more power to them.

As far as price comparisons, keep in mind that Regiment is basing their prices off of new MSRP prices. Corps buying a set of new horns probably get a fairly significant discount off the list price.

I believe both MBI and Cabs are on their second sets of Bbs at this point. Not positive on that, though.

I always shake my head at the prices of used Bb brass from corps, but they always manage to sell them. I guess there are enough band directors out there eager to play a BD horn, or a Phantom horn, or an MBI horn that they'll pay above-new prices for 2 year old horns.

Again...if they can get that much for them, more power to them.