The tick system from BITD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Peashey had a GREAT reply to this question over in the DCP forums...I'll take a look.

I just used that new-fangled thing called "Search" in Historical but found no Peashey comments on it.

I'm sure (SURE) this subject is beaten to death somewhere.

Current comments (in context of today's judging angst on DCP) would be nice, and links to past discussions would be good, too.

Would somebody 'splain what was wrong with the judging system:

3 tick judges subtracting execution errors

3 accretive judges who gave credit for execution

3 accretive G.E. judges

...and why it wouldn't be a better system than today?

Ticks are highly subjective (What is a tick and what is not?).

This would penalize corps trying to do something more difficult.

I personally would much rather see a corps attempt something truly amazing, and be just a little dirty, than a corps perform a semi-easy show that is nearly perfect.

For instance, my favorite show is Phantom 2008...... and with any kind of tick system.... even involving only a third of the judges, that show would have probably finished 4th or 5th.

EDIT: Now that I think about it.... if there was a tick system, Phantom Regiment would have probably never even attempted a show like Spartacus..... and that would be a far bigger travesty than them just finishing 4th or 5th.

Edited by Tez

Ticks are highly subjective (What is a tick and what is not?).

This would penalize corps trying to do something more difficult.

I personally would much rather see a corps attempt something truly amazing, and be just a little dirty, than a corps perform a semi-easy show that is nearly perfect.

For instance, my favorite show is Phantom 2008...... and with any kind of tick system.... even involving only a third of the judges, that show would have probably finished 4th or 5th.

With full recognition that this topic has been beaten to death over time, and at the risk of continuing a thread that few care about...

A tick in execution would be a (for instance):

Blown attack or release

diddleflops that sound like buzz rolls

a flag out of time with the rest of the line

timing issues across the field

I could go on, of course.

Credit for difficulty was supposed to be credited by another three judges and might offset the negative ticks.

What am I missing and why wouldn't this work today?

With full recognition that this topic has been beaten to death over time, and at the risk of continuing a thread that few care about...

A tick in execution would be a (for instance):

Blown attack or release

diddleflops that sound like buzz rolls

a flag out of time with the rest of the line

timing issues across the field

I could go on, of course.

Credit for difficulty was supposed to be credited by another three judges and might offset the negative ticks.

What am I missing and why wouldn't this work today?

Seems to me, in order to be fair, that the judges using a tick system would have to know and understand the technique that each corps uses and teaches. With such a wide variety, especially in the visual category, this would be VERY difficult.

Not much IMO.

The problem with America today is that we refuse to call a mistake a mistake.

AKA 'Moral Relativism'

This is exactly what I've always feared was the root of the issue.

We're all winners! Yea!

Wrong in life, and wrong in DC, IMHO.

Seems to me, in order to be fair, that the judges using a tick system would have to know and understand the technique that each corps uses and teaches. With such a wide variety, especially in the visual category, this would be VERY difficult.

Why not a percussion tick judge, a horns tick judge, and a guard tick judge? (Yeah, like they used to have.) Wouldn't those judges be informed of "technique"? And who cares about techinque if the end product comes across as garbage in the press box?

:thumbup:

Edited by garfield

Would somebody 'splain what was wrong with the judging system:

3 tick judges subtracting execution errors

3 accretive judges who gave credit for execution

3 accretive G.E. judges

...and why it wouldn't be a better system than today?

I would start off with baby steps first. For example any equipment or person who hits the ground...............TICK

Tape each Show and if the instructors want to challenge the count they can. With the knowledge that a drop missed during the show yet found in the challenge, that drop will count against the Corps final score. Nothing subjective. It is what it is.......A drop. IMO.

Dean