Judging

AMEN! god bless the band hall!! :rolleyes:

I would agree that they didn't have the same equipment vocabulary on flag, rifle, or sabre as the other top IW guards. But I would assume they were getting credit for what they did on baton. Which is kind of wierd because it's apples and oranges, but they were incredible on that piece of equipment. Also, I thought they achieved their vocabulary better than anyone else in the entire class. There is something to be said for being squeaky clean and consistent with flawless technique.

FYI, they are judging beauty. It's the first item listed on the new GE sheet (color, costuming, set design, etc.). It still mystifies me how someone can be at the top of a class and have ugly flags and no color pallete. That's probably the easiest thing to get right, how could you miss it? Just call the Band Hall, for God's sake.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also in DCI, the cadets used baton a few years ago

WGI rules indicate that equipment is flag, rifle or sabre. Props do not count as equipment. The batons were beautiful and added much to the GE of the show, but they do not count as equipment.

The question that many around me posed was that if a US guard utilized baton would they get the same reaction.

Few things:

Aimachi- Easy and clean, ALWAYS ALWAYS beats hard and dirty. This is a fact of guard. It sucks, but it's true. A real testimony to this is IO class in 2005. My motto is anything that is easy must be effective and well executed and anything difficult must be done well to get the credit it deserves. Aimachi is filled with effect and great execution hence their placement.

Beauty- I don't think the judges are judging beauty at all, for that is in the eye of the beholder. I am pretty sure they are judging if the pallette is effective with the mood and makes sense within the show....not that it's drop dead gorgeous or not. Many guards use just plain solid colored flags, but since it worked there was no problem with it.

I need to go look at the re-cap before talking about much else.

Easy and Clean always beats Hard and Dirty if you are in the A or Open class.

We are talking about World class. World class guards, especially the top 3 are supposed to set new standards of vocabulary and excellence for the activity.

True, Aimachi isn't doing equipment difficulty in the same range you're seeing from Pride and Fantasia. However, they ARE doing world class stuff, thus their appropriate ranking in the vocabulary sub-caption. Take a look when you get the DVD's at some of the stuff their rifles do - blind toss turns, double turnarounds under tosses, etc. You aren't seeing that from other groups. Additionally, their batons DO count as equipment. Once you take something and start to manipulate it, the equipment judge can comment and adjudicate that piece as much as he/she desires. Their baton "vocabulary" is VERY world class. And when you look at their level of achievement, then YES, they should be awarded in that sub-caption as well. As I looked over the recap, they were the guard that I thought the judges absolutely NAILED where they should've been placed in every single sub-caption. Well done panel!

I agree that the baton twirling was at a world class level, however this is a colorguard competition.

i believe that this yr's WGI SW/IW finals was a droppy yr. there was quite a few drops.the crowd was ridiculous. they were blah and didnt really clap as loud as i thought they would.its as if they want to clap for something they've never seen before. and when a performer dropped the entire arena went "ohhhh". but i thought that aimachi was just mesmerizing. and in SW i must say i was extremely dissappointed. James Logan clearly deserved the gold that they won. they we're just amazing and just great. Avon deserved 2nd . there wasnt any way their show could have beaten James Logan. Im sorry but Arcadia did not deserve 3rd place.Flanagan by far was a better guard and more deserving. if u compared them in prelims Flanagan was way Better and even in finals.They might as well have tied just like the IW.

IW- Phantom and Nei were amazing they should've placed higher i guess. They were both better than the san jose raiders

This Aimachi topic is going to be debated for months - I knew it would!

I wasn't there this year, but my first thought when I heard about the tie was "well did they actually spin this year or was it all baton tricks? if so, then it was probably all effect that got them the medal." I also thought that WGI just made a huge statement by allowing them to not do a regional AND use batons and get a medal. Come one, come all next year!

Then I spoke to a friend yesterday who was on her way home from Dayton and before I could even open my mouth she said that it - albeit fantastic and exciting - all baton, dance and maybe a few flags.

Wow.

Our home circuit here has 3 categories - winter guard, dance and majorette. Whatever your thang is they got a place for ya!

All this said and done, I am sure I would have been on my feet just like everyone else in the arena! I always have been for them!

I agree that the baton twirling was at a world class level, however this is a colorguard competition.

There are many elements that are part of a color guard competition that are not necessarily in the standard equipment repertoire, but work perfectly well in the medium of color guard. Baton -- and particularly baton work performed at this level -- is one of those elements. And this is coming from a hard-corps, staunchly military guard person who used to despise batons! But not when they're done this way, and written as musically as Aimachi's are. :)

This Aimachi topic is going to be debated for months - I knew it would!

I wasn't there this year, but my first thought when I heard about the tie was "well did they actually spin this year or was it all baton tricks? if so, then it was probably all effect that got them the medal." I also thought that WGI just made a huge statement by allowing them to not do a regional AND use batons and get a medal. Come one, come all next year!

Then I spoke to a friend yesterday who was on her way home from Dayton and before I could even open my mouth she said that it - albeit fantastic and exciting - all baton, dance and maybe a few flags.

Wow.

Our home circuit here has 3 categories - winter guard, dance and majorette. Whatever your thang is they got a place for ya!

All this said and done, I am sure I would have been on my feet just like everyone else in the arena! I always have been for them!

There was a baton feature but there were plenty of flag and a lot of rifle work, some good tricks. I don't remember how they spun sabre, but I was really impressed with their rifles. Die hard technique, man.