Exploring the attitudes of fans on Indianapolis 2009-2018

I just had a thought. I live in Syracuse, NY. If I want to see every drum corps in the World Class compete, at least once in 2010, all I have to do is to attend DCI East in Allentown only . That's it! I don't have to attend any other competitions! I can see everyone on those two nights and keep my total expenses down to what it costs me to travel to Allentown, my tickets for each night, one night's (Friday)Hotel, food and drink for the weekend, and some Corps souvies. I can spend as little as $300.00 and see eveyone at least once!

However, being a former marching member and a serious drum corps addict (Yes, I am addicted to Drum Corps), this "fix" will not be enough for me. I need much more exposure to the corps than one competition or one weekend of competition can give me. I need Drum Corps exposure, for weeks and weeks! I need to be around the corps, talk with the kids, talk with other fans, and feel like I am a real part of the activity again! That is my lot in life, and I have learned to love it!

Now, what about the many tens of thousands of people out there who do not need drum corps as I do. What about those people who will be satisfied with seeing all of the corps only once? What incentive is there for those people to travel farther than from NYC to Allentown and back? What about people who live near Atlanta, GA? What incentive do they have to travel away from the Atlanta area to see the corps? Why should a man, his wife, and children, who live near Nashville, TN, travel anywhere other than Murfreesboro, TN if they can see all of the Top 8 corps there each season? Why should people travel to Indianapolis to see drum corps when they can see all the corps they want to see a lot closer to home?

Has DCI given these people any real incentive to spend their $$$ on a trip to Indianapolis? Even if they decide to go, say in 2009, why would they return to Indianapolis in 2010? To see the same corps? To sit in the same stadium? To see the same city? Don't you think they might get a bit bored with it once they have done it once or twice?

Let's look at what happened to attendance in the multli-year Orlando/DCI love affair. Did not many of the people who attended Championships in 1996 shy away from Championships in 1997 and 1998? Did not many people who experienced the rainouts in 1996 decide that they did not want to have that experience again? Did not many people refuse to purchase Disney World tickets as a part of their DCI Ticket Package, thusly opting out of Championships in 1997 and 1998?

What real incentive do people, who have no incentive to travel to Indianapolis, receive from DCI? In other words, why go to Indy when I can get it close to home? People who live in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennesee, and all through the South, don't need to go to Indy! They can go to competitions in Dallas or Houston and see most, if not all, of the World Class corps. They can attend a one-day competition in San Antonio and see most of the corps. They can attend the shows in Hattiesburg and Gadsden and see all of the World Class corps. They can see all of the Top 8 in Murfreesboro on a Friday night, and have the rest of the weekend to do other things! Or they can wait, and see eveyone in Atlanta! True, DCI is reaching a lot of people by having these competitions. But what incentive do these people have to attend Championships in Indianapolis? If they are not true "Drum Corps Nuts", why would they go to Indianapolis? If they don't "need" drum corps in their lives (as I do), why would they spend the time and money to go to Indianapolis when they can save the money, go to a "local" show, and do some other things they find more interesting?

I think that DCI will find that, as the Indy years wear on, the number of people who return to Championships will wane. People will get bored with Indianapolis, with Lucus Oil Stadiujm, and with the sameness of the whole "Championships experience". DCI will find that even their most die-hard fans will seek other activities and outlets during DCI Week because they have become bored with the "Oil Can Show". Then, there will be a very serious sound problem inside Lucus Oil Stadium during DCI Championships. The sound of DCI corps playing inside a relatively empty stadium. A stadium that, instead of having 25,000 or more rabid drum corps fans occuping it to improve the sound it affords the corps, gives the competing corps the atmosphere of a far-from-filled "Oil Can".

Just my humble opinion (Don't say I didn't warn you),

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I agree to an extent, and your concern is the first thing I thought of when this deal was originally announced. But I guess the question is, do the majority of people go to DCI Finals for DCI Finals, or to the majority of the people go to DCI Finals as a family vacation type thing? When DCI was in Orlando, family vacation mecca, attendance was low, even the first year. When Finals is in Madison, a non-family vacation town, attendance is strong. I know that I would have a better chance going to finals in Indy than most other places in the country, because it's only a three or four hour drive from my family's house in OH so I wouldn't have huge expenses as far as accommodations. I also know many people who live in the mid-west who haven't typically gone to finals but have been going the past couple of years (and plan on going annually in Indy) because of the location. So there might be some people who look at DCI Finals as a vacation type thing, and want more out of Finals venue then good drum corps. But there might also be plenty of people who go just for drum corps, and will go regardless. Only time will tell...

Why should people attend DCI Championships in Indy repeatedly? Because it is Championships. If you want to see Championships you will be there.

Why do people go to Allentown repeatedly? Because they want to go to Allentown.

Attendance does not wane in Allentown just because we've been there before. We go for the Allentown experience.

If DCI wants to encourage people to attend DCI Championships in future years, why not offer some additional travel incentives?

They do have deals with hotels (prices are too high to be a real incentive for most people) and rental car companies (very good idea and good pricing).

What about Air, Rail and Bus travel? If DCI made a deal with a national air carrier and negotiated discounted prices for fans, more people would come! The same with Amtrak! Many people love to travel by rail! Why not get a "DCI Rail Deal" arranged for fares to and from Indy? I might get on board myself!

Bus travel: I doubt that DCI could come up with a better deal than the Greyhound Discovery Pass!

Chartered Coach travel: DCI could definately get in on this one! They could offer Charter Motorcoach Drum Corps Tours or transportation from various major cities, making stops to view competitions and to pick up passengers, on the way to Indianapolis! The buses would drop off passengers in reverse order. The one I would be most interested in might go something like this:

August 6 (8am) start loading NYC area passengers at Giant's Stadium

August 6 (9 am) NYC / Giant's Stadium to Allentown, PA

August 8 (8 am) Take on additional passengers in Allentown, PA

August 8 (9 am) Allentown, PA to West Chester, PA

August 8 (11 pm) Take on additional passengers in West Chester, PA

August 9 (12 am) West Chester, PA to Pittsburgh, PA

August 9 (6 am) Take on additional passengers in Pittsburg, PA

August 9 (7 am) Pittsburgh, PA to Toledo, OH

August 10 (8 am) Take on additional passengers in Toledo, OH

August 10 (9 am) Toledo, OH to Michigan City, IN

August 11 (5 pm) Take on additional passengers in Michigan City, IN

August 11 (4 pm) Michigan City, IN to Indianapolis, IN

August 15 (9 am) Return to East coast (Reverse order)

I know that DCI can do this sort of thing. They arranged the round-trip transportation of thousands of fans from the Indy hotels to the Stadium in Bloomington in 2008! Why not go a step farther and do "Super-Fan Tours"? Talk about a great drum corps experience!!!

Just an idea, folks.

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Why should people attend DCI Championships in Indy repeatedly? Because it is Championships. If you want to see Championships you will be there.

Why do people go to Allentown repeatedly? Because they want to go to Allentown.

Attendance does not wane in Allentown just because we've been there before. We go for the Allentown experience.

I attend DCI competitions because I am a "Drum Corps Addict". Most people are not. People who attend competitions year after year are not the majority. We are a very, very, very small minority of the popuation of the US and Canada.

My point is, How can DCI get more people who are and who not drum corps fanatics to attend DCI Championships and how can DCI get them to come back?

As I previously stated, 2010 will be the last time I will watch DCI in a closed roof stadium. The sound is unacceptable.

I attend DCI competitions because I am a "Drum Corps Addict". Most people are not. People who attend competitions year after year are not the majority. We are a very, very, very small minority of the popuation of the US and Canada.

My point is, How can DCI get more people who are and who not drum corps fanatics to attend DCI Championships and how can DCI get them to come back?

As I previously stated, 2010 will be the last time I will watch DCI in a closed roof stadium. The sound is unacceptable.

Hi Ron!

I am Cavalier Ed and Chuck's friend from Milwaukee.

I like the fact that it is centrally located. I also found a very inexpensive room, near where my old corps the Velvet Knights were housing. Once you know your way on the local freeway system, Indy is very easy to navigate. Of course I also did very well on the Jersey Turnpike when I was marching with my dream corps in Bayonne.

I look forward to Indy and now know the best parking areas, the best food and beverage stops and even where my corps pals are staying. I think once people get used to Indy, they will enjoy coming there, due to the familiarity with amenities and shopping. I don't really go to watch drum corps, I go to hang out, fraternize and socialize. I do enjoy watching certain corps though...

Dale. (er, Mack to some!)

I have gone to Indianapolis (yes, I know finals ended up in Bloomington in 08) for the last two years and have bought my tickets and hotel room already for this years finals. I am a drum corps addict too, but while I agree that it makes it more difficult for people in other parts of the country, this has become a yearly pilgrimage for me and my brothers. While there are issues with LOS, I feel so privileged to be able to attend finals every year. I am extremely excited this year because we finally have a BIG show in Minnesota, but that wouldn't change the fact that I will always attend finals if possible.

Hi Ron!

I am Cavalier Ed and Chuck's friend from Milwaukee.

I like the fact that it is centrally located. I also found a very inexpensive room, near where my old corps the Velvet Knights were housing. Once you know your way on the local freeway system, Indy is very easy to navigate. Of course I also did very well on the Jersey Turnpike when I was marching with my dream corps in Bayonne.

I look forward to Indy and now know the best parking areas, the best food and beverage stops and even where my corps pals are staying. I think once people get used to Indy, they will enjoy coming there, due to the familiarity with amenities and shopping. I don't really go to watch drum corps, I go to hang out, fraternize and socialize. I do enjoy watching certain corps though...

Dale. (er, Mack to some!)

Hi, Dale! Great to hear from you and thanks for your input! I hope to see you at a show in the Midwest as I tour with a corps in June!

Yours,

Ron Gunn

Hi, Dale! Great to hear from you and thanks for your input! I hope to see you at a show in the Midwest as I tour with a corps in June!

Yours,

Ron Gunn

I'll have my auld buddy from Tbolts/ 76/ Kilties with me too, the mighty retired postal Dave! Now that he is retired, he is just itching to hit all the local shows, plus nationals...twice! Make sure to come up and say hi! You know where to find me...the tailgate with Hawthorne blaring! :tongue:

If DCI wants to encourage people to attend DCI Championships in future years, why not offer some additional travel incentives?

They do have deals with hotels (prices are too high to be a real incentive for most people) and rental car companies (very good idea and good pricing).

What about Air, Rail and Bus travel? If DCI made a deal with a national air carrier and negotiated discounted prices for fans, more people would come! The same with Amtrak! Many people love to travel by rail! Why not get a "DCI Rail Deal" arranged for fares to and from Indy? I might get on board myself!

Bus travel: I doubt that DCI could come up with a better deal than the Greyhound Discovery Pass!

Chartered Coach travel: DCI could definately get in on this one! They could offer Charter Motorcoach Drum Corps Tours or transportation from various major cities, making stops to view competitions and to pick up passengers, on the way to Indianapolis! The buses would drop off passengers in reverse order. The one I would be most interested in might go something like this:

August 6 (8am) start loading NYC area passengers at Giant's Stadium

August 6 (9 am) NYC / Giant's Stadium to Allentown, PA

August 8 (8 am) Take on additional passengers in Allentown, PA

August 8 (9 am) Allentown, PA to West Chester, PA

August 8 (11 pm) Take on additional passengers in West Chester, PA

August 9 (12 am) West Chester, PA to Pittsburgh, PA

August 9 (6 am) Take on additional passengers in Pittsburg, PA

August 9 (7 am) Pittsburgh, PA to Toledo, OH

August 10 (8 am) Take on additional passengers in Toledo, OH

August 10 (9 am) Toledo, OH to Michigan City, IN

August 11 (5 pm) Take on additional passengers in Michigan City, IN

August 11 (4 pm) Michigan City, IN to Indianapolis, IN

August 15 (9 am) Return to East coast (Reverse order)

I know that DCI can do this sort of thing. They arranged the round-trip transportation of thousands of fans from the Indy hotels to the Stadium in Bloomington in 2008! Why not go a step farther and do "Super-Fan Tours"? Talk about a great drum corps experience!!!

Just an idea, folks.

Ron Gunn

i like the super fan tours idea.