Thinning the DCA Talent Pool...

DCI Proposed Rule Changes Link

Just got the latestest DCI update that Hopkins proposal to extend the age limit for DCI by another 5 months is on the table again for the DCI rules congress at the end of the month. Great George, hold on to those kids and gather up their money for another year. You've already run most of the 14-16 year olds out of the activity by all but killing the Div II / III part of the activity and now you're going to make sure that corps can fill their ranks with HS grads and college students. I guess DCA will have to wait until kids turn 25 before they finish their DCI careers. Heck, why not make it age 30 and maybe some of them can bring their spouses and kids on tour with them. Each corps can add another tour bus that functions as a day care while the members are rehearsing.

When Hopkins finally gets bored with DCI and hangs it up he is going to have run the activity into the ground just like Donald Trump and his greed did with the USFL. They try to mold it to their liking and then when they get bored they leave it in shambles hanging on by a thread. Ten years from now none of us are even going to be able to tell DCA from HS marching band competition and/or Blast! 20 years ago, every small town in the midwest had a drum corps show and the corps performed every night. Now there a total of ONE show within 2 hours of me and that's once a year. Wow, such progress in the activity and that's to say nothing for the number of corps left in DCI.

I'm glad DCA is still centered on the "corps" values of the activity - Percussion, brass, guard, a football field with lines - and that's it.

Ok I feel better now. Thanks DCA for helping to preserve (and grow!) the real drum corps activity.

Ryan J

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it as that much of an issue, and here's why:

cost.

at most it gives kids an extra 150 days they don't have under the current rules. as DCA gets younger every year and DCI gets more expensive...I mean 3k for Cadets this year.....I don't see it hurting DCA as much as some may

Sorry but I see nothing wrong with extending it. Why are only a few allowed to turn 22 and not others.

I can't see how this is going to cause a HUGE impact on DCA corps. If anything, it will allow younger members to build up their skills in DCA for a little bit longer before deciding to give DCI a try.

Each person/member would have the option to stay in corps a little longer. Here's a problem, 21 year olds would probably need to get a real job soon and parents aren't going to support their 21 or 22 year olds. I wouldn't.

DCA is what drum corps was and still is and they are growing. Raising the age limit in DCI will not hurt DCA. If someone wants to marchbut can't do 2 month tours, they certainly can do weekends. I was not a fan of DCA BITD but found the experience fun and rewarding as well as educational.

Lets just cut the crap and really decide what this activity is going to be.

Its not a youth activity anymore. Thats one reason the four corps did do well in the Chase Community Fund. People see this as a past time of the upper middle class. While we (you) may argue that its not many people don't see spending 2-3k for a summer of travelling and playing music as a neccessity when unemployment is around 6-8% up to 17% in some cities.

Its about winning..period point blank. While some corps do care about the develop of the kids most are focused on having the best and the brightest. If they have a choice between a good 18yo and a good 22yo who do you think they will pick. And since the 22yo will usually have more experience they will get picked over younger players. 14-17yo don't stand a chance in the top 14-15.

The only way for the activity to survivce is to change...drastically. Having fans isn't the issue. Its having corps and we are losing more then we're gaining. Right now DCI is like the telephone bubble years ago. It sounded like a good business idea until people found out how much it really cost and they got out fast. Look back on how many people announced starting a corps. Look at how many have made it to the field then look at how many total corps we had 10 years ago. Think buggy whip.

And please face reality and not say "I rather have the 12 best corps then the a bunch a okay corps" Which is the DUMBEST arguement ever.

Sorry but I see nothing wrong with extending it. Why are only a few allowed to turn 22 and not others.

I agree.... as long as this is not the proverbial "camel's nose under the tent" paving the way for a future increase to age 25 or something.

Then again... as another poster has touched on.....sooner or later, young people have to move on to "real life"...jobs, careers, family obligations, etc. With all that on their plates, I'm not sure how many 23, 24 or 25-year-olds could continue doing a full DCI tour...probably not many at all. But the DCA weekend-only model does give them a chance to continue with their drum corps career, if they want to continue.

Fran

Its about winning..period point blank.

Pretty much...

Let's face it, without the competitive side. The members are more apt to just play with a local brass band, winter drumline, winter guard, pipe band, gigging rock / country band, or other LESS expensive persuits.

It really depends on your perspective though. Do you get on with your life at 18? Out the door working stiff, wife + kids + dog + cat + home + career...? Or is it 22, the year you graduate college? Or is it 25, when your insurers consider you an adult? Or is it 55 when you get $10 off your denny's order? Or is it.......

Will six months make a difference? Not in my opinion. That would probably affect less than 10% of the corps on a given season back when I marched. And unless you're in danger of not meeting some minimum, that's really not of any consequence most years.

DCI Proposed Rule Changes Link

Just got the latestest DCI update that Hopkins proposal to extend the age limit for DCI by another 5 months is on the table again for the DCI rules congress at the end of the month. Great George, hold on to those kids and gather up their money for another year. You've already run most of the 14-16 year olds out of the activity by all but killing the Div II / III part of the activity and now you're going to make sure that corps can fill their ranks with HS grads and college students. I guess DCA will have to wait until kids turn 25 before they finish their DCI careers. Heck, why not make it age 30 and maybe some of them can bring their spouses and kids on tour with them. Each corps can add another tour bus that functions as a day care while the members are rehearsing.

When Hopkins finally gets bored with DCI and hangs it up he is going to have run the activity into the ground just like Donald Trump and his greed did with the USFL. They try to mold it to their liking and then when they get bored they leave it in shambles hanging on by a thread. Ten years from now none of us are even going to be able to tell DCA from HS marching band competition and/or Blast! 20 years ago, every small town in the midwest had a drum corps show and the corps performed every night. Now there a total of ONE show within 2 hours of me and that's once a year. Wow, such progress in the activity and that's to say nothing for the number of corps left in DCI.

I'm glad DCA is still centered on the "corps" values of the activity - Percussion, brass, guard, a football field with lines - and that's it.

Ok I feel better now. Thanks DCA for helping to preserve (and grow!) the real drum corps activity.

Ryan J

A very interesting rant. I found it quite funny actually.

I don’t think you need to worry about George ruining drum corps all by himself as you put it. There are many other factors doing this already. I don’t agree with everything he has done over the years but I do admire his dedication to the activity and the youth who participate year in and year out. He has done more good for the activity then bad. For instance, he saved Crossmen and Cadets from extinction years ago. Crossmen honoured him this year with an induction into their hall of fame.

I guess he is also responsible for all the shows that don’t exist anymore as you pointed out. Sorry but you are so wrong. YEA and the Cadets currently sponsor more DCI shows than any other corps.

I guess you will blame him next for the Rochester Crusaders problems this year and all the past DCA corps that have folded.

If you look at the current membership in the top DCA corps, and this has been discussed on DCP in the past, there is a very small amount of age outs going from DCI to DCA. They are just starting their adult lives and when ready and wanting to, will go to DCA. The 21-23 year olds are a very small factor in the DCA equation.

Edited by Canuck DCGroupie

The relationship between DCI and DCA is a lot like the relationship between matter and anti-matter.

Regardless of how major the changes between the two, I don't think I've ever seen the problems of one bleeding over on the other. If it happened, the universe would probably explode.

Edited by ContraRich77

The relationship between DCI and DCI is a lot like the relationship between matter and anti-matter.

Regardless of how major the changes between the two, I don't think I've ever seen the problems of one bleeding over on the other. If it happened, the universe would probably explode.

That, and people need to stop blaming Hopkins for everything from sunspots to hairloss. All you are doing is projecting your own inequities onto an easy target.