1977 Alberta Girls trip to England Part 1

Fanfare - Letters to my Mom: 1977 Alberta Girls trip to England (I) Link

Linda Purgas has submitted a most captivating series of remembrances of a trip she took to England in 1977 with the Alberta Girls, a corps that participated in Drum Corps International competition in 1975. Although the ensemble only competed in 1975, they still spread the word of drum corps by using only drums and G bugles, were prominently featured on the cover of the D.E.G. bugles catalog, and were taught by instructors including Santa Clara Vanguard’s Fred Sanford.

Intermittently over the next few weeks, the Fanfare column will feature a handful of letters Linda wrote to her mother, along with the photos she took on the trip. Linda wrote her mother every day and this compilation of memories may sound familiar to anyone who’s been on a drum corps tour.

I’ve personally never seen such a comprehensive collection of letters from tour. If anyone else has kept letters (or perhaps more current for today, a blog) of their travels with drum corps and would like to offer it for a possible Fanfare down the road (so to speak), please send it to me at boomike@dci.org.

Now that brings back hazy memories. I was maeching snare with the Basildon Drum and Trumpet Corps (soon to be Blue Eagles). they certainly created a bit of a stir as I recall. :)

• 10 years later...

The Alberta Girls were an outstanding drum corps, taught by some outstanding instructors like Ralph Hardimon, Fred Sanfors, Mike Duffy and Wayne Harris.

Man, could they play!

Linda P is their former guard captain and historian. I'd love to see excerpts from those letters. Please post some of that.

10 hours ago, ironlips said:

The Alberta Girls were an outstanding drum corps, taught by some outstanding instructors like Ralph Hardimon, Fred Sanfors, Mike Duffy and Wayne Harris.

Man, could they play!

Does anyone other than me see the humorous irony here?

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Does anyone other than me see the humorous irony here?

It has been a journey on DCP for me. Unfortunately my bucket account did not retain the photos I posted here. Fortunately the new DCI website kept the letters to my Mom https://www.dci.org/news/letters-to-my-mom-1977-alberta-girls-trip-to-england-iii

21 hours ago, ironlips said:

Man, could they play!

Linda P is their former guard captain and historian. I'd love to see excerpts from those letters. Please post some of that.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the recording I sent. Keep on writing. Love your DCP articles. Hugs to you and yours.