Tuned percussion

We are looking to purchase a new line of mallet percussion and would like input from players and instructors on the various products available as to quality of sound, construction ,service etc thanks

So who's da best??? :lol:

Edited by ripper

If you have the means to afford rosewood, get adams. The frames are great! They'll definitely hold up outside.

If you don't have the money to shell out for rosewood, and are going to have to go with a synthetic bar, go with yamaha.

Little tip, most of the "top cops" sell their entire pit every year or so for a veery reasonable price.

Edited by MGCpimpOtimp

I personally like the Adams all around. Good keys, nice sound and a great frame!!! Check out Fork's Drum Closet, they seem to sell a lot of used ones for Corps.

I don't think there's a terrible amount of difference, but I would strongly advise that the most important thing is durability for most ensembles. I would actually disagree with the above poster about Rosewood simply because the maintenance is difficult and spotty for most high school groups. Are you really going to oil the bars regularly?

My overall recommendation is to get synthetic bars, and get the outdoor frames and wheels. The investment will definitely pay off over the years of service. In addition, there are many facilities that no longer permit the use of non-inflatable wheels on their fields.

The only synthetic bar to me that doesn't sound awful, is the acoustilon from yamaha. I love adam's stuff, but their synthetic bars sound awful. So, if you have the means (some schools do, and have practice synthetic bars) to get rosewood, go with adams, if not, yamaha.

Ludwig or Yamaha. And build in a maintenance program to instruct your young'uns on the care and feeding of pit instruments.

Adams, hands down.

Yamaha synthetic. Rosewood marimbas do not do well outside (trust me...our school has a rosewood yamaha and we made the mistake of using it for three marching seasons and it's no where near as good sounding as it used to be).