Cozy Baker Memorial

Just a heads up for anyone planning on attending the AL memorial service... I just got a note from his brother Joe saying that most likely it will be moved to Sunday Jan. 18th.

Edited by TomPeashey

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up Tom.

Although unable to attend my thoughts and prayers will be with Cozy's family and friends.

Jim

Just a heads up for anyone planning on attending the AL memorial service... I just got a note from his brother Joe saying that most likely it will be moved to Sunday Jan. 18th.

From Cozy's Famiy:

Our plans are for a celebration @ 1:00 PM (1300) on Sunday, 18 Jan 09 in Lake Guntersville Resort State Park, AL. We have reserved the Camellia Meeting room at the State Park Lodge. Sorry for the date change but it was based on room availability. Dress is as you please. Mike would like for everyone to be comfortable. No drinks or food are allowed to be brought into the meeting room. We will provide water, tea, and coffee. Other items can be purchased if needed in other parts of the huge lodge. Please RSVP but don't let that stop you from coming. Just want to have enough chairs.

As stated before All Mike's Family and friends are invited to share stories, music, singing, reading poems or scriptures, playing instruments, etc. Although, we will have a bit of traditional, Mike would like everyone to share this time with moments and memories.

If you know you will be playing, sharing, singing, etc., please let us know. It will help in planning. There might be some last minute decisions and that is okay, too.

We will have a couple of boards for photos. We will have a couple of tables available for memorabilia as well. Please use your judgement on what to display.

The State Parks Web Site is www.alapark.com. Need to drill down to the Lake Guntersville State Park.

Lodging is available at the Lodge itself in addition to several motels in city of Guntersville. At the state park they have chalets and cottages which have 2 Bedrooms, which sleep 6 plus rollaways can be added. As of today, they still had availability. (We rented a chalet for 111.98 @ night.) Lodge #(256)571-5440 or reservations can be made 1-800-ALA-PARK.

NOTE: The event is listed as Baker Family. Please use only this reference with the state park.

I'm planning to be there - with my horn.

Cozy had been after me for a few years to pick my horn up again. Of course, there were always other things 'more important' - so it continued to sit in the closet. Its been 30+ years since I've played anything more than a hand-full of scales and some noodlin around. The horn came out on Sunday and I've spent some time with it every day since ... and will continue to until the 18th, so I can join the ensemble that'll certainly materialize.

I know that he'll be cheering me on - no matter how bad the sound that comes out of it.

-john

Perhaps it's been posted and I'm just missing it, but if there's information on where we can send a card, or memorial contributions, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks.

Perhaps it's been posted and I'm just missing it, but if there's information on where we can send a card, or memorial contributions, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks.

I know that Cozy's family is considering an appropriate memorial, but don't believe there's been a decision made. I had some correspondence from his brother just this morning on that subject. We will certainly post the details, once we have the info. I'm sure there are a number of people that would like to make a memorial gift.

I have been incontact with his brother Joe on this... hopefully he will be able to answer this question very soon. It is being worked on. They just want to get it "right" the first time.

Thanks, guys.

Do you know of a number, email, or other means in which we can get in touch w/ Cozy's family? I may have already talked to you but I'm not sure. My husband is one of the band directors at Guntersville. There are some personal items of Cozy's in storage at the high school band room. We'd like to get them to the family. Thank you,

pb

Hi all.

With the family's permission I will be serving as music co-coordinator for Cozys memorial.

I need anyone that is wishing to preform to email me or phone me to let me know you will be available to play at the memorial scheduled for Sunday Jan 18th in Guntersville, AL.We already have members from 7 DCA corps online to play in the brass ensemble.

If you are a member on a corps message board please post my contact information and the schedule for the memorial on the boards.The family says the more the merrier.

As it stands right now we will be playing two numbers.I have secured the rights to the Kilties version of Auld Lang Syne.It is available now to download at http://www.minicorpsassociates.com/sheetmusic.htm We are also working to secure rights to a song that in Cozy's words will "Gape his pie hole".We will be playing on G bugles.Multi key arrangement's are also available.Please bring your own horn or borrow one.I do have a limited amount of horns to loan so if you are flying in and do not wish to carry one,,,please request one ASAP.

A two hour rehearsal starting at 9am will take place in Guntersville Al the morning of the 18th.If you plan to play please plan to attend this rehearsal.The family has suggested a casual dress for this event but if you would like to wear your corps uniform that would be fitting also.

We are also looking to form a honor guard.If you do not have the chops to play but would like to participate please contact me about that also.We will need the proper flags for this event so if you have them please advise me.Someone with a Honor Gaurd backgroud that knows the rules and regulations that would be willing to serve as honor guard captain please let me know.AS you know Cozy was a real stickler for by the book on this so this is something that we absolutely need to get right.

My contact information for logistical and music information is as follows.

edwardamason@yahoo.com Cell number 615.419.1566

Thanks in advance

Ed Mason

Edited by camel lips