Rules Changes, Day 2

If we can get the "gotta have saxophones, light shows, etc" itch out with the Hop proposal, then fine. You have time now to do whatever you want creatively to set a mood, and then hit us with some brass sound.

However, if this is some sort of end-around to get woodwinds, flamethrowers etc out there . . .with this pre-show rule passing and the rationale a few years later as . . . "it's already out there in the pre-show, so let's legalize it", then . . .well, I guess the slippery slope argument has merit.

I want to believe the former, but I have an inkling that by 2015, it'll be the latter.

I feel the Hopkins proposal is an end-around. In about 2 years it will be "we already do it for the first 6 minutes, why not the other 12?" Besides that, the proposal itself makes the process more complicated, I think, not less.

I much prefer the DiCarlo proposal, which is much more straightforward while achieving the same goals and doesn't require reblocking corps times. (Which in the case of, say, the San Antonio show, adds a half-hour to the show time.)

Mike

If we can get the "gotta have saxophones, light shows, etc" itch out with the Hop proposal, then fine. You have time now to do whatever you want creatively to set a mood, and then hit us with some brass sound.

However, if this is some sort of end-around to get woodwinds, flamethrowers etc out there . . .with this pre-show rule passing and the rationale a few years later as . . . "it's already out there in the pre-show, so let's legalize it", then . . .well, I guess the slippery slope argument has merit.

I want to believe the former, but I have an inkling that by 2015, it'll be the latter.

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one would be ALL for seeing flamethrowers on a football field. :tongue:

Forgot to add an addendum: in addition to flamethrowers, disco balls would also be awesome.

Edited by perc2100

I feel the Hopkins proposal is an end-around. In about 2 years it will be "we already do it for the first 6 minutes, why not the other 12?" Besides that, the proposal itself makes the process more complicated, I think, not less.

I much prefer the DiCarlo proposal, which is much more straightforward while achieving the same goals and doesn't require reblocking corps times. (Which in the case of, say, the San Antonio show, adds a half-hour to the show time.)

Mike

I agree. I wonder why a drum corps would waste time and effort programming and cleaning a product that they can't compete with. It would seem like a waste of resources, IMO. I can understand wanting to have absolute freedom with design choices, but IMO it should be all or nothing: if it's not legal in competition, why bother with it in a pre-show?

Of course, the thought could be,

"He, if we have a three minute preshow oboe feature, the audience will be so ###### off that when we start the competitive show with just brass and percussion they will be overjoyed and love us!" :tongue:

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one would be ALL for seeing flamethrowers on a football field. :tongue:

. . .well, I'll wager you could get your wish if the Hop version of this goes through.

It's all the other stuff that comes with it that could end up being the problem (hey, woodwinds are flammable . . . :lol: ).

I can understand for the 18-minute proposal and adding a minute for setup time, but personally I don't see why we could stay with just 17 minutes. There hasn't been a problem with setup time that I know of from last year. The only dilemma we faced was show length, but we handled it as needed throughout the season.

Forgot to add an addendum: in addition to flamethrowers, disco balls would also be awesome.

Hey guys ...

Flames would be very nice, very nice indeed!!!

Absolutely - the Hopkins proposal is a backdoor to woodwinds.

Frankly, I think corps could use woodwinds in their pre-shows now. His proposal introduces two differences, one being the change from 17 to 18 minute time slots, the other being the extension of GE judging to a portion of performance not governed by rules regarding instrumentation. Then he'll come back in 2011, arguing how they're already on the field, they're already being judged, so just let them in the rest of the show.

By the way, this three-minute no-rules phase....would the age rule not apply? Could more than 150 perform then? Pyrotechnics?

flamethrowers.jpg