Drum Majors On the Field

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember Wally Curtis of Princemen fame back in the 60's? He was with St. Kevin's Emerald Knights I believe in the 50's as well. I remember seeing him in Roosevelt Stadium (the "Dream" I believe) back in the early 60"s doing a dance on the front sideline. More of a tease as to how close he could come without stepping on or going over it. It was a penalty back then to cross any sideline, or goal line.

Oh! And thanks for the compliment.

donincardona Today, 07:49 PM

"yup you guy's were good. espcieally you and winky."

Edited by NYSkyliner

:) Butch and Wink were great, no doubt, and I think in that line lets not forget Alan Smythe...I was lucky enough to march with him a few times... :)

yup. i marched with him to

Does anyone remember Wally Curtis of Princemen fame back in the 60's? He was with St. Kevin's Emerald Knights I believe in the 50's as well. I remember seeing him in Roosevelt Stadium (the "Dream" I believe) back in the early 60"s doing a dance on the front sideline. More of a tease as to how close he could come without stepping on or going over it. It was a penalty back then to cross any sideline, or goal line.

Oh! And thanks for the compliment.

donincardona Today, 07:49 PM

"yup you guy's were good. espcieally you and winky."

no problem . i loved watching you guys. i met winky at dca in 68. for some reason we became friends that night. from there i met alot of the greats. it was a great time.

no problem . i loved watching you guys. i met winky at dca in 68. for some reason we became friends that night. from there i met alot of the greats. it was a great time.

After a 40 year career in drum corps and having marched with many drum corps and under the direction of many drum majors the best D.M. i played under was Beth Coonan of the rochester crusaders 1988-1989. I never thought that I would ever say that about a female D.M. but she had great control ond knowledge of music and really made an impression on me.

You noticed that? Cool! :)

LOL, I just "noticed" this post. :blink:

Also made a smart aleck comment about you larnin' (learning) that fancy mark timin' at some kind a statie skool in eastern Pencil-Vane-E-Ah... (I went to Indiana, PA ya Golden Ram ya'). :P

Saw Bush enough times the last two years, will have to find a way to introduce myself in 2008.

Indeed...please do.

I'll have more time to hang out and be social, now that I'm in a new role.

• 2 weeks later...
After a 40 year career in drum corps and having marched with many drum corps and under the direction of many drum majors the best D.M. i played under was Beth Coonan of the rochester crusaders 1988-1989. I never thought that I would ever say that about a female D.M. but she had great control ond knowledge of music and really made an impression on me.

This is a little OT but.............Hey Dad, you need an avatar! How about this one?

m_a21709362460db8cbd24ded079d1294c.jpg

Call me and I will tell you how to set it up. Or if you have any kingsmen photos we can upload those too.

Ok now back to the topic at hand.

Edited by Drumcorpsbrat

Two thoughts:

The drum major marking time was a big part of the transitional period in DCI corps in the late seventies. Those who marched then can help me with this, but as someone scanning the old performances on DVD, it just struck me about the drum major marking time on the podium -- what was the point? I mean, is anyone judging him on his step height, or being in step? And does it help the corps -- or the dm -- to be marching along?

Jeff Fiedler, longtime director of the Cavaliers, when he was their drum major in 1979-80, at least made it a bit more interesting by doing a split, on the podium, toward show's end.

My other thought is how much more "interactive" drum "majoring" was in the 1950s and '60s. The Cavaliers dm's were particularly well-versed in "aiming" for field judges who'd get too close to vulnerable sections and driving them away or obscuring their view. At least that was the legend, dating back to their second dm, Jarvis Fiedler (no relation to Jeff; his brother, Dave, was the first Cavaliers' dm, a naming coincidence).

What I consider to be the Holy Trinity of Drum Majors were definitely MAJOR role players in the show not only for keeping time but for GE and entertainment as well.

George Parks

Jimmy Russo

Walt Winkelman (RIP)