Drums Along the Strip

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard DCI said no to this one, but the corps are getting together anyways. Seems kind of weird, but cool I guess....

Kind of a funky and different format. Anyone else notice they are wanting to crank up their own mini-tour in 2010?

"In the summer of 2010, we will launch our North America Tour, featuring the professional units of five of the biggest names in the Drum Corps activity today."

"Dallas, Texas

Denver, Colorado

Chicago, Illinois

Columbus, Ohio

Los Angeles, California

New York, New York

Salt Lake City, Utah

Toronto, Ontario"

I wonder if DCI will allow these corps to perform and/or compete outside of their parameters from a legality standpoint. Some of the questions I would have:

What if a corps has a bus/semi breakdown while at one of these shows on their way to a DCI show and cannnot make their contracted appearance?

Would this tour make the 4 western US based corps rethink what DCI shows they would schedule for 2010?

I know when the tours are being discussed, the directors will pretty much ask/request where they would like to tour i.e. California, Northwest, Rocky Mountains, midwest etc...

Would the corps benefit better financially from scheduling these shows say versus a show in Ogden, Utah or Boise, Idaho where shows have been a staple for quite some time?

Would this 2010 tour happen during the regular DCI season or beforehand? No way this could work after DCI with kids going back to school within a week or two after tour.

I'm assuming of the 8 cities listed, there is a chance these shows would be scheduled either the day before or after a DCI event in the same area. Every city pretty much has a DCI show within 50 miles of the cities listed with the exception of Toronto, but maybe Buffalo or a show in Eastern Michigan would be used as a piggyback show.

Kinda feels like going back to regional circuit days and /or the deregulation of the airline industry in the late 70's.

I flew out to California in 2004 for the Tour of Champions after DCI and though it was a pretty cool idea, but I think the intent was more to get people in California excited about DCI coming out there in 07. The corps were not judged, but they did put on some great shows.

I know Pat Haro from many years ago, in fact I believe he owned a filming company that did some of the corp's tour videos recently.

I like it when junior corps do something outside of the borders of DCI. It needs to happen more often. Just a parade is not enough. I feel like the full potential of drum corps is not even explored because everything is so strict around the DCI schedule.

...first round on Guidry.

You're on! And I can just take a cab home if the first round turns into more!

Garry IN Vegas

Sounds fun to me! Rooms are cheap in Vegas in the summer, we'd go! Sam Boyd would be a great stadium for a show

I'd go. I used to live in Vegas and I go to Vegas about once a month to visit friends anyway, so this would be a no brainer! I'd stay really close to Sam Boyd stadium and near Sam's Town.