Current Events Forum Closure Discussion

I guess the possibility that "current events" ( tour gas prices thread leads to political debate, leads to flame war, and so on) will spill over to the drum corps portion of the site wasn't a consideration...that will change soon.

As mobrien said above, this place has been taken over for the most part by the younger set, which I suppose begs for a tighter moderation leash, anyway.

Good luck with it...like others, I'm more or less done here. :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current events was a big reason for me to come to this forum, especially since it occassionally beat the nightly news out of the starting gate. I use the other portions of the forum for information during the season on scores and show locations, but most of my interest here comes from CE.

Looks like I'll be disappearing from here for the most part as well.

Is there any possibility of it coming back with a revised moderation scheme, or is it dead, buried, and forever remembered?

I see the "Screw you guys. I'm going home!" <$1.00 to Cartman> argument has reared it's ugly head again. <**>

if this is truly the death knell of the current events forum, and there is no opportunity for reprieve, i will be disappointed on several fronts. the closure message suggests that we go find a forum that specializes in politics. here's the thing: i like drum corps people. drum corps was an important part of my life, and in many ways those experiences of my youth shaped the man that i am today. that can be said for just about all of the people who post on the CE forum. to be honest, i don't want to go to some random political website or news website to disucss politics.

i enjoy having those conversations with people who were in drum corps. one of the other aspects i enjoy about this forum is that, although we all share a drum corps connection, we come from a wide range of locations and idealogies. finally, i enjoy discussing current events with a group of folks who have become a community. honestly, i don't want to go to some website and discuss the day's events with BushBasher888 or KerryKiller999. i would prefer to have that conversation wtih dan, barb, dave, kelli, matt, lance, daniel, jerry and too many others to name.

also, it has always been an added bonus that we could toss allusions to drum corps mixed in with our current events discussion! it just added a unique flavor to the topics of the day.

sadly, if the ce forum does not come back, i will probably not be on DCP much. although i enjoy discussing world events with drum corps people, drum corps is not a part of my current life. there are only so many war stories to tell in the alumni forum. i don't march senior. although the div I conversations can have some nuggets, i care very little to argue about amps, horn tunings, etc. i enjoyed this place because it offered me somewhere to discuss things that matter to me and keep some connection to my drum corps roots. if DCP does indeed keep this forum closed, it will be my loss. the thing is, it will also be DCP's loss because, despite whatever problems it might have had, it was a forum with real spirit.

To add to what Tony said I also like discussing CE here because most other political sites are slanted towards a particuliar POV and posting is typically either a me too or a troll situation. In here the prevailing POV changes with who is here at the time. Drum corps people come from all over and have many different political, religious. etc backgrounds. It really has been valuable to attach real people to ideas and points of view that I would rarely encounter in the real world. Too bad. :(