High Color Guard:Yokohama Inspires

"Spirit of Arita" Award(Div.1 Champion):Yokohama Inspires

"Spirit of Konno" Award(Div.2 Champion):Jokers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Eddie for a quick upload.

It was really a magical and emotional evening yesterday. As a staff member for the Jokers, I am proud of members,

so as the organisation of DCJ. and audience.

I saw many guys who seem that they are from U.S. Would like to hear from them.

Live long, DCJ

Ken

I saw many guys who seem that they are from U.S. Would like to hear from them.

I loved it. It was the first time I attended a DCJ event as a spectator. Ajinomoto Stadium was a reat venue. DCJ must have taken a loss on getting it, but it was nice to have. Sound carried really well.

The two high school groups were amazing. I think Hoshino should have been closer to Shonan, but the winner was clear. Shonan marched a heck of a show.

Congratulations to the Jokers. First time at a DCJ event and you win! I know that some of them must be bummed at not making All Japan, but I would think the win would make up for that. The soft ending was a surprise, but very nicely done.

I expected Division 1 to be close, but not 0.1 of a point. I was once on the other end of a 0.1 victory, and I have to say it suck-diddly-ucked. The Scouts have nothing to be ashamed of. They represented Japan well in Pasadena.

I love the sound of Tokyo Phoenix's hornline. Would love to hear them on Bb/F.

As a FMM of Inspires it should go without saying that I loved their show, and am happy with the win. Like last year's show Conquistador would do very well at DCA.

I loved it. It was the first time I attended a DCJ event as a spectator. Ajinomoto Stadium was a reat venue. DCJ must have taken a loss on getting it, but it was nice to have. Sound carried really well.

Yeah, it was my first DCJ too. That was a mighty impressive stadium, and it was also nice how the torrential rain held off until (just barely) after the show ended.

Congratulations to the Jokers. First time at a DCJ event and you win! I know that some of them must be bummed at not making All Japan, but I would think the win would make up for that. The soft ending was a surprise, but very nicely done.

I didn't really care for the show concept or design, to be honest. I preferred both Phoenix Regiment and Imperial Sound, but there was really no arguing with Jokers' execution of what they were given.

I was amazed at how much sound the Div II horn lines were putting out, with (in general) pretty decent TQ&I.

I expected Division 1 to be close, but not 0.1 of a point. I was once on the other end of a 0.1 victory, and I have to say it suck-diddly-ucked.

uh........yup (check the sig).

For me, it was too close to call between Scouts and Inspires. I would have been fine either way. The horn line and battery of the Scouts' were the size of Div. 1 DCI corps (and a 12-person cymbal line!!), but I felt like in this case, not only did size not matter, it was actually a disadvantage. A lot of their drill seemed like variations on a morphing block, simply because there wasn't much else they could do in the space they had to work in. In contrast, the Inspires were really flying around in parts of their show in ways the Scouts simply could not.

As was the case with Div II, I thought Inspires won despite not having the best show on paper. That's probably personal preference to some extent--I could happily live the rest of my life without seeing another Latin Jazz show. That said, the one area where Inspires clearly outdid Scouts was in having a complete grip on their show and really selling it to the crowd (it must be said, though, that that kind of show is an easier sell). I was particularly impressed by how they let their hair down and really let it fly in the victory performance (the marching suffered noticeably, but whatever).

Random pet peeve: Aussies and straight plumes do not mix!!!

Finally a big shout-out and otsukare-sama to my pal Shiho Mikazuki, a FMM of SCV (FMM as of this past August) who ripped it up on mellophone for Imperial Sound.

Recaps are up on http://www.dcjpn.org :)

It was a great experience being on that field! Sorry I never got to meet anyone else after the performance but with the rain starting and it being my last night in Japan I had many corpsmates I needed to say goodbye to. Hope everyone enjoyed all the corps!

Anyone know who the guy in the Glassmen jacket was?

And yeah, DCJ championships has always been a great experience for me, and being able to see all the folks I left behind again really made my day. Being outside was wonderful... sort of like division II/III finals at Camp Randall Stadium.

After retreat, we had to scram to get to our train on time, so I apologize (too) that I was not able to hang around afterwards. Kind of sucks that we couldn't be a part of the encore performance, but oh well... our staff wasn't really sure what to expect out of DCJ, but hopefully after this year, it will be a part of the corps' regular schedule... and hopefully stay longer too.

• 2 months later...

Video of Tokyo Phoenix performance at DCJ.

http://www.t-phoenix.org/PhoenixPic/2007Fa...11153951(1).mpg