Judging

I think that the judging was way off this year. Especially in the IW class. I thought Aimachi was beautiful and they were a crowd favorite. But we are not judging beauty and crowd reaction. This is a colorguard competition. Aimachi did not have the level of equipment or movement vocabulary of many other IW guards. Fantasia clearly had the better run in finals and deserved to win.

Don't get me wrong.. I loved Aimachi, however I would not have put them in the top 3.

I would agree that they didn't have the same equipment vocabulary on flag, rifle, or sabre as the other top IW guards. But I would assume they were getting credit for what they did on baton. Which is kind of wierd because it's apples and oranges, but they were incredible on that piece of equipment. Also, I thought they achieved their vocabulary better than anyone else in the entire class. There is something to be said for being squeaky clean and consistent with flawless technique.

FYI, they are judging beauty. It's the first item listed on the new GE sheet (color, costuming, set design, etc.). It still mystifies me how someone can be at the top of a class and have ugly flags and no color pallete. That's probably the easiest thing to get right, how could you miss it? Just call the Band Hall, for God's sake.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, they are judging beauty. It's the first item listed on the new GE sheet (color, costuming, set design, etc.). It still mystifies me how someone can be at the top of a class and have ugly flags and no color pallete. That's probably the easiest thing to get right, how could you miss it? Just call the Band Hall, for God's sake.

AMEN!

WGI rules indicate that equipment is flag, rifle or sabre. Props do not count as equipment. The batons were beautiful and added much to the GE of the show, but they do not count as equipment.

The question that many around me posed was that if a US guard utilized baton would they get the same reaction.

WGI rules indicate that equipment is flag, rifle or sabre. Props do not count as equipment. The batons were beautiful and added much to the GE of the show, but they do not count as equipment.

The question that many around me posed was that if a US guard utilized baton would they get the same reaction.

To clarify that, they do not count as legal equipment to the T&P judge. In other words, they don't count towards your minimum equipment time. However, the use of batons is credited by the eqiupment judge. It's the same situation as the sickle rifles.

I learned a long time ago that I don't always see what the judges do, and that's ok. But here's how I would have called it.

IW:

1. Fantasia: they were beautiful and had incredible effect. Also one of the cleanest and most technically sound Fantasia shows in a long time.

2. Amachi: Beautiful and the cleanest of the night. Breathtaking!

3. Pride: The show was constructed impeccably, but left me B-O-R-E-D. Also, they blew up in finals, several drops (even a flag drop :rolleyes: ). Pride is know for having superior technique and being so consistent. I haven't ever seen them blow up like that that I can remember.

I agree with your placements. Had Pride done a cleaner show, I think my opinion might have been different.

Some folks are saying that beauty can't be judged, but I disagree. I'm no expert on the judging sheets, but when a guard transports the audience the way Aimachi did, that's a whole different level of performance, and must be rewarded as such. That kind of performance doesn't happen by accident; it's by design, and also a credit to the level of performance by the guard.

Edited by byline

By the way, had Aimachi's guard ever medalled at WGI before? They looked genuinely overwhelmed by placing where they did.

Blue Devils did it years ago; I'm thinking it was 1990. And yes, the crowd reaction was amazing!

I thought both IA and SA were correct, as was SO. I preferred Zydeco over Code Black in IO, but they were both wonderful.

As for the World class, I would've had Avon winning SW, with Logan second and Flanagan third. IW--I would've easily given it to Fantasia, with Sac second and Pride third--they just weren't clean enough to have earned that win. As for Aimachi, yes, they're beautiful, it was a gorgeous show, it was clean and emotional. But take away the batons and all you have is a show with an 8th-10th place vocabulary. I think people were so focused on all the baton tricks that they didn't pay enough attention to what the rest of the guard was doing, which really wasn't difficult work. As for the rest of IW, Black Watch should've finished alot higher, and Sonnor would've come alot closer to making finals than they did.

My thoughts -

IA was correct.

SA could have gone to Americas but they had a few important drops that not only hurt the equipment score but the GE score as well.

SO was correct.

IO - Zydeco had a better show in Prelims and Code Black was on FIRE in Finals. I also have to mention that Ventures could have been close to placing 3rd but had some prop difficulties unlike in prelims where they had an amazing show!

SW - as much as it would have been something to see with Avon winning - Logan was also on FIRE. The whole show just built emotion and left you standing in applause in the end.

IW - I was very disappointed by Fantasia and Pride's shows at Finals. They were both great in Prelims with Fantasia having a better show on Friday (Pride also had some prop difficulties Friday night). Just like Americas - Fantasia had a few KEY drops in their show that might be put them over Pride. I was also disappointed that Light Brigade didn't make it in...