Cadets members, post your thoughts here.

Since all the "talking heads" on DrumCorpsPlanet have been going on and on and on about the Thursday thing, and whether the narration hurt your chances, and so on...I thought it'd be cool to throw out a thread for all you Cadets (2007 guys only please...we've heard PLENTY from former Cadets thanks :P )...

So what was it really like on Thursday with all the ignorant jerks booing? How was the show affected? Did you know what was up, or did it really throw you off?

What did the staff and director have to say about it on Thursday and Friday? Were you guys upset and wishing it hadn't happened?

Did you feel like finals week went the way you were hoping? What did you guys think of BD? Cavies? Other groups?

Did any of you kinda think early on "gee, this narration might be too much...this could be a problem"?...or did you really dig it?

I could ask a million more questions, but you get the idea...tell us all about the season guys. Best memories, rough days, and anything else you'd like to add.

AND...congrats on a most excellent season! You guys rocked, obviously, and did some serious damage in a year that some have called the most competetive ever! Wish I could have been there to check it out! :worthy:

(I couldn't catch you guys live, but I have seen your show on vid...a MOST interesting show lol, I can see how it could be controversial but there is NO contraversy about the fact that you guys performed the HECK out of it!)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, anyone else feel free to chime in, by the way.

I was only half kidding about hearing other peoples opinions on the show (we've got plenty of other threads for that anyway though right?).

This could definitely double as a "congrats on a great season" thread if everyone wants...I'm just not really in the mood to hear about "why the narration sucked", or "why the Cadets should have won", etc...unless of course one of the actual PERFORMERS feels like talking about that stuff. B)

I don't think you're going to find many actual marching members of this year's corps willing to comment on here on this topic. Maybe it's time for us to move on?

Since all the "talking heads" on DrumCorpsPlanet have been going on and on and on about the Thursday thing, and whether the narration hurt your chances, and so on...I thought it'd be cool to throw out a thread for all you Cadets (2007 guys only please...we've heard PLENTY from former Cadets thanks :P )...

So what was it really like on Thursday with all the ignorant jerks booing? How was the show affected? Did you know what was up, or did it really throw you off?

What did the staff and director have to say about it on Thursday and Friday? Were you guys upset and wishing it hadn't happened?

Did you feel like finals week went the way you were hoping? What did you guys think of BD? Cavies? Other groups?

Did any of you kinda think early on "gee, this narration might be too much...this could be a problem"?...or did you really dig it?

I could ask a million more questions, but you get the idea...tell us all about the season guys. Best memories, rough days, and anything else you'd like to add.

AND...congrats on a most excellent season! You guys rocked, obviously, and did some serious damage in a year that some have called the most competetive ever! Wish I could have been there to check it out! :worthy:

(I couldn't catch you guys live, but I have seen your show on vid...a MOST interesting show lol, I can see how it could be controversial but there is NO contraversy about the fact that you guys performed the HECK out of it!)

so what corps were you marching with?

Edited by BoxVSoprano

This is actually an interesting topic that I wouldnt mind scratching the surface of. Thursday night when we got pulled off the field it was very alarming. As most of us were spread out in the opening set we really didn't know why we were being called back to the center of the field. There was kind of a brief explanation...and then Hopkins told us we had to block it up and hurry exit the tunnel. Once I knew why we were being called off, I knew we were going to hear boos. People were intoxicated, we're already public enemy number one for every other reason, and we're not exactly close to home. I knew as we were leaving the field that this was a bad choice. And as much as many people believe Hopkins did it for some sort of competitive edge....he really didnt. He did it for the safety of the corps. Although I knew that, and we knew that as a corps....I knew the 12,000 people in the stands weren't thinking the same thing. We all knew as soon as we had to go back out there we were going to get booed....and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Being apart of the 2006 production we/I sort have got used to constant criticism of the show and used to not having the greatest crowd reactions, but this was a horrible feeling beyond any prior that we were put in. It was bad enough to have our energy we were ready to bring halted by the sudden incident....but the nasty comments we heard from the stands before and during the show really effected me. we tried to not let it hinder our performance but there was no stopping it....once the show started there was such a lack of energy as it felt like everyone was marching on eggshells. I noticed stupid errors that hadn't happened since spring training...just complete mental breakdowns. It wasn't the worst performance we could've done, but it certainly wasn't the way we planned to start the first of the three nights.

When Hopkins spoke to the corps after the performance as he always did, it was a complete different vibe from any time before. Usually when we come off the field he always knows whether it was a good or bad performance...and when they're bad he gives us a minor pep talk to how we need to take the approach to get better. But that night it was different. He started with sincerely apologizing to the corps for putting us through it. He never had the intentions to set us up for a performance where the fans were booing from the beginning. He explained that his decision was purely spur of the moment and he didnt take the time to think of all the consequences. Obviously its easy for anyone to criticise him when its hindsight 20/20. But he was purely in the moment on a field with 135 performers ready to start, and 12,000 people in the stands screaming at him, and he was faced with a choice. He felt horrible for the position he put us in, and it was the most sincere speech I had ever witnessed from him. It made my eyes water to hear the regret and sorrow from him as he explained how he barely knew what had happened in the show because of how upset he was in the stands with hearing the constant boos and heckling his performers were receiving.

After four years of marching drum corps, Quarterfinals night 2007 was the worst performance emotionally that I have ever felt. It will stand as my worst drum corps experience, and I hope another corps will never have to go through a performance with what that crowd put us through. It felt horrible and disgusting. I understand after reading these boards a few days after finals, many claim that the boos were directed towards Mr. Hopkins and NOT the corps. BUT, we didnt feel that, nor (at least I) didnt know that. We received those boos as boos towards us. The laughing, the heckling, the obnoxious comments through out the whole show....we felt towards us. And it did negatively impact our performance and we all knew it.

As far as the outcome of finals and the season....it ended the way it was supposed to end. Whether were going to win or not, we brought our best stuff we had to offer both friday and saturday night, and it was up to 8 judges to crown a winner....nothing anyone else could control. Neither placement would have overshadowed the work and memories that went into this summer...and this was the best summer I could've possibly asked for regardless of that final number was.

Just a little insider that might shed some light on the topic.....hope it helps

Awsome insight, dude...thanks so much!! :)

I am VERY sorry to hear what an awful experience Thursday night was for you guys, as a former BD member I know how if feels to get that kinda treatment (mostly in the mid-west for us)...and it was very wrong. I was kinda crusading the net complaining about it to anyone who would listen, and believe me when I tell you if I'd been there you might have seen a couple fights break out up there in the stands (maybe that would have helped, who knows? :P ).

As for the rest, great to hear the insight and I did get the impression that your director was doing a "spur of the moment" thing, and it's cool that he told you all that and it must have sucked for him too having to listen to those jerks boo and catcall (they are NO fans of drum corps, believe me!).

So, glad to hear Friday and Saturday went much better for you guys! Sure has been a lot of contraversy this summer over the narration or whatever but the fact that you guys were awsome performers was never in question! We BD alums were sweating it out pretty good after Friday man!

Congrats on an excellent and very successful season, and on your many years with the corps (are you out now, or not done yet?).

And thank you for chiming in. This is exactly the stuff I was curious about, and you explained the inner details perfectly and with a ton of class (a lot different from those so called "fans" huh?).

Cadets 07... :worthy: